View Poll Results: What carrier / phone did you have before Pre?

Voters
228. You may not vote on this poll
  • Smartphone on Sprint

119 52.19%
  • Feature phone on Sprint

38 16.67%
  • iPhone on AT&T

13 5.70%
  • Other smartphone on AT&T

10 4.39%
  • Feature phone on AT&T

8 3.51%
  • Smartphone on Verizon

19 8.33%
  • Feature phone on Verizon

4 1.75%
  • Smartphone on other carrier

9 3.95%
  • Feature phone on other carrier

7 3.07%
  • I already answered on SprintUsers

1 0.44%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm curious as to how many people who bought a Pre transferred to Sprint from a different carrier or were already with Sprint.

I posted this poll over on sprintusers. Some suggested that sprintusers would be a bit biased towards existing sprint customers. So I'm posting it here, too, but with an additional option exclusively for PreCentral!
    I've been a Sprint customer since 1999.
    Qualcomm QCP 2700 -> ... Palm m125 ... -> Instinct -> Palm Pre

I tweet a lot about the Pre! @bshedwick
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Came from 6 years and a storm on verizon.
  4. bbr
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    My fiance and I both switched from iPhones. We prefer to have our phone companies actually make the phone aspect work before adding the ability to have a fart app, something Apple couldn't provide (We're both mac people). Also we couldn't get 3g in our town so Sprint's EVDO is a great thing to now have.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks, bbr. I was hoping for an explanation behind the iPhone switch. Honestly I didn't expect to see any of those. My experience with iPhone people is that the device comes with some sort of mind altering kool-aid that prevents people from looking at their phone objectively. Although, I've noticed the same from some pre people, too.

Full Disclosure: I own a Pre. I upgraded from a Red Sprint Centro.
    Wife and I came from Att. Both of us had feature phones. Three main points helped us make the switch.

1. Iphone vs Pre - Found the Pre was a better fit for the wife and I. Also, Sprint didn't charge extra for the navigation app
    2. Plan Pricing - Sprint had a more attractive price plan
    3. The Network - Att network was horrible
    Came from an LG rumor on sprint. Talk about a big jump haha.
  8. bbr
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    Thanks, bbr. I was hoping for an explanation behind the iPhone switch. Honestly I didn't expect to see any of those. My experience with iPhone people is that the device comes with some sort of mind altering kool-aid that prevents people from looking at their phone objectively. Although, I've noticed the same from some pre people, too.

Full Disclosure: I own a Pre. I upgraded from a Red Sprint Centro.
    Yeah, we had both models of the iPhone and we both wished we'd never switched from the original to the 3g. Mine was substantially more reliable than hers. The final straw for me was when I dropped mine from about a foot above the ground onto grass and the back of it cracked about an inch. The final straw for her was when we were sitting in the car side-by-side and I called her phone just to see if I could finally get a call through and it went to voicemail. It actually got to where I'd have to text her and tell her to call me because if you called her it went straight to voicemail every time.

All she wants is a facebook app and she'd be in love with the pre. I just want better battery life, lol.
    700p (me) & 755p (wife) on Sprint
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    had a 755p on Sprint. but anxious to see what Verizon gets. Sprint EVDO service where i live (central IL) isn't very good.
    I've been with sprint for 6 years with no intentions of switching, ever. I was actually excited about the touch pro, got it near launch day and told my girlfriend (who bought it for me as a christmas present) that I 'would be keeping this for a long time.' About a month later the Pre was announced and I pretty much crapped myself.

Im going to be keeping this for a long time...
    Sprint customer since 2004, was with Cellular One which became Cingular which became a piece of crap and switched to Sprint. Got my first Palm in 2006 with the Treo 650, and the 755p after that, and had the 755p until I got the Pre.
    Sprint customer since 2000, the Pre replaced a Treo 755p which replaced another Treo (I believe the Treo 650).
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    I don't know which option to select. I haven't had a cell phone in a long while! I had a Cingular T68 (I think?) on Cingular along time ago, but decided to finally get a phone again BECAUSE of the Pre. BTW, I'm taking it back this week and will buy another when the build quality is fixed. I understood this could happen buying a new phone on launch, but I'm not willing to do 4-5 exchanges like many have in order to get the 'perfect pre'. It's an awesome phone and I'll check back in 3-4 months. Maybe they will also have some crucial software features completed by then. Also, I don't mind Sprint at all so far, it has only been 3 weeks though.
    Verizon: 700p(me) and Motorola Q (husband).
    I had a Treo 650 and was with SunCom/T-Mobile. I had been waiting for a Palm phone to come out that pretty much did it all and this was the one that I finally saw that fit the bill. I had been happy with T-Mobile (T bought SunCom) over the years, but I would say the Sprint phone service is as good if not a bit better than T-Mobile in my area. Factor in I'm only paying about $5 more under Sprint for a better plan and I am quite pleased as I approach 30 days. I just hope the service continues and the updates keep rolling out. I am a happy Pre owner at this time!
    All I can say is what's in my sig.
    Went from iPhone to Pre and love it!
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    My wife and I have been Sprint customers since 1995. I got her the Instinct about 3 months ago and I got the pre launch day upgrading from a Razr2 V9m that I really liked. So far I really love the pre and well Sprint for us is like a marriage, you take the good with the bad.
  19.    #19  
    Wow! Much bigger response on this forum than SprintUsers. Keep it coming! Love the stories that are accompanying the poll results.

I wish that this were a representative sample, but it's not. Still roughly 20% users coming from other carriers is interesting. That's more than I thought.
    Wife, Mother, Sister, and I (two accounts, but four phones), changed from the Instinct S30 to Pre's.. Lucky store manager made three sales in about 15 minutes...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast