Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789
    Quote Originally Posted by evacaf View Post
    I'd like to be able to mute the phone ringer, but keep the calander alert volume on. This way, I can be respectful in a meeting, but still not miss needing to leave for the next meeting or some other reminder.

Even when I set the calendar event reminder to use the system sound and then turn the ringer volume down to zero, the calendar event reminder isn't audible.

Thanks.
    Is there any sort of sound or vibrate notification if you use the ringer switch rather than turning down the device volume? I only switch my device ringer switch at night when I sleep to not be disturbed in the off chance of a call I care less about like a prank call occurs. But I would think the ringer switch would allow you to still get at least a vibrate for stuff you need to get and keep the device silent as to not disturb the meetings.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
  2.    #162  
    Currently, if you flip the ringer switch at the top of the phone to silent, your calendar alerts will not be audible but the phone will vibrate instead. This allows you to be respectful in meetings yet alerts you when it's time to go or any other appointment.
    i just wanted to mention #47 "option to automatically add contact birthday information to calendar" has been taken care of via a patch called http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...ml#post2429716 by MetaView.

and it works very well! thanks MetaView!

(list of MetaView's apps)
    http://forums.precentral.net/members/metaview.html

next - how bout some OBEX, palm!
    Last edited by bry4n; 07/26/2010 at 11:21 PM. Reason: adding links & contact info for metaview's apps
  4.    #164  
    bry4n, thanks for the post. The list has been updated!
    Quote Originally Posted by marchmaggie View Post
    My Pre frequently comes up with log in credentials rejected msg despite me not having changed a password or even been on email on Pre or PC or fooled with settings anywhere Pre or PC. It says "log in credentials rejected; Tap to update password" I tap. Takes me to Edit Verizon Yahoo screen. Settings are:
    Mail type IMAP
    inc mail server is palm.imap.mail.yahoo.com
    Username my email at verizon.net
    pwd ...(have not changed)
    Port # 993
    encryp SSL
    Outgoing
    palm.smtp.mail.yahoo.com
    User authentication OFF
    Port 465
    encrypt SSL
    Root Folder blank
    I have repeatedly tapped in correct pwd
    Does not work - It will continue to give message and continues that my email is not updated from when error msg first shows up.
    this occurs spontaneously. It has resolved without intervention (spontaneously) after a few hours or a few days. Two days ago it resolved without me ever having been on e-mail either on Pre thru internet or thru app or on email thru PC.
    I have contacted tech support twice. They took me step by step to reset email after back up, then partial erase. Seemed to work for a few hours. This message "log in credentials..." occurs during day, night and any day of week. Can find no pattern in any way. Sometimes resetting email does not seem to work. Have seen in other sites on web (see Yahoo support) where this happens to many people frequently. Have tried all of suggested solutions that are there except "refurb". I think it is only yahoo via Verizon and ATT. I am setting up gmail but cannot fully use yet because as of yesterday Verizon is doing some kind of update that won't let me go to "settings". However, this log in problem on Pre has been occuring almost since the beginning on my Pre. Obtained Pre sometimes in Sept, I believe.
    Contacted yahoo about this once. Yahoo support is worse than Pre support. Pre support seems unaware that this is a repeat prob for people. Like I said, I am changing completely to gmail thru my google account once Verizon Yahoo is done with their update.
    This was a lot of clarification. Yahoo support forums seem to have found no solutions yet. Thus, I am trying Pre site.
    Thank you for any ideas. I know that I am not crazy - this is bizarre.
    BTW, I am on Sprint for mobile.
    I have had the original Pre thru Sprint for over a year, and have had ongoing problems with Yahoo mail. I had thought it may be Pre's themselves, until I saw so many other people in the same situation on other phones. It is something with Yahoo mail. It comes and goes. I currently cannot download email from yahoo, but my gmail accounts have always worked just fine. Yahoo sucks. Maybe it's time to move on.
    How was this improved with 1.4? I still can't edit what order the numbers appear in. I would love a default setting for the whole contact book within the main contacts preference page to let you choose which number you want to see first (mobile, work, home, fax, etc) and then (or at least) a way to reorder the contact's numbers while in the individual's contact page while in edit.

As far as I can tell, you cannot do this and it is really r3tarded. it could be drag and drop or via a toggle arrow on the side. i don't care. something.
    Last edited by douglasazo; 08/26/2010 at 10:39 PM. Reason: r3tarded got *s
  7.    #167  
    Agreed!
    Quote Originally Posted by douglasazo View Post
    How was this improved with 1.4? I still can't edit what order the numbers appear in. I would love a default setting for the whole contact book within the main contacts preference page to let you choose which number you want to see first (mobile, work, home, fax, etc) and then (or at least) a way to reorder the contact's numbers while in the individual's contact page while in edit.

As far as I can tell, you cannot do this and it is really r3tarded. it could be drag and drop or via a toggle arrow on the side. i don't care. something.
    I never thought about this before but it sounds like a good idea. Do you know does it display the numbers in the order they were added to contacts? Perhaps this is something someone could make a patch for assuming there isn't unknown variable that would prevent doing so.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
  9.    #169  
    I wonder what list order it chooses when pulling numbers from Outlook using apps like PocketMirror or Missing Link.
    Here are some updates for the list. With these it makes the items not addressed to be almost nothing. Between official updates and the community webOS is much richer. Plus 2.0 will bring quite a lot more to the table. But details are hush hush though we know they really want to spill the beans to the world about it.

2. Voice Dialing
    5. Voice Memos

I think these were mentioned to be upcoming in 2.0 or perhaps an earlier update prior to. Don't quote me on it and I don't have a source link, I'd have to spend time digging with google searches to find the article, podcast, or whatnot that I think I remember that from.

6. Ability to Record Phone Conversations

My guess this is something we will see when the microphone API is released. I'm not sure if it is 2.0 or an earlier update prior to that they are adding this API.

7. Better Battery Life!

Since 06/06/09 they have improved this quite a bit. In my testing: idle with all radios on, no email, no app polls (twitter and similar) it has gone from 30mA per hour down to about 15mA per hour. Of course if your turn on all the software bells and whistles it will consume more than that. Not sure how much optimization can be done with 3rd party apps outside of user configured things already in our control to reduce consumption.

8. Enhance Camera w/ Autofocus, Zoom, and editing options

There are a couple 3rd party apps for image editing now. autofocus and zoom I think are hardware dependent features, correct me if I'm wrong.

16. Compass (would be nice!)

geocaching for webos beta has a compass. I've not used the app yet so I can't comment on it. I haven't had opportunity to go out geocaching.

18. Use Phone As Modem (PAM)

Also mobile hotspot (carrier dependent but some are running it unofficially on others)

35. Ability to isolate and disconnect an individual caller while in a 3-way conference call

This is carrier dependent. For example with CDMA I believe like with call waiting this is a limitation of the network. The line is opened up when the person on one of the lines hangs up. Someone would have to research if there is some sort of signal sent to the phone when the other party hangs up that can be used to update the display to what it looks like when it is just the one call active.

37. More instant messaging clients (ie. Yahoo, MSN, etc.)

plugins and 3rd party apps available for probably all the clients that exist. The plugins add to messaging like the ones included with webos. It would be nice to see palm add the plugins officially but until then these are good options.

39. Brighter backlight settings for keyboard.

Inverse brightness patch also is a good one for KB brightness at low screen brightness.

58. Add "tab" key functionality with better button combinations like "Shift+Spacebar". These would make it easier to navigate between form fields while using the browser.

This may work but I haven't had a need to ever tab on my device. http://www.precentral.net/tab-betwee...using-keyboard

61. The option to make things private (contacts, photos, etc.).

I believe there is an app that can be used to make some stuff private. Also for photos one can use internalz to move the photos to a directory they create and call ".private" if so chosen (without the quotes but with the period at the front) and they will be hidden from the photos app and file picker for those apps that have a file picker.

70. Ability to organize apps (ie. folders, by category, a-z sort, etc.)

This can be accomplished with the advanced configuration for launcher patch. Name pages, show those names, add pages, and easily move icons to the page you want and even move whole pages to reorder them and more. A-Z sort would still have to be done manually but if someone wants to get creative a write an algorithm to read the icon list for a page and auto reorder them it may be possible to do it.

71. Ability to save a mp3 from an email and use it as a ringtone. Currently, the mp3 plays when clicked with no option to save.

Simply move the mp3 that is saved to the device from the patch for #72 and move or or copy the mp3 to the ringtones folder using internalz.

73. Use volume buttons to answer calls.

There's a patch that uses the volume button to take a picture so this could be adapted to answer calls since there are also patches that add alternative ways to answer calls. Just needs someone to make the patch happen.

