Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Can you keep an updated copy of your Google calendar on your hard drive so you can view/change it even if not connected to the net? I have not worked with a Google calendar (yet).

Tx.

BB
    Yes. Gmail has also been dumbed down to fit with the other email clients. This is annoying as hell.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    I don't think Palm set out to design a Treo replacement with the Pre. Palm said: I want to help people blend personal and professional lives with ease. ANd keep in sync with all of the info from multiple sources. Hence the calendar that is good for pulling events, minimalist for creating them. The Pre isn't designed to be your main repository for your calendar, just your main calendar viewer.
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
    I do miss having an agenda on the home screen detailing my events and 'to do's for the day. As a work around I use Google Calendar's option to send me a daily agenda which I keep open in card view. For tasks, I use the Remember the Milk app which also sends daily reminders and can also be accessed via my Google Calendar. Yes, it was nice when I only had to use one program (Outlook) to sync everything for me, but I've accepted that's not going to happen and have found something else that works just as well for me.
    Have you tried playing with google calendar's todo list at all? I don't think they synergize yet, but I do believe you can get reminders in your agenda.

Having said that, there's a tiny bit of me that chafes at Google having so much of my info... but damn the calendar is a very cool thing. Personal calendar, work calendar, facebook/social calendar... some private, some public, all easily visible and walking around in my pocket happily synched any time I want it. Pretty terrific.
    I don't like the calendar either. I personally, don't like the fact I can't do a 'phone lookup' like in my old Treo.

I want to make appointments with people in my contact list!

Is that asking for too much?

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    Yes. Gmail has also been dumbed down to fit with the other email clients. This is annoying as hell.
    Thanks. I have read a bit more and see using Gears you can keep a READ ONLY copy on your hard drive. Too bad you cannot make changes that would be held until you next went on line. Have I got it correct?

In any case I still like the old Palm desktop calander better and have learned (above) that it may become syncable.

Thanks again.

BB
    Quote Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
    I don't think Palm set out to design a Treo replacement with the Pre. Palm said: I want to help people blend personal and professional lives with ease. ANd keep in sync with all of the info from multiple sources. Hence the calendar that is good for pulling events, minimalist for creating them. The Pre isn't designed to be your main repository for your calendar, just your main calendar viewer.
    Those of us who travel and have many meetings (yeah, business types) need a calendar that is easy to add to as well as view on the run. I have no problem with improvements over the Treo (classic Palm PIM) but why do we have to take two steps backward to take one forward? I thought that went out with the fall of the Wall.

Thanks for your comments.

B B
    Quote Originally Posted by tcurtin View Post
    Have you tried playing with google calendar's todo list at all? I don't think they synergize yet, but I do believe you can get reminders in your agenda.

Having said that, there's a tiny bit of me that chafes at Google having so much of my info... but damn the calendar is a very cool thing. Personal calendar, work calendar, facebook/social calendar... some private, some public, all easily visible and walking around in my pocket happily synched any time I want it. Pretty terrific.
    I will have to play around with Google tasks a bit more. Last time I used it, there didn't seem to be a lot of ability to customize. You could make seperate lists, but not sure if you can add times, priortize, etc. But thanks for reminding me to revisit that option.
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blazorboy View Post
    Reading all this about the calendar vs. say the classic Palm OS calendar makes me think that the Pre is a very poor replacement for the Treo as a business PIM/Phone. Being easily able to make time-zone sensitive entries and see day/week/month (even year) easily are essential to me.

I wonder how the phone book compares with the Palm OS.

As you can tell, I have not yet switched.

B B
    If you're happy with the functionality of the current Treo PIM suite, I wouldn't change - yet. The Pre is far closer to v1.0 of PalmOS than Garnet.

Everything is very different on the Pre. I don't know that it's better or worse. It's just very different. The way you use the Pre is different as well. The Treo expected to be a local copy of a canonical data source somewhere. The Pre expects to be a local cache of a bunch of varied data sources out there.

Quote Originally Posted by blazorboy View Post
    Those of us who travel and have many meetings (yeah, business types) need a calendar that is easy to add to as well as view on the run. I have no problem with improvements over the Treo (classic Palm PIM) but why do we have to take two steps backward to take one forward? I thought that went out with the fall of the Wall.

Thanks for your comments.

B B
    Stick with the Treo, or run the Palm Calendar in Classic, would be my recommendation.

And we have to take two steps backward to make giant leaps forward sometimes. PalmOS is a dinosaur that needed to go away. If you view that system as the culmination of years and years of "old school" thinking, and the Pre as the beginning of "new school" thinking, I think it makes more sense.

The fundamental changes that needed to be made to the way that the Pre does things made it impossible to keep the old apps and those old apps functionality. For a 1.0 device, I think it does a pretty admirable job. You have to remember, though, that it's still a 1.0 device. By 2.0, I'd expect it to be back to where things left off with the Treo.

It's still plenty good for many people, though, just maybe not for Palm's traditional hardcore PIM users.

Think of it sort of like going from Windows ME to Windows XP. A lot of annoyances and things that made you say WTF, but in the end, a MUCH better experience for the end user.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12