Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    OK, I've been underwhelmed by the ads so far. What do you think would be a cool ad?

Here's mine. It's simple, but it get's synergy, multitasking and gestures in one.

Sunday Afternoon
    • First shot is of a lady (Trixie) kissing her husband goodbye as she loads the kids in the minivan for a soccer game.
    • (fade out and then in with music playing) Trixie is driving the kids to the soccer game on Sunday afternoon.
    • Pandora is playing in the background over the car stereo via A2DP.
    • Trixie looks over at her Pre sitting on the center console with cool album art showing from Pandora (I'd have it on the Touchstone, but Palm wouldn't)
    • The music quiets and Sprint Nav tells her to turn right in 400 ft.
    • After the turn, music resumes then Trixie gets a call from Paul (husband)Phone app appears with Paul's face wearing something silly.
    • Sound goes down for the call.
    • Paul says they've been invited to dinner Monday after work and can she go?
    • While on the call, she swipes up to minimize, drags over to calendar, taps the calendar to enlarge.
    • She tells Paul it looks like she's available as the Pre shows only a yellow-coded work appt and a blue coded Facebook event.
    • She tells Paul she's driving and to just add the dinner to their shared Google Calendar.
    • She hangs up on Paul, flicks the phone app off the screen and the music resumes.
    • She engages in meaningless banter with the kids.
    • The music quiets and Sprint Nav tells Trixie her destination is on the left.
    • She parks, then flicks Sprint Nav, then Pandora off the screen and maximizes calendar as the kids jump out of the minivan
    • She takes the Pre off of the Touchstone, and
    • before she puts the Pre in her purse, she glances at the screen and there's the Monday dinner in green.
    • Trixie looks at her kids, sighs and says - "Wow, that was easy!"

Whaddaya think?

What's your ad
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    I love it. You should pitch it to Palm.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Hey, I think that sounds like an awesome commercial! You really thought that out and covered everything. I would only change the order of a couple things because I don't think it would be prudent to show her doing all the calendar checking stuff while driving. Maybe show her at a red light doing that or have her arrive at her destination and then do it while on the phone.

Great job, and I agree, pitch that to Palm -- QUICK!
    Agreed awesome idea, just no phoning while driving.
    How about when she receives the call, she's about to park at the game. When she is parked, conviently teh conversation talks about the event and then she can pull up her calendar etc. after all that, iinstead of banter she can just conviently pull the phone off the touchstone and leave.

lol might be a long commercial.
    yeah pitch it!!
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    I really don't know why Palm has those horrible ads that leave the general audience wondering what in the hell was that about....

Did you happen to watch the new Iphone commercial, the one that is showcasing the "copy, paste" on the new 3g? , is simple, but to the point, and at the end you end up saying "how cool is that.... I want that on my phone...."

Now.... why in the world we don't have that kind of approach with the pre ads????
    Pre so easy to use even a caveman can use it.

Straight to the point.
    first i'd say show the damn phone. Unlike this ad with pretty colors and a chick on a rock surrounded by monks in red. That **** makes no sense to me. these guys are hiring marketing morons. seriously find some decent teen, college kids, moms, business people and let them make the damn thing.

another ad would be targeted at you're stereotypical young sexy hip (not hipster) urban kid. texting freinds, posting to facebook, sharing vids, taking pic at a club to highlight the flash, not that it would work. you know living that fake entouragish life but with real people and intead of bottle service you're just at a cool club, or dive bar, or a that chill lounge. maybe even getting texts about this party that party. it would be more about setting an image for the phone

another would be damn near like half the demos i've seen but showing off the business functionality of the calender in the work place, maybe cut to the lunch time workour showing the phone as a mp3 player while you work out, the bus/train ride home watching videos, then maybe getting a calender alert reminding you of the date with the hot girl, and boom out the door you go. Saved by the pre.

Similar one from the perspective of the the stay at home mom doing multiple stuff, picking up the kids from practice, the gym, showing the calendering, i'd throw in all the notification functions. Getting lost to show the GPS, all that ****.
    Pre. It will get you laid!
    Total FAB!

Call up Palm and the guy who did the facebook/palm commercial. So we can waste even more materials for a less then 30 second commercial for something that could've been done in CG.
    Sunday Afternoon

~Realistdreamer Commercial Script (cont.)~
    • Trixie looks at her kids, sighs and says - "WOW! That cop has been following me all this time?"
    • Cop comes to her because of the new california law and cell phones.
    • She gets a ticket, and then the DMV logo flashes. "Don't use cell phones while driving. This has been brought to you by the California Department of Motor Vehicles."

LOL I'm sorry I had to do this, don't get me wrong, i thought it was a great idea to really show off the phone's features. But I just added that extra tidbit because it was a bit funny to me, with me living in California to understand it.
  13.    #13  
    Thanks for the feedback. I was hoping some of you would make your own and maybe Palm would get a clue and introduce the phone based on what it can do and how it feels to have those things done. Maybe after people know what it can do, they'll understand the girl on the rock stuff.

I live in CA and the law is that you can't text and you can't talk without a headset. Nevertheless, everyone is right, they'd never do a commercial with that much action while driving kids (even though it happens every day).

