View Poll Results: What carrier / phone did you have before Pre?

Voters
228. You may not vote on this poll
  • Smartphone on Sprint

119 52.19%
  • Feature phone on Sprint

38 16.67%
  • iPhone on AT&T

13 5.70%
  • Other smartphone on AT&T

10 4.39%
  • Feature phone on AT&T

8 3.51%
  • Smartphone on Verizon

19 8.33%
  • Feature phone on Verizon

4 1.75%
  • Smartphone on other carrier

9 3.95%
  • Feature phone on other carrier

7 3.07%
  • I already answered on SprintUsers

1 0.44%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Great poll!

Came from a Katana that my sister lent me after she got her stupid IPhone on AT&T.
    So I upgraded to Katana from a REALLY old phone I had:

This is the old phone I had; it was HORRIBLE. It wasn't pink though...

Anyway, I had my Katana for a couple months. I hate that phone too.
    Was going to get a BB Curve 8330 but I was like "why not, I'll just jump up to a very new phone"...

Big jump!
    It feels great to have a "Now" phone, lol.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Sprint customer since 2005. LG Fusic to Mogul to Touch Pro. Had to get off the $22 plan to get the Pre, but it's worth it.
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    Been with Sprint since 2000. Started with the Treo 650, 700p, and then the 755. Now, got the Pre. I got it on June 6 and it has been flawless in build quality. Got the 1500 minute everything share plan with a second line, using an old Sanyo flip phone as the secondary line which qualifies now for an upgrade but will wait for Pre 2.0. Very happy Sprint customer here.
  4.    #24  
    If this were a representative sample, this would mean that 28% of sales went to new customers. Assuming 300,000 units, that's 84,000 new customers for Sprint. And roughly 16,000 of them from the iPhone.

But, alas, this sample is almost certainly not representative.
    switched from a Nokia 1600 on Net10
    Well i was a centennial customer for 10 years i gave them ample opertunity to make me happy no dice. I then said screw this and tried an instinct s30 it has no apps. I decided
    to give the pre a try and i love it apps will come as it has not been out long. But its a palm os so there be apps my vote is for a mobipocket book reader i so miss it. And for ten bucks a month then i was paying them i am very happy. I do have a bit of a wobble on mine but its not a big deal i will wait till it gets worse or 6 months have paased.
    I was on Verizon for 10+ years and made the switch, from a Motorola Q (worst phone ever).

3 Major Reasons
    1) Cost - a comparable plan on verizon (with nav, unlimited text, etc) would run me ~$30-50 a month more
    2) Phones - Verizon's smartphone/bberry selection is limited, and the phones they do have get crippled hardware and software (compare the VZW Touch Pro to the Sprint Touch Pro). I also wanted a smartphone that was not WinMo or RIM, which left me with 0 options on VZW. Besides that, I LOVE the Pre.
    3) Arrogance - For some reason, Verizon's marketing, phone builds, pricing, customer service all gave me the impression they stopped caring about individual customers because they have the best network.

Concerns
    -Network
    -Network
    -Network

There really doesn't seem to be any comparison nationwide in terms of overall quality of coverage. Verizon is the winner here and is what kept me on their network for 10 years. Ultimately, though, I was sick of making the other trade offs (phones, features, pricing, etc).
    Centro on Sprint
    With Sprint since the merger ( i was originally with Nextel) Switched for the Instink, and now with the very sexy and very beautiful Palm Pre... The best phone ever!
    Quote Originally Posted by jimlynch11 View Post
    I was on Verizon for 10+ years and made the switch, from a Motorola Q (worst phone ever).

3 Major Reasons
    1) Cost - a comparable plan on verizon (with nav, unlimited text, etc) would run me ~$30-50 a month more
    2) Phones - Verizon's smartphone/bberry selection is limited, and the phones they do have get crippled hardware and software (compare the VZW Touch Pro to the Sprint Touch Pro). I also wanted a smartphone that was not WinMo or RIM, which left me with 0 options on VZW. Besides that, I LOVE the Pre.
    3) Arrogance - For some reason, Verizon's marketing, phone builds, pricing, customer service all gave me the impression they stopped caring about individual customers because they have the best network.

Concerns
    -Network
    -Network
    -Network

There really doesn't seem to be any comparison nationwide in terms of overall quality of coverage. Verizon is the winner here and is what kept me on their network for 10 years. Ultimately, though, I was sick of making the other trade offs (phones, features, pricing, etc).
    Jim,
    You captured both my reasons and concerns w/ the switch from VZW precisely. If VZW had a decent smartphone, that they didn't cripple I might have stuck around.
    WRT the arrogance at VZW, I think that has become a problem w/ most carriers. Tethering is the prime example of carrier arrogance. I, like a number of folks would like to have the option for those rare instances where I need it, but I'm not willing to pay 30-60 dollars a month to have seperate data plan for it. Not to mention if I was going to pay for a data plan, what makes Sprint think I will pick them? My laptop like a lot of newer laptops has a built in Wireless 3G card (VZW) so why should I pay good money to buy Sprints modem?
    Finally, I've been sold a unlimited (all the carriers still call it that even though they all cap the data) data plan w/ my pre. I may hit .5 GB worth of data use out of my 5GB cap. If I was allowed to tether, and I had a weeklong business trip I might end up using a whole GB. If most carriers would quit trying to get people to pay for a whole seperate data plan, and offer a $10 tethering rider plan, they would likely make more money. Sorry, rant finished.

Cheers
    Dan
    On Sprint since 2001. Moved up from 700p which I got on launch day. Swore I would never buy a launch day phone again. Got the Pre on launch day, no regrets.
    Been on sprint all my life except for 1 year with Verizon (overpriced) only issue I have is on the 2nd floor of my house I get almost no bars but when I step outside I get 3 bars or more anyone else with this issue?
    i switched over from AT&T to Sprint....my old phone was a Nokia flip one and i was paying $92 a month for 900 rollover and 1500 texts per month....so when my contract ended on june 30th this year i was happy for an upgrade....to upgrade to an iphone my monthly plan would of have been $128 per month and if i wanted GPS navigation it was $138.....I laughed right out of the store and went next door and switched to sprint and got my Palm Pre!!!
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmandoJF View Post
    to upgrade to an iphone my monthly plan would of have been $128 per month and if i wanted GPS navigation it was $138.....I laughed right out of the store and went next door and switched to sprint and got my Palm Pre!!!
    Wow. You should almost count as in the iPhone category.
    I forgot to mention that was with Verizon for 10+ years. It was the only cell company I had ever been with and my husband felt that since they have the best coverage, in America, there wasn't a reason to look elsewhere.

That changed when the Pre came to Sprint and I could still get calls at my home and office. With my 700p and VZW I hadn't been able to get calls at the office. I'm sure it was the phone and not the carrier, because I could use my daughter's Centro just fine.

Having said all that, I love my Pre and my husband has already switched over too. My kids will be coming over 1 per month, because there's only so many new phones we can afford all at once.
    T-mo, Blackberry Flip and hotspot@home to
    Sprint, Pre, and Airave.
    I originally started at Nextel (you weren't cool around me unless you had an i90 or i95 and were chirping every 5 seconds) Then upgraded to the i850 with nextel and at this point they merged with sprint // nextel. Got a random sprint phone then a M300, M520, Pre

My first smartphone and it is the bomb diggity (only 1 random dead pix). Family just got the everything data plan so everyone is upgrading. Mom got the instinct s30 and I'm convincing the stepdad to get the pre which will probably happen soon.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12