1.    #1  
    Quite simple will the Pre do the following out of the box?

1) Desktop Sync with MS Outlook - calendar, emails, tasks, notes, contacts - or does this require to install some software?

2) Sync with MS Exchange at work - or does this require software?

3) keep my work emails/calendar etc.. separate from my personal emails/calendar etc..

4) Functionality to search emails / notes / etc..
    Quote Originally Posted by no1smartphone View Post
    Quite simple will the Pre do the following out of the box?

1) Desktop Sync with MS Outlook - calendar, emails, tasks, notes, contacts - or does this require to install some software?

2) Sync with MS Exchange at work - or does this require software?

3) keep my work emails/calendar etc.. separate from my personal emails/calendar etc..

4) Functionality to search emails / notes / etc..
    1) 3rd Party software is required for desktop sync. I thought this would bother me at first but it hasn't been an issue so far

2) It will do this out of the box with EAS but ultimately it depends on the policies set by your IT department due to some issues with EAS from what I have read on the forums

3) Yes

4) I haven't found a search capability for e-mails yet but I have been looking. Universal search works for contacts though.
  3.    #3  
    Which third party software do I need for Desktop sync?
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    PocketMirror
    I think the app is called pocket mirror or something like that, but I really think you need to be asking yourself why you have email, contacts, calendar, etc living on a desktop computer......
    Available right now is PocketMirror from Chapura www[dot]chapura[dot]com/pm_standard_pre.php (Can't post a link yet because of <10 posts)

Or if you use a Mac you can use The Missing Sync from Mark/Space. The windows version of Missing Sync is "coming soon".
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmogren View Post
    I think the app is called pocket mirror or something like that, but I really think you need to be asking yourself why you have email, contacts, calendar, etc living on a desktop computer......
    Not everyone works in the same way. I don't belileve in the cloud - I prefer having my privacy without google having access to my calendar, email and building up a profile of me and then selling that to the highest bidder.

I have logmein to access PC from anywhere. Data is all backed up to my external HD.
  8.    #8  
    Pocket mirror does not sync notes, tasks, emails?
    3) your contacts will all be mixed in together. When I synced my work email using Exchange it synced my work contacts in with my personal contacts and I can't separate them. If I remove the work contacts account, it removes the work email account too.
    I don't think anything syncs notes, tasks and e-mails. In theory you would just setup your e-mail account on the pre as well so I don't know if I understand the need to sync that unless you are thinking of sent items.

As for notes and tasks I don't think it is possible right now and probably won't be until palm opens the device up a bit. Calendars and Contacts are account based so these sync softwares create accounts for themselves and sync the data into these new accounts. Since their software created the account it has access to the data in that account. Tasks and Notes don't have accounts so I don't think 3rd party apps can access that data because of security policies.

It may be that some day that will change and palm will loosen up the restrictions but it may not ever change. Currently it is a limitation of WebOS.
    Not everyone works in the same way. I don't belileve in the cloud - I prefer having my privacy without google having access to my calendar, email and building up a profile of me and then selling that to the highest bidder.

I have logmein to access PC from anywhere. Data is all backed up to my external HD.
    You may not believe in it, but it exists

Seriously, Google is not the only answer. All of my stuff exists on the cloud, but it's all MY cloud...

That said, there is one caveat to one of your questions I want to add:

These will all show together on your Pre (Synergy), however, the data will not be intermingled on the seperate sources.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    You may not believe in it, but it exists

These will all show together on your Pre (Synergy), however, the data will not be intermingled on the seperate sources.
    You can also view them individually as well by clicking the button on the top right and choosing the calendar you want to view
  13.    #13  
    I am not bigging up my Nokia N95 but I could do this 2 years ago. Sync everything with outlook.

I really don't want to go Winmo but it seems the only option. Android is light years behind when it comes to sync.