Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    So as my 30 days approaches I'm getting more and more conflicted. I held off in January from getting an iPhone upon seeing the Pre and falling in love with it. Since getting it, I'm truly stoked by the many things of the phone.

Pros:

- I love the small size
    - The keyboard works great for me
    - The crispness of the screen is outstanding
    - Love the UI and the multi-tasking though I use the function just occasionaly atm

Now, most of the cons of the device SHOULD be able to be fixed by software, but I guess my worry is WILL it. The limited amount of programs that can go in landscape. The lack of a built in software keyboard. No zoom on the camera, nor video capture. Apps...the fact that Palm has been essentially silent for the past few weeks makes me waver along with their comments about SDK release. Not to mention I have the wonderful oreo twist. No real text editor besides the note program which looks and feels like...well, somewhere to take a short NOTE, not type on during a business meeting.

Additionally, multimedia is my main use with these kind of phones, Browsing and Messaging second, with the phone being third, and organization being last. I was hoping to use the organization software more on the Pre than I did on WinMo to get me a bit more organized since I figured it'd be better, but it just hasn't developed.

I knew going into the phone it was going to be a "wait and be patient" type phone. Apps, different software options, etc, they were all coming likely in time. I guess as time goes on however I'm slightly worried if this time period is going to be 3 to 6 months or closer to 6 months to a year.

If its the later, I've become more and more tempted as the 30 day mark approaches to ditch the Pre for an iPhone and bite the higher plan cost in exchange for having more features that I want now. On the other hand, if its the former, I can be that patient and its worth it with a 2 year contract to stick it out with the Pre.

Its a gamble either way, a roll of the dice, and I guess I'm having that last minute buyers regret as the 30 day mark is approaching. So what are your alls thoughts (Aside "just go to the iPhone, you suck, return your pre")? Do you think that many of the issues....apps, camera stuff, general OS things...will start to get resolved by the end of summer or are we looking at christmas or beyond before we start seeing our smart phone get some of the needed things to put it on a legitimate level of usefulness with iPOS/Android/WinMo/BB?
    Last edited by Zyphlin; 07/01/2009 at 09:47 AM.
    Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    Just go to the iPhone, you suck, return your pre.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    My take on some of these questions that you had.

"The lack of a built in keyboard."

It has a built in keyboard. All apps that work landscape and require text input will orientate to portrait once you turn the thing to typing position. So the current solution works and it is possible that a software keyboard will not be introduced soon.

"No zoom on the camera"

A digital zoom is rarely useful. Sometimes, maybe. Probably not too high on priorities of Palm developers.

"video capture"

Will be introduced. 100% sure.

"makes me waver along with their comments about SDK release"

SDK will be released. 100% sure.

"I have the wonderful oreo twist"

I believe these "loose slider" issues are overhyped. Change your unit if the twist is extreme.

"No real text editor"

There will be several free text editor apps. 100% sure.
    Last edited by ttcoupe; 07/01/2009 at 07:48 AM.
    I'm in the same boat as you. I don't know if I want to wait another 6-months or so for apps that I want now. But I actually like some of the features of the Pre better than the 3gs so it's making the decision really hard but I'm leaning towards keeping the Pre.

Most of the people I work with are all jumping on the iPhone bandwagon. After seeing them operate their iPhones, I kind of like the way the Pre works. I think multitasking is a really nice feature and I think it makes the phone that much more user friendly. I also think the whole messaging/notification/email is nicer than the iPhone and that is what I primarily use my phone for.

I would get the phone that fits your needs and your style of use.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ttcoupe View Post
    My take on some of these questions that you had.

"The lack of a built in keyboard."
    Eep, mistype there. Was meant to be "software keyboard".

"No zoom on the camera"

A digital zoom is rarely useful. Sometimes, maybe. Probably not too high on priorities of Palm developers.
    To you perhaps, fine. I like one. Its a feature I loved on my Touch Diamond and would very much want to see on the Pre. Even a x2 zoom is enough to make a difference.

"video capture"

Will be introduced. 100% sure.
    I agree with you on this one, this HAS to be released at some point. My only issue is it going to take 3 months or are we going to have to wait a year for it.

"makes me waver along with their comments about SDK release"

SDK will be released. 100% sure.
    Ditto above.

"No real text editor"

There will be several free text editor apps. 100% sure.
    See above.

