Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    See, all the grumbling on this main forum has caught the attention of the press.

Tech Trader Daily - Barron’s Online : ABC: Palm Users Complain of Hardware Faults

Leading the tech news at ABC this morning is this report that owners of the Palm (PALM) “Pre” smartphone are grumbling about the manufacturing quality of the device, which is somewhat surprising given all the focus has been on the device’s snazzy “Web OS” operating system software. Writing of cracked screens, gapping edges and faulty action on the slide-out keyboard, ABC cites posts on the blog precentral.net, under a thread titled “horrible build quality.” There, users have been commenting on dead pixels on the touch screen and discoloration, while other users say their units are just fine and are raging about “trolls” posting possibly erroneous problems in an effort to tarnish the device’s reputation. The ABC piece says it got no response in inquiries with Palm itself, and quotes analyst Ed Snyder with Charter Equity Research as saying the problems are to be expected with new devices.
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    My Pre has been perfect since I got it two days after launch.

Let's see if ABC now quotes that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyndall View Post

So they should say you lucked out?
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyndall View Post

Well, at least ABC did note that others are saying theirs are perfect.

Palm Fans Defend Pre
    And many Pre fans have been stepping up to the plate to defend Palm's newest device.

"I love my Pre. I have had zero problems with it. And I use the phone constantly, sliding the keyboard in and out countless times per day...," wrote one commenter on PreCentral.net.

Another chimed in, "I know 3 people with the pre none of their phones or mine have any of these issues i do think there are some bad ones out there but i think the good ones far out weigh the defective ones."

Overall, PreCentral.net's Bohn said the smart phone holds promise.

"I think it's an incredibly strong 1.0 product. It's very good. It does what is needs to do for Palm as a company," he said. "But they're not done yet. They need to keep improving software on the phone."
    And even Ed Synder, the skeptic who first told of the huge shipments as noted by his sources in manufacturing defended the Pre's defect rate:

But Edward Snyder, principal analyst with Charter Equity Research, said that these online comments don't tell the whole story. As the comments provide only anecdotes, he said they can't be construed as data points.

"With the launch of most new smart phones, you end up having issues," he said. "We do know that the return rate on this phone is pretty low."

Although Palm executives declined to disclose official return rates for the Pre in an investor call last week, Snyder said he estimates that the figure is in the high single digits. Usually, the rate of returns for smart phones is in the 10 to 15 percent range, he said.
    Palm does need to make a statement. Either this is par for the course or they have discovered and fixed the problem and will make any frustrated consumers WHOLE. Either way, it deserves a response.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I don't seem them talking about how the iPhone literally burns... and turns the covers brown from the burning.
    I just saw a story on Fox News about how hot some of the the new iPhones are getting. Apparenty if you have the white one it gets so hot that it causes discoloration of the back.
    Quote Originally Posted by burnsie28 View Post
    I don't seem them talking about how the iPhone literally burns... and turns the covers brown from the burning.
    It's happened to like two people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Badandy127 View Post
    32GB iPhone 3GS here, use it constantly - no heat issue. My Pre got pretty warm when it was having a tough time pulling a signal, maybe the iPhone does the same. I live in the Midwest, we typically have better service with AT&T than Sprint here.

I've heard numerous people say on the West coast it's the opposite, AT&T is worse than Sprint. So could be a geography thing.

Moral: If you like the Pre, move West. If you prefer the iPhone, move to the Midwest. Totally reasonable, right? Pick up and move 'cross country for the phone of your choice!

-n8
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    LOL. All the anecdotes from cruising PreCentral forums is nothing more than BS. Hoards of haters can come here and post whatever the heck they want and not even OWN the phone. Likewise fanbois can come in and claim their Pre not only makes calls but stops aging and cured their backaches.

It's all kind of pointless and funny, because nothing anyone on here says (unless it is something useful relative to a "tip or trick" to make using the phone easier or more interesting) is productive. Stating "I got a perfect Pre" or "I got a bum Pre" makes no difference to anyone on here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Badandy127 View Post
    It has happened to way more than 2 people. Go to engadget, it's not an uncommon problem.
  12. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    This just in:

A handful of comments on an internet forum can't be used as a basis for scientific inquiry. More at 10.
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    This just in:

A handful of comments on an internet forum can't be used as a basis for scientific inquiry. More at 10.

HOLY CRAP! I guess I made a bad decision when I chose to live my life solely based on what I read on message boards.

DAMN!
    wow, i didn't know living where there was no sprint signal constituted a bad phone.

I wouldn't ever own an iPhone, cause i live in northern michigan, NO ATT service, but decent to mediocore sprint service. so pre it is for me.

alltel is awesome up here, but no hardware and now verizon owns them and verizon can go fly a kite.
    Last edited by Funky Cricket; 07/01/2009 at 03:04 PM. Reason: can't type
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    This just in:

It is a known fact that exactly 85% of all forum posts facts are wrong.