I hope they do something that showcases what the phone does different or better than it's competitiors. I hope they make it so non-fanboys know what's happening. I wouldn't mind a consulting gig either.

I actually worked for Palm (they were a client of my firm) back in 1994 I think it was - when they had office space in Los Altos. This was before the first device. I want them to be successful, but that add looked like a waste of hype and money. All that symbolism was lost on those who actually BUY smartphones.
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    I think its an unfair assessment to say the 'symbolism' in the Palm ad is lost on people who actually buy smartphones. You can't speak for the population of the United Stated. Its meant to spark the interest of the general consumer, which I think it does quite well. Its an elegant ad, and I think the marketing department at Palm probably knows a thing or two about what they're doing.

As for your ad, as has been mentioned, the fact that 'Trixie' is doing all of that activity while driving is a mistake. Furthermore, you have to showcase aspects of the phone itself, not necessarily apps that you can download on the phone or capabilities (A2DP for example) that can be used with the phone that many people couldn't use (unless you are using the ad for the sole purpose of showcasing apps or said capability, though that would be better suited for a car commercial). This particular ad is too scatterbrained--it needs to have a clear focus and message. If that message is that the phone can multi-task, it can be done in a much simpler and cleaner way that showcases the phone and not the pandora app.

A better way to think about it is this: What you have written above would not be considered by a marketing firm or a producer, simply because there is too much going on. Take the idea that you have and condense it into 2 sentences in a way that showcases the main point of your ad, and put it in a way that is interesting, attention grabbing, and easy to understand (avoid "techy" language).
    Multitasking/Life management Ad Idea

How about an ad where they show all of life's things going on all over the place (meetings, tasks lists, emails, etc.) like a jumbled chaos maybe as separate (but live) images moving around at random on the screen and the actor going crazy trying to manage and remember it all.

Then swap to another actor. Suddenly all the activities resolve into a deck of playing cards again with live pictures on them. For example, one depicting a meeting at work going on, another showing Little Pete's baseball game, etc. the actor shuffles through the cards with ease managing them with complete ease. The meeting card depicts the meeting come to an end and the actor discards the card.

Finally the actor pulls all the cards together into a stack. Touches the top of the stack (where the Pre's power button is) and the stack resovles into a Palm Pre.

Alternate ending: The actor pulls all the cards together into a stack, with Pandora or other music player on top. Starts playback. Puts headphones on. Sit's back relaxed, enjoying the music with the knowledge that his/her chaotic life is in order.
    I like your commercial idea, but with everyone complaining about the talking while driving - Trixie can use the speakerphone running through her car's audio system. All of the flipping to calendar should only be done while she's parked as well.
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    Multitasking/Life management Ad Idea

How about an ad where they show all of lifes things going on all over the place (meetings, tasks lists, emails, etc.) like a jumbled chaos maybe as separate (but live) images moving around at random on the screen and the actor going crazy trying to manage and remember it all.

Then swap to another actor. Suddenly all the activities resolve into a deck of playing cards again with live pictures on them. For example, one depicting a meeting at work going on, another showing Little Pete's baseball game, etc. the actor shuffles through the cards with ease manaing them -- no problem. Discarding the meeting card as the meeting comes to a close, etc.

Finally the actor pulls all the cards together into a stack. Touches the top of the stack (where the Pre's power button is) and the stack resovles into a Palm Pre.

Alternate ending: The actor pulls all the cards together into a stack, with Pandora or other music player on top. Starts playback. Puts headphones on. Sit's back relaxed, enjoying the music with the knowledge that his/her chaotic life is in order.
    Better!

For future reference to anyone making an ad, if you are going to show a music player, you must show the Pre's native music player. The phone must be showcased, not an app.
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    @ realistdreamer I sent a twitt to Palm
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    Mike Dixon
    Software Developer
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by pathymo View Post
    I think its an unfair assessment to say the 'symbolism' in the Palm ad is lost on people who actually buy smartphones. You can't speak for the population of the United Stated. Its meant to spark the interest of the general consumer, which I think it does quite well. Its an elegant ad, and I think the marketing department at Palm probably knows a thing or two about what they're doing.

As for your ad, as has been mentioned, the fact that 'Trixie' is doing all of that activity while driving is a mistake. Furthermore, you have to showcase aspects of the phone itself, not necessarily apps that you can download on the phone or capabilities (A2DP for example) that can be used with the phone that many people couldn't use (unless you are using the ad for the sole purpose of showcasing apps or said capability, though that would be better suited for a car commercial). This particular ad is too scatterbrained--it needs to have a clear focus and message. If that message is that the phone can multi-task, it can be done in a much simpler and cleaner way that showcases the phone and not the pandora app.

A better way to think about it is this: What you have written above would not be considered by a marketing firm or a producer, simply because there is too much going on. Take the idea that you have and condense it into 2 sentences in a way that showcases the main point of your ad, and put it in a way that is interesting, attention grabbing, and easy to understand (avoid "techy" language).
    Thanks for your perspective. You're wrong
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast