Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1.    #1  
    "Always eject your phone from your desktop computer before disconnecting."

    Is anyone else getting the above message when using their Pre as a USB drive to transfer files while ejecting it correctly using the "Safely Remove Hardware" taskbar app with Windows XP? I get it every time I disconnect. The files transfer successfully so I doubt any harm was done. I've even tried it with a different computer (also running XP) with the same results. It's done this since I got it 3 weeks ago and none of the updates have helped.

    Maybe it's because I have a "laptop" and not a desktop as the error states. Heh.
  2. #2  
    I only get that if I just yank the cord. If I go through the taskbar app i don't get it... Are you sure you're waiting until the "Safe to blah blah" prompt?
  3. mlawrnce's Avatar
    Posts
    37 Posts
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    #3  
    Try "ejecting" disk
  4. geogray's Avatar
    Posts
    82 Posts
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Auberon Barnable View Post
    "Always eject your phone from your desktop computer before disconnecting."

    Is anyone else getting the above message when using their Pre as a USB drive to transfer files while ejecting it correctly using the "Safely Remove Hardware" taskbar app with Windows XP? I get it every time I disconnect. The files transfer successfully so I doubt any harm was done. I've even tried it with a different computer (also running XP) with the same results. It's done this since I got it 3 weeks ago and none of the updates have helped.

    Maybe it's because I have a "laptop" and not a desktop as the error states. Heh.
    On my Windows 7 RC machine, I get this message once in a while. It does not seem to matter how long I wait either. It just happens. There never seems to be any harm, so i just ignore it now.
  5. geogray's Avatar
    Posts
    82 Posts
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Auberon Barnable View Post
    "Always eject your phone from your desktop computer before disconnecting."
    ...
    Maybe it's because I have a "laptop" and not a desktop as the error states. Heh.
    No, it does not matter. My Windows 7 machine is an HP desktop.
  6. #6  
    I've never seen that error, and I normally wait a few seconds after my data is done xfering and then just unplug it. I didnt even think about doing it any other way I will use correct method now!
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"


    PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Darknight View Post
    I only get that if I just yank the cord. If I go through the taskbar app i don't get it... Are you sure you're waiting until the "Safe to blah blah" prompt?
    Thanks for the responses.

    Yeah I'm sure (14 year PC tech here). I even have the "Display device components" setting checked and the Palm Pre is present and that's specifically the device I'm "ejecting". If it's not really hurting anything I wish there would be the option of preventing this error from appearing every time.
  8. #8  
    I just right click on the drive and select eject. Then the Pre turns back to home screen almost immediately. Man, I can't wait for the Linux SDK. I'm really remembering the annoying things in Windows.
  9. kd0axs's Avatar
    Posts
    282 Posts
    Global Posts
    751 Global Posts
    #9  
    Go into My Computer, right click on the drive icon for your Pre, and then click eject.
  10. #10  
    It seems like the pre itsself doesn't recgonize that it has been ejected. It will stay on the usb/media sync mode screen even after its been ejected.
  11. #11  
    As others have noted, "stopping" the device does not work...so you can't just click on the hardware wizard in the system tray. You must go to "My Computer", right-click on the Pre drive, and select "Eject"

    Works every time for me.
  12. gweempose's Avatar
    Posts
    20 Posts
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post

    I just right click on the drive and select eject. Then the Pre turns back to home screen almost immediately.
    Yep. This is the only way to get it to consistently disconnect safely.
  13. #13  
    only connect my pre a handful of times but i got that message once after "safely removing hardware"
  14. #14  
    I was having this same problem. Will have to try this the next time! Thank you!
  15. jsabo's Avatar
    Posts
    427 Posts
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    #15  
    Neat, works on Windows 7! No more complaining about trashing my data!

Posting Permissions