1.    #1  
    I know, I know, your screen wobbles worse than the weebles. I also know that it feels flimsy when you use it. There is the thread about tightening the screen to the keyboard, but do you really want/need to do that?

I have had two Pre's; one from launch, and another from about 4 days ago. The first one was tight and solid, and overall I was happy with it. I swaped it out for a reason that has no bearing on this thread. I did, however, have an issue with scratches on the mirror from the slider.

I don't know about you, but I hate scratches on my cool phone, and the slider scratches irritated me greatly. Initially, it was a character building experience for me. I learned to better hold my temper, and I now have magicians hands when showing my Pre due to my advanced skill in hiding scratches.

It is funny to note now that after 4 days with my new pre, and opening the slider 104 times (according the the phone), I have no scratches, but the phone has a slight wobble.

The lack of scratches may be due to the loose nature of the slider, and it might not. My screen is also not as wobbly as some I have seen, but then again, I am nicer to my phones than most.

Well here's hoping that my phone will be like the weebles... wobbly but not falling down.
    Yes, I've pretty much concluded that a little bit of a gap between slider elements, and hence a little bit of a wobble/Oreo(TM) Twist, is normal after a break-in period. And, it's probably completely to be expected, since without at least some give there's constant pressure and, as you mention, signs of it like scratches.

I'm fine with mine, from that perspective. It bothers me just a bit when I'm holding it with the slider open and I can feel a little movement, but that's just me being picky.

Love the Pre!
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    To be honest, this problem is why I hate sliders to begin with. This webOS is awesome, but the build of the phone keeps me scratching my head. I dont know if I used to the solid build of the Treos or what, but I am a little disappointed in my wobbly/oreo twist screen. Especially when I go to grab it out of its pouch and I constantly twist the screen. This is annoying to say the least. This problem has at least left the possibility open of me taking it back before my 30 days are up and waiting on the BB Tour.
  4.    #4  
    I guess what I am getting at, is the screen now is more loose than before, but I don't have scratches now. For me, it sounds like a good trade, but for some, it isn't the best thing.

Ultimately, I feel that the support I have received from Palm and Sprint on the Pre is top notch and I can handle a little wobble. Besides, if it get's really bad, you can tighten it.
    Tighten the screws in the back if you'd like to minimize the "oreo effect."
    Quote Originally Posted by niospecv View Post
    Tighten the screws in the back if you'd like to minimize the "oreo effect."
    Im not touching those screws in the back. For one, I would probably butcher the phone to no end. And to be frank, that is Palm's job, not mine to do.
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    are you talking about the "scratches" on the bottom lip of the phone? is so they are caused when opening the keyboard with thumb etc pressing down to hard, the screen portion flexes and touches the lip, the distance btwn the 2 shells has to be tight otherwise people would complain about the gap?

If your worried about it, black magic marker is wonderful tool.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by sjjones View Post
    are you talking about the "scratches" on the bottom lip of the phone? is so they are caused when opening the keyboard with thumb etc pressing down to hard, the screen portion flexes and touches the lip, the distance btwn the 2 shells has to be tight otherwise people would complain about the gap?

If your worried about it, black magic marker is wonderful tool.
    Nope... the mirror scratches from the slider. A huge issue on my launch day Pre with the tight slider. A non issue now with my wobbly 4 day old Pre. Coincidence......Maybe.
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    Nope... the mirror scratches from the slider. A huge issue on my launch day Pre with the tight slider. A non issue now with my wobbly 4 day old Pre. Coincidence......Maybe.
    Wow you and I must have picked up our first and second pres on the same days. My first one was solid no dead pixels, but shut off when I was sliding it closed, and I had scratches on the mirror from the slider.

Next pre, doesn't shut off, a couple of stuck pixels fixed with the stuck pixel app I found for the iphone, but is looser and more wobbly. I did tighten it and that helped a bit, but still nowhere near as tight as my launch day pre. It's only wobbly when closed, when opened it's solid. I'm most likely going to stick with this one.
  10.    #10  
    I really think that it was by design. The first phones were tight and replacements aren't. Maybe they made a decision based on early complaints and loosened the slider. The world may never know.