Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Went to workout today for the first time with the Pre to have some pandora streaming. The machine started showing a heart beat indicator out of the blue, and turned out it was because I had the pre laid on the console - removing the pre and the heart beat indicator went blank.

It was showing in the 170's, which is probably close to an heart attack
    Interesting. Do you have the touchstone back-plate?
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Cracker View Post
    Interesting. Do you have the touchstone back-plate?
    Nope, stock pre here.
    Quote Originally Posted by mosdl View Post
    Went to workout today for the first time with the Pre to have some pandora streaming. The machine started showing a heart beat indicator out of the blue, and turned out it was because I had the pre laid on the console - removing the pre and the heart beat indicator went blank.

Are you sure the heartbeat indicator didn't stop because you took your hands off of the handles? If your machine was an eliptical of some type, the hr monitor is on the handles and only reads when both of your hands are on the handles. btw, 170 isn't THAT high for a vigorous workout.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts

Actually, 170-180 is normal for someone who is not in great shape, but is working out. Heart attack range is 210+
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    170 is normal for someone on meth
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou View Post
    Are you sure the heartbeat indicator didn't stop because you took your hands off of the handles? If your machine was an eliptical of some type, the hr monitor is on the handles and only reads when both of your hands are on the handles. btw, 170 isn't THAT high for a vigorous workout.
    I agree..why would a heart rate monitor be on the console
    Too bad you didn't post this from your Pre, or it might have fixed your typo in the title
    Quick question, did your Pre get squished in the mashine?
    Quote Originally Posted by Siraris View Post
    Heart attack range is 210+
    Um, sorry to be 'that guy', but for the record, heart rate and heart attacks don't really correlate. It's lack of blood flow to the heart, not increased HR, that leads to a heart attack. I've seen HRs in the 250s, which is bad, but isn't an MI.

[/public service announcement]
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    (I always thought Heart Rate for a Heart Attack was Zero...)
    Quote Originally Posted by derf.k View Post
    (I always thought Heart Rate for a Heart Attack was Zero...)
    No that's cardiac arrest (stopped heart). Hopefully you're in an ER when this happens.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou View Post
    It has no hear-beat reading handles, it's an older machine. It was definitely the pre.
    Were you using bluetooth? I haven't used my Pre at the gym yet, but when I used my bluetooth headphones with my Treo 700p (to listen to music while I jogged), it would make the TV monitor on my treadmill change channels and then turn off. When I turned off bluetooth, it stopped screwing with the TV. =)
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Were you using bluetooth? I haven't used my Pre at the gym yet, but when I used my bluetooth headphones with my Treo 700p (to listen to music while I jogged), it would make the TV monitor on my treadmill change channels and then turn off. When I turned off bluetooth, it stopped screwing with the TV. =)
    I had bluetooth and wifi off.

Someone needs to create a heart monitor app for the pre now
    Quote Originally Posted by doctorbri View Post
    Um, sorry to be 'that guy', but for the record, heart rate and heart attacks don't really correlate. It's lack of blood flow to the heart, not increased HR, that leads to a heart attack. I've seen HRs in the 250s, which is bad, but isn't an MI.

[/public service announcement]
    You posted that before I did, thanks!

---

The real issue with such severe tachycardia is that the amount your heart is able to pump with each beat is severely reduced. Blood is viscous and it takes time to move it through the heart and lungs. When your rate is in the high 100's or greater, it really isn't getting to fill completely before the next heart beat. This can lead to an overall decrease in cardiac output which will likely present with dizziness and possible fainting, as you are not keeping up with the brain's high demands.

All that said, it is totally contextual. I aim for a HR of 170 when working out, but if one of my patients was at 170 merely lying in the bed, I'd quite possibly be reaching for the adenosine.
    Quote Originally Posted by genoahous View Post
    No that's cardiac arrest (stopped heart). Hopefully you're in an ER when this happens.
    I'll be that guy for this:

Cardiac arrest isn't necessarily a "stopped heart". In fact, most of the time your heart is quite active. It's just not working correctly or purposefully. It's trembling like a sack full of worms, essentially.

That tends to come before then entire stopping of the heart and is a bit more responsive to treatment.

But yes, it's in your favor not to have it happen to you ever, or lacking that, inside a medical facility.
    This brings up an interesting question and a little off topic but still on thread. Now the Pre receives a wireless RF signal to charge the battery via Touchstone. The question is what range can it pick up. Say if the touchstone is touching your skin would it be possible to have it monitor heart rate or some other health related scan?
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    It seems that most Pre owners are heart doctors and/or qualified cardiac experts. I now feel better about my July 4th Bbq knowing that I only have to thread 'I'm having chest pains - what do I do?' to get solid (free) medical advice. Can u'r iPhog do that?