78. Enable the ability to set calendar reminder alarms for more than one hour but less than 24 hours.

uber calendar patch

100. Mass delete/empty email TRASH folder.

There is now a menu item as part of the email app when viewing the trash folder for empty trash.

103. An easier way to select/cut/copy/paste text.
    104. Add a "select all" command.

I'm pretty sure all apps have a cut, copy, paste and select all and work with all text boxes. Even metatap+key combos for cut, copy and paste in case the menu items are not available. Not sure how much selecting partial text has changed other than when using option+drag whole words get selected in some maybe all areas.

109. Extend calendar reminders to beyond 7 days (as long as 30 or 45 days).

uber calendar patch has a lot of stuff and pretty sure this is one of the things.

#62 and #110 are duplicate entries and should be combined into one in the list.

115. Allow user to select font and size in all apps especially Memo.

work around. Everything can pretty much be patched to change font sizes. Just need the patches made.

116. A "complete" backup solution! In other words restoring from a backup should make your device "exactly" how it was - as if you never did whatever it was that caused you to need to restore from the backup.

Save/restore. Any apps that are missing from it can easily be added to it. Currently simply the best at backing up everything you need. It does not backup the actual app just the data you need for the app that would be lost when switching to a new device or wiping or otherwise loss of data on current device. Only things that aren't backed up between it and palm profile are messaging (backed up but can't be restored due to database complexity), call logs, email passwords, bluetooth pairings. Everything else is or can be added to it.

118. Email sync based on schedule. For instance, during the hours of 9am-5pm Monday to Friday have the Pre sync "as items arrive" but after my set scheduled times have it sync every X minutes. Windows Mobile devices already have this feature. It will also help with battery life.

Mode switcher can handle this and much more.

127. Add a translucent scroll bar on the right-hand side of the page while scrolling through a webpage so we can determine exactly where we are on the page... This bar will only pop up while scrolling and will "fade away" after you stop scrolling.

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...r-browser.html both horizontal and vertical scroll bars see link in first post. I don't think it fades when not scrolling but it seems like a great patch.

130. Option to have a bookmark list instead of icons in browser to conserve screen space.

Several patches available to customize the browser. I have made two startpage patches (better one is small icon) and there is one to start the browser with the bookmarks scene instead of the startpage.

139. Add the ability to control the music player (play, ffwd, rwd, pause, stop, skip, etc.) via bluetooth enabled devices.

webOS has this but some headsets may not be compatible.

140. Email/Calendar/Contacts integration - enable the ability to create an appointment, email, etc. from a contact.

tapping an email address in contacts opens a compose email card. No way to do any calendar related stuff from the contacts app yet that I'm aware of.

147. User configurable vibration setting for receiving notifications (ie. vibrate once, twice, etc.)

variable longer vibrate patches for SMS and email. May be possible to customizes for vibrate patterns or even apply this sort of thing to other vibrate notifications.

152. In Messaging App, add option to "Purge All" conversations and "Purge Conversations older than X".

There's a patch for delete all conversations. Nothing for delete older than and not sure if that is possible from a patch but could be something palm adds.

159. Enable video recording in portrait mode.

Even though the app says to rotate before recording you can keep it in portrait mode and record. I just tested this.
    Colors in calendar view with outs selecting a category

contacts can be grouped, (work, family, friends, companies, ect)

Birthdays sync with google
    all i want is a real keyboard. one where i can write something more extensive than an email... one all my fingers can be involved with! One that can go at a bit faster pace than 2 thumbs up...
    please. Sad that I have to turn to my laptop or Treo to get any work done! I want freedom for my fingers!
    Quote Originally Posted by bry4n View Post
    i just wanted to mention #47 "option to automatically add contact birthday information to calendar" has been taken care of via a patch called http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...ml#post2429716 by MetaView.
    I just use Google Calendar's semi-recent "Birthdays and events" calendar add-on (look in Google Calendar's settings from a browser). Also add Holidays and Weather, while you're at it. They show up as different color all-day events in the Palm calendar.
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    I never thought about this before but it sounds like a good idea. Do you know does it display the numbers in the order they were added to contacts? Perhaps this is something someone could make a patch for assuming there isn't unknown variable that would prevent doing so.
    any progress on this issue?
    Holy thread resurrection, Batman! This 7 month old thread is so out of date it should be closed.
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789