1. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    I haven't seen this posted on the front page or much around the forums, so I thought I'd share this update from the Palm Developer Network blog:

Palm Developer Network Blog » Hello to our new Developer Network members!

Chuq answers some questions and gives some interesting insight in a comment he left following the blog post.

It looks like they're working to rapidly get the SDK out to the general public.

On your second question, I really don’t want to give out hard numbers, but I will use vague generalities — we doubled the size of the developer program friday, and I’m working to double it again by next friday. Exactly how many get in how fast depends on how our current infrastructure holds up and how quickly we can upgrade it to handle the size of the community. So the formal answer is “it depends. As fast as possible”. (on the pot odds, better than a 7/2 offsuit…
    But they're being held back primarily by infrastructure concerns

The feedback we got was pretty positive; not perfect, and those early developers really helped us make the SDK better. The primary limitation we have today is the capacity of our developer area, which wasn’t built to support the number of developers who want access. That’s actually a good problem to have, and we have a team working on bulking up the infrastructure, too. There are some really interesting things just over the horizon here, but it takes time.
    This is great news. I appreciate that Palm is actively participating in a dialogue with would be developers, and I think that we'll see a wide scale release of the SDK sooner than anticipated. In addition, I've seen many twitter updates from folks saying that they've been accepted into the PDN program.

Bring the apps!
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    Oh golly, I'll start holding my breath right now!
    Mike Dixon
    Software Developer
  3. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishous View Post
    Oh golly, I'll start holding my breath right now!
    Why the hate
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    So far it seems that Palm's biggest problems have been related to too much demand, both for the phone and access to the SDK! Man, those are great problems to have.
    How about a wide-scale release of some damned apps? A facebook one would be a start what with how buddy-buddy they seem to be with Palm.
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    Xyg - have you seen any talk of an emulator for testing apps? I'd like to dabble but not interested in bricking my phone or the wife's.
  7. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ION-q View Post
    Xyg - have you seen any talk of an emulator for testing apps? I'd like to dabble but not interested in bricking my phone or the wife's.
    There is a leaked SDK floating around, but it doesn't include access to any of the support docs.

There's a step-by-step guide on the pre dev wiki and in the webOS development forum here on PreCentral on how to use the leaked SDK if you're feeling adventurous.
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    Thanks. I saw a few things (like QEMU), but I'd prefer one as part of the SDK, built specifically for the Pre. This stuff is so cool.