As I said, I realize that the VAST majority (aside from my twist) are going to be fixable. My issue is the gamble between whether these things will be fixed in 3 to 6 months or if its closer to the 9 to 12 type of range. I'm going to get stuck in a 24 month contract. If 1/8th or 1/4th of it is a phone that frustrates me by not having a majority of features I want, I can handle that. If its closer to 1/3 or 1/2 of the time of my contract then my desire to be patient is severely impacted. Thus the gamble and the feeling of unease at the moment as I approach the 30 day mark.

Quote Originally Posted by mele View Post
    I would get the phone that fits your needs and your style of use.
    Yep. But that's kind of the issue. Right now, the iPhone fits my needs better than the Pre. I don't have ay doubt the Pre in time is going to meet and exceed my needs even better than the iPhone does. Its just debating on the gamble of how long it takes to get to that point.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Stay strong. Do not fall for that iPhone crapness.
    Zyphlin's been complaining about his pre in other threads.

Dude, just return it so the rest of us can get back to sharing our Pre experiences and sharing tips rather than listening to the griping.
    Even if you choose the iphone for a bit while webOS matures and makes its way to other carriers, you can end that contract pretty easily. Iphones sell for more than the ETF. Even the Pre would.

Considering you own a phone for 12 months these days and pay out the nose for smartphone plans, you should put a higher priority on the present..not what might happen in 6months. By that time you'll be looking forward to next year's releases..
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    If you honestly can not wait for the features you desire than get the iphone. Any one of us guessing how long it will be before palm makes those changes is just that, a guess.

Palm will make changes, add the features people want, and get more apps. Everyone keeps knocking the pre, palm, and sprint for not having enough apps. Keep in mind the iphone did not start with a dedicated app store. That is why there is still all those web apps(most work on the pre).

Remember palm is trying to play catch up on a phone and app store that got a 2 year head start. Let them do their own thing. Their goal is not to get people to switch from the iphone but to capture a part of the 75% of people who do not currently own a smart phone.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    Zyphlin's been complaining about his pre in other threads.

Dude, just return it so the rest of us can get back to sharing our Pre experiences and sharing tips rather than listening to the griping.
    What in the world are you on about? I've defended the Pre and called for patience from people as much as I've said anything bad. The only thing I've been critical about on a routine basis, and this is leading all the way back in february and march, has been Palm's business model in certain instances in regards to maintaining buzz or releasing things (commercials, apps, etc).

Seriously, show me these "threads", plural, where I've been "complaining" about my Pre and just griping. A little proof if you're going to throw these kind of accusations out. Or are you saying that anyone that does not say 100% positive things about a phone is somhow just "complaining" and needs to be rid of it, because that's not a reasonable expectation for ANY phone from ANY carrier by ANY maker.

Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Even if you choose the iphone for a bit while webOS matures and makes its way to other carriers, you can end that contract pretty easily. Iphones sell for more than the ETF. Even the Pre would.

Considering you own a phone for 12 months these days and pay out the nose for smartphone plans, you should put a higher priority on the present..not what might happen in 6months. By that time you'll be looking forward to next year's releases..
    You may have a good point there. By the time that I'd be ready to upgrade to a new phone the WebOS platform would likely be matured and its likely a WebOS device would be available on another carrier (if I went to another carrier and liked it).

You may be right here. Maybe what I need to do is sit down and do a Pro and Con for myself in regards to keeping the Pre, switching to iPhone, or just staying on what I've known for the past 10 years by going with the Diamond2 when it launches. And do the Pro and Con not based on the future but on NOW. Then, 12 months down the line, I can re-examine the issue.

At the same time, the potential with the Pre is just astounding, it just if it reaches it.

I feel like a GM in sports or something. Do you take the project who is rather raw but potential is through the roof, or do you take the guy that's game ready now but not likely to improve upon the points he's weak at currently.
    Global Posts
    355 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ttcoupe View Post
    Stay strong. Do not fall for that iPhone crapness.
    +1
    i never understand these threads., no matter the forum. dude, its your world that you live in. if you want the iphone, then go get it! it doesnt matter what we think its all about what makes u happy. I ditched my iphone for the pre, and ill never turn back, and Im a sprint employee! bottom line, its your money, spend it how u want. But posting u want a iPhone instead of your Pre in a PRE forum is just gonna get u chewed up!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    multimedia is my main use with these kind of phones, with the phone being seperate, and organization being last.
    You answered your own question. The