Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am guessing MANY of the people with complaints have never bought a 1st gen product before because I cannot understand why people are shocked with the problems they have. When PSP first came out the entire 1st gen was plagued with dead pixels same goes for the DS and guess what the DS has sold MILLIONS after its disaster of a launch. The thing is YOU are the person who couldnít wait for things to get stable and YOU are the reason why you donít have a PERFECT pre because it hasnít been PERFECTED YET. The Treo 755p was the pinnacle of Treos it was like 10 years in the making. The Pre is on what month 2 and for it to be as far along as it is, to me, is very impressive. I happen to have a Pre thatís perfect and I am shocked but I have none of the problems people have experienced. I know some might want to say I am lying to myself but really since launch week I have noticed that

1) battery life is much better
    2) my signal strength (Philadelphia area) has improved DRAMATICALLY
    3) my apps are opening faster

3 of the most important things for me in a phone and if signal has not been better recently in your area just wait, because I have a feeling that sprint has been capping the strength of these phones due to the high demand of network usage these phones have. We still donít even know the capabilities of the PRE we are seeing PSX run on it and the SDK hasnít even arrived (officially). So I say to all the "Pre haters" maybe 1st gen devices are not for you and wait a year, like most of people who understand what happens with 1st gen devices , and you might get your "Perfect Pre". And to the Palm fans donít let a few posters ruin your experience.
    lol. i think it's funny that a lot of people are of the opinion that dead pixels are to be expected of any new product. How about manufacturing in Korea instead of some cheap China factory?
  3.    #3  
    I agree dead pixels are annoying and i would take back the PRE if i had them too. I wasnt trying to say deal with your wobbly slider im just saying i, before buying the phone, expected i might have to make a few returns to get a good one. The PSP is just as cheaply made, but the dead pixel problem is over because sony got better over time in making the system.
    3 of the 4 pres I've gone through have had multiple dead/stuck pixels which were aggravating. My 3rd phone would shut off randomly, but once i took the battery out of my 4th Pre with dead pixels and put it into that 3rd one, it has not shut off one time. Now I am actually very happy that the Pre I have is working fine and has no dead or stuck pixels. Today I'm going to call Palm and let them know I will be sending back that fourth pre they just sent me with the battery from my 3rd.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Can we get a rant and RAVE subforum mods?
    I and many others predicted before launch that these forums would turn into whine fests.

It's just the nature of the beast whenever anything new is released. Lots of people rush out to buy it, because it's new, yet lots of people don't fully understand the patience required with a new product.

Every new product released goes through growth pains and it's inevitable that people that are not typical early adopters will jump in with excitement and then jump out. I've seen it with every new product release.

I just can't wait till the 6th passes, hopefully the goodbye threads and crybaby threads mostly go away.
    I highly doubt Sprint is "capping" signal strength. I don't even think that is possible. It's possible to cap bandwidth allocated to a phone, but not reduce it's signal strength, which is the major problem for many of us Pre owners. And even if it were possible i'd be pretty worried if Sprint couldn't handle 400,000 new phones effectively.

And the reason people are worried about the SDK is developers have said that it doesn't allow for creation of hardware accelerated 3D games. As you've seen from that PSX emulator, it is possible, but games like that won't be officially permissible by the SDK. You'd have to hack your Pre to install games like that that require deeper access to the OS than Mojo allows.
    SCH-A890 --> VX 9800 "V" --> VX 9900 "enV" --> Blackberry 8330 --> iPhone 3G --> Palm Pre --> iPhone 3GS
    Quote Originally Posted by Quold View Post
    +1
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    +2

Like the sony PSP when that came out tons had dead pixels.
    I had one with a dead pixel. I wasn't to bothered by it.
    I don't think a rant and raves subforum is necessary. This is a general discussion forum for the Pre and these are discussions. I think you should resist the temptation to ban discussions you may not like to a separate "ghetto" forum. We all suffer when free exchange of thoughts and ideas (even those contrary to our own) is curtailed. We don't restrict people to ghettos because of race or religion anymore and we shouldn't be doing it for having contrary thoughts on this forum either.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    I have had no hardware problems at all and I love and am keeping my Pre. I agree that we must be of a mindset that this is a new product and there will be bugs to work out and steady improvements made over time. I, too, have faith that Palm and 3rd party developers will come through in the coming months. I also absolutely love the web and email functionality and it's light years ahead of my old Treo!

On the down side, I had a miserable time trying to port my calendar data to work. The same data that works fine on my Treo 755p, Palm Desktop, and iCal, remains completely unusable on the Pre and crashed it every time. Even after I just started fresh with all new appointments, the Pre calendar is painfully slow and sorely lacking in features. But that's my problem and I'm willing to wait for Palm and 3rd parties to fix this stuff.
    Having said all that, I find the argument that the Pre is a brand new product and we shouldn't expect it to out perform a Treo, is a bit like saying we shouldn't expect a startup car company to have power steering, seat belts, or an FM radio if the car looks cool and goes fast.

What I expected was that the Pre would be a little 1st generation buggy (as all new devices are) but offer a core of applications and functionality on par with what was available 4 or 5 years ago, plus some "wow" features like a killer web browser and solid email.

What surprised me is that the company that made a name for itself as a PIM leader (and has a sizable following specifically because of their PIM functionality) would be satisfied to release a product with somewhat less PIM capability that the iPhone and far less than their own legacy hardware.

What disappointed/angered me is that Palm didn't 'man-up' and build a solid Palm OS emulator and include it for free. That would be amazingly helpful to former customers AND developers and everyone would have had a little breathing room while developments could unfold. Not to mention that Palm could have introduced a smartphone with 20,000 working apps instead of 20. Leaving this to a 3rd party is just sad.

What I've come to realize is that an area which is very important to me (PIM stuff) will probably eventually be addressed and Palm had to make some strategic decisions to get the biggest bang with gadget media on rollout day, so they could get solid PRPRPR $and$ $sell$ $more$ $handsets$.

Just because one person is totally happy while others are disappointed and talking about it, doesn't mean that complaints shouldn't be mentioned. (Just keep it constructive and for gosh sakes, no whining!) I would think constructive criticism could help Palm and developers see what's important to work on.

As I stated, I love the Pre and I'm keeping it. And as impressed as I am, I'm still a little disappointed and surprised too. But I'm willing to bet that, in 6 months or so, all my big issues will be history and both Palm and developers will regularly amaze us with their incredible offerings and improvements. Besides, Palm/Sprint has me for a couple more years... let's see what happens!
    IMHO, it is much easier to be patient and wait for the software updates to add the (many) missing features than it is to deal with hardware issues. A screen bubble, or bad key, or cracked screen cannot be corrected Over The Air. If the user did not cause these hardware issues, they may get cold feet regarding keeping the device -- especially if Palm and Sprint insist the screen cracking is user abuse when this is not always true. If the perceived durability of the Pre improves, hopefully people will calm down around here (myself included).
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chodaboy View Post
    IMHO, it is much easier to be patient and wait for the software updates to add the (many) missing features than it is to deal with hardware issues. A screen bubble, or bad key, or cracked screen cannot be corrected Over The Air. If the user did not cause these hardware issues, they may get cold feet regarding keeping the device -- especially if Palm and Sprint insist the screen cracking is user abuse when this is not always true. If the perceived durability of the Pre improves, hopefully people will calm down around here (myself included).
    Correct, in a way. Palm does actually know about the screen cracking issue and they will repair the issue for free. Hope this helps.
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    These kind of post are ridiculous. I'm on my second Pre, which has minor hardware issues, but I'm much more satisfied with it and will be keeping it. If it weren't for the post stating issues and how they were dealt with I probably would not have known the degree of the issue with my Pre or have found a tested method of dealing with it. What kind of world do you live in where you Pay $400 for a defective product and some how that's O.K., the principle of the situation would beg any responsible adult to act. Especially if you are going to spend one or two years using the product.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KeFkA666 View Post
    The thing is YOU are the person who couldnít wait for things to get stable and YOU are the reason why you donít have a PERFECT pre because it hasnít been PERFECTED YET.
    Blaming the consumer for the flaws of the corporation? I thought that was an Apple exclusive feature.
    Quote Originally Posted by mojuice View Post
    lol. i think it's funny that a lot of people are of the opinion that dead pixels are to be expected of any new product. How about manufacturing in Korea instead of some cheap China factory?
    IIRC, Foxconn also makes the fabled, indestructible, magical, has "an App that even wipes my ****", iPhone.
    I agree. Even though people are quite entitled to report their problems, most of them are nothing new and it is becoming very difficult, with the volume of traffic, to sift out the productive and useful information.
    Global Posts
    351 Global Posts
    multitasking
    why do people need forums to tell them if they should buy/change/return/sell a phone? How about you read the 1,000 of real reviews there are or the videos about the produc. And if you have a defective phone (got my pre at launch and it is perfect, no lie) just return it... or not, who cares?!
    Quote Originally Posted by KeFkA666 View Post
    I am guessing MANY of the people with complaints have never bought a 1st gen product before because I cannot understand why people are shocked with the problems they have. When PSP first came out the entire 1st gen was plagued with dead pixels same goes for the DS and guess what the DS has sold MILLIONS after its disaster of a launch. The thing is YOU are the person who couldnít wait for things to get stable and YOU are the reason why you donít have a PERFECT pre because it hasnít been PERFECTED YET. The Treo 755p was the pinnacle of Treos it was like 10 years in the making. The Pre is on what month 2 and for it to be as far along as it is, to me, is very impressive. I happen to have a Pre thatís perfect and I am shocked but I have none of the problems people have experienced. I know some might want to say I am lying to myself but really since launch week I have noticed that

1) battery life is much better
    2) my signal strength (Philadelphia area) has improved DRAMATICALLY
    3) my apps are opening faster

3 of the most important things for me in a phone and if signal has not been better recently in your area just wait, because I have a feeling that sprint has been capping the strength of these phones due to the high demand of network usage these phones have. We still donít even know the capabilities of the PRE we are seeing PSX run on it and the SDK hasnít even arrived (officially). So I say to all the "Pre haters" maybe 1st gen devices are not for you and wait a year, like most of people who understand what happens with 1st gen devices , and you might get your "Perfect Pre". And to the Palm fans donít let a few posters ruin your experience.
    Thank you. That was a great post. Some people are just clueless. I have a Pre and have zero complaints and this is coming from an iPhone 3G which has had years to perfect many flaws. ZERO complaints and excitement for what's to come.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast