Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    As close as we'll get to an iPhone app for now.

MLB.com Debuts Premium Mobile Service for Palm Pre

Feature set includes live stats, video highlights and streaming audio broadcasts of every game

NEW YORK, July 2 /PRNewswire/ -- MLB.com, the official Web site of Major League Baseball, announced that MLB.com Mobile Premium, a new mobile-optimized live game product developed for the Palm(R) Pre(TM) smartphone, is available on the device via the MLB.com mobile Web site (wap.mlb.com).

Fans can stay connected to their favorite team wherever they go with these four live game components of MLB.com Mobile Premium:

* MLB.com Mobile Gameday Audio(TM) - Listen to live audio broadcasts of every Major League Baseball game through the final out of the 2009 World Series. Each game will offer the choice of listening to the home or away broadcasts without any blackout restrictions.

* MLB.com Gameday(TM) - Follow every pitch of every game with a detailed graphic presentation and live statistics.

* In-Game Video Highlights - Get realtime, high quality video highlights delivered directly to the smartphone quickly after the play happens on the field.

* Expanded scoreboard - View live statistical data from every MLB game, including linescores, current runners on base and other game details.

MLB.com Mobile Premium on the Palm(R) Pre(TM) is available to subscribers for a one-time fee of $14.99 for the remainder of the 2009 season, including the entire postseason, or a monthly charge of $2.99.

SOURCE MLB.com
    good news!!!
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    Love it...I can't wait until they start streaming audio and video to the phone through an official app.
    i already pay for gameday audio and mlb.tv. they want me to pay another 15 bucks.

no thanks.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    This is GREAT NEWS!!! I don't even have a pre yet but this defenitely means they'll be making an official app for the pre!!
    Why would an app be better? This looks fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Well I don't have A pre yet so I don't know what it looks like, but if they make an app it'll be quicker to get there And I also didn't see any mention of live video streaming.
    You can add a bookmark to your launcher. Like giving it an app icon. I have my bookmarks in my launcher.
    If this is like the one for the iPhone, it is a standalone application, not just web access. I love the one that is on my iPhone, it's great being able to listen to the Yankee radio broadcasts live. It streams the audio with no delays, almost like being in the ballpark.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe View Post
    i already pay for gameday audio and mlb.tv. they want me to pay another 15 bucks.

no thanks.
    Yeah, I already have a MLB.TV Premium membership that I pay $20 a month for...and now they are trying to get another $3 a month from me because their primary website won't work on my WebKit-based browser? On top of that, this is audio only yet the iPhone gets video? That just sucks. Perhaps I need to rethink if the $20 a month is worth it to me. Right now, I am only watching 2 or 3 games a month online...and this insult is enough to make me reconsider my existing membership.
  11. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    I don't like sports. Nobody does.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRick10 View Post
    You can add a bookmark to your launcher. Like giving it an app icon. I have my bookmarks in my launcher.
    Yes you're right but it's probably quicker to navigate through an app then through the browser and I'm sure they'll probably add live game streaming to an app like they did recently with the iPhone.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRick10 View Post
    How do you add a bookmark to your launcher?
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    MLB AtBat on the iPhone is easily the cleanest and most feature rich app they have. $9.99 for gameday audio, gameday, highlights AND live video of selected games. All within an easy to navigate interface. My iPhone isnt even connected to ATT but I still bought the app just to use over Wi-Fi because I even prefer it over the internet version of GameDay.

DISCLAIMER: Please do not read further if negativity bothers anyone because I've been using this and there definitely are pros and cons worth mentioning when comparing to the iPhone app:

Pros:
    - Video Highlights look better due to the smaller/brighter screen
    - Audio comes through clean as a bell
    - Better than nothing

Cons:
    - NO MULTITASKING! Audio plays through the Pre video player with a black screen. IF that screen isn't the active card the audio is interrupted.
    - Video highlights are slow to load
    - Expensive in comparison. $9.99 iPhone App vs $2.99/mo or $14.99/season
    (Obviously monthly is better at this point of the season)
    - Constant card errors. I know this won't affect everyone, but in 2 days usage I've hit the card limit several times when browsing within the site and audio running.
    - No magic button to make the Cubs quit humiliating themselves.

So despite the negatives, I'm definitely glad it's here. But hopefully by next season they make a standalone app and they don't treat WebOS as another second class citizen to the iPhone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    If nobody likes sports they why was this thread even created? And if you don't like sports then ignore the thread and don't read it.
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
    Yeah, I already have a MLB.TV Premium membership that I pay $20 a month for...and now they are trying to get another $3 a month from me because their primary website won't work on my WebKit-based browser? On top of that, this is audio only yet the iPhone gets video? That just sucks. Perhaps I need to rethink if the $20 a month is worth it to me. Right now, I am only watching 2 or 3 games a month online...and this insult is enough to make me reconsider my existing membership.
    im sure once flash comes to the pre, video will come, but will they charge more for it?

i too watch too few games on mlb.tv to justify paying the $100+ i pay for it. I may cancel it next year.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    I noticed this last night that GameDay Audio was available now. As for the people complaining that their PC MLB Audio subscription isn't valid for the mobile version, it never has been. You have to buy the app on the iPhone for $9.99, and I had to pay a separate subscription fee for GameDay Audio on my Mogul. It's only $3 a month so it's not going to break the bank.

It does suck that switching cards stops the stream. On my Mogul I could minimize the PIE window and still hear the stream while doing other things.
    Last edited by erod550; 07/02/2009 at 03:39 PM.
  18.    #18  
    Does anyone know how to use PayPal to sign up for this?
    It only gives me a credit card option.
    I just found out I had $7 in my PayPal account and figure I'd try spending $3 to try it for a month.
    Since this is just audio, I'll stick with the Sporting News app and wait for flash so we can listen to our favorite teams through their radio stations' web sites. I'll bookmark the "Listen Live" link and listen that way. If MLB gets live video on the phone for $5/month, I'll consider it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    ROFL
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast