Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    Don't you love how at the end of your voicemail an annoying lady comes on explaining how to leave a voicemail?

Since I don't get a lot of cavemen calling me who don't know how voicemail works, I have found that you can disable it in the voicemail settings.

Granted, people calling me won't know which number to push to send me a fax or order a pizza, but I'm willing to make sacrifices on some features.

Here's how to do it:
    Call up your voicemail and from the main menu:
    Hit "3" for personal options
    Hit "2" for greetings
    Hit "1" to change main greeting
    Hit "3" for add or remove caller instructions
    Hit "2" to turn off the caller instructions
    Last edited by sam1am; 07/02/2009 at 02:32 AM.
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    Is it easy to do? Can a caveman do it?
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    So, whats the tip? How do you do it?
    Quote Originally Posted by cashen View Post
    Is it easy to do? Can a caveman do it?
    I'm offended by your comment. We're people too, you know!
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman View Post
    I'm offended by your comment. We're people too, you know!
    I was going to say. Don't worry, SOME of us have more sensitivity toward our missing links.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    * Turn off numeric paging: One of the options you can turn off is numeric paging, making it easier on the poor saps leaving you a voicemail in the first place (removes one hurdle before the beep.) In all my years of mobile phone use, I have never sent or had anyone send me a numeric page, and I don't imagine anyone ever will, really.
    * Turn off caller information: Another, you can tell the system to not read you caller information, date, time, blood type, and moon phase before it relents and plays back the actual content of the message. The information is generally redundant anyway, since 95% of people who leave me a message leave me their phone number and the time in the message (and unless I'm out of range or being called by a private number, my missed call log gets it too.) They're nice enough to tell you that you can hear caller information at any time by pressing 1 during the message.
    * Enable Expert Mode: The third valuable tip for Sprint voicemail users is a gem called "Expert Mode." This shortens the voice prompts prompts from something like "To delete this message, press 7" to "Delete, 7."
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    My God. An actual honest-to-goodness tip in the forums, and affects actual QoL issues.

FOR SHAME!
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    nice tip! I don't usually mess with my vmail settings, but while reading this I remembered when I used to call my sprint buddies and would never leave a msg bc I didn't want to listen to all the options. I think you can just press 1 usually to leave a vm, but that requires work on my part haha
    Last edited by jeffsaha; 07/02/2009 at 12:33 AM.
    I wish sprint would do like my dads Alltel vm does and MAKE you hit a number before you could leave a msg, that way the "junk" automated msgs would be elimidated and I would not have to call my vm just to here "if you are "so and so" please press 1 if you are not "so and so" please press 2. ok first all, I'm not "so and so" and secondly, how can i press 2 (wich just tells you to give the phone to the person they are calling) if its on VM?
    wow excellent tips. I hate listening to all that junk at the beginning of every email message. Anyone know what the "autoplay" option does? default seems to be ON.
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    Okay I had to go back in and go through the menus to find out exactly where this somewhat hidden feature is. I've added it to the original post.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Thank you much!! Definitely need more threads like this in the forum. I was so fed up with having to listen to what phone number was calling me, what time it was, what the weather was like for the rest of the week, what obama's health plan included, how many troops we have in Afghanistan etc.. before hearing my actual message left on my phone. Why do they even bother with that crap! We just want to hear our messages, THAT'S IT
    Quote Originally Posted by kipskiddy View Post
    wow excellent tips. I hate listening to all that junk at the beginning of every email message. Anyone know what the "autoplay" option does? default seems to be ON.

Autoplay means you have your pin saved so when you call from your cell it automatically plays the voicemail.
    Good tip for those who still don't know. I've had this turned off for a while (and "expert mode" turned on), and it annoys the bejeebus out of me when I call people whose outgoing messages are sevetneen minutes long due to the instructions. Look, I know what to do, I know when to do it. Just give me the dang tone!

Anyway... thanks sam1am for making the world a saner, less stroke-inducing place
    If you keep the Caller Information feature on you can easily bypass it when listening to your messages by just pressing "1". That takes you right to the message and then you have the phone number and time stamp available for those times that you do need it.
    Global Posts
    348 Global Posts
    Thanks for this info, my friends will love me for cutting off the waiting time to leave a message.. And I'll love it even more with expert mode turned on.
    THANK YOU for posting this!

I've been encouraging my fellow Sprint users to shut off the annoying lady... I did it when I first set up my voicemail several years ago, but I couldn't for the life of me find the options when I went back in to try to explain to them how to do it.

For a while I really thought the evil lady and her condescending instructions was a conspiracy of the carriers to get more minutes out of us (since she forces you to spend extra time waiting for the beep). The fact that they make her so difficult to get rid of only reinforces my theory!
    SUNSPOT
    Arena Rock for Geeks
    Sweet tip. I've never bothered to even check into this, but in less than 60 seconds I've disabled that lengthy diatribe. Thanks sam1sam.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    I untrained all my friends/family from leaving voicemails by changing my message. It essentially said "Voicemail is an outdated way to leave messages. So if you want to get in contact with me immediately then text or email because I'm probably not going to check voicemail until the weekend."

It seems a bit jerky but after a month then nobody left VMs.
    Quote Originally Posted by sam1am View Post
    Don't you love how at the end of your voicemail an annoying lady comes on explaining how to leave a voicemail?
    This has to be one of the top 10 most annoying things ever! I just love how it usually lasts longer than the message before it. Thanks for the tip, perhaps we can all do our part to curb the tide of "after message voice-mail instruction."
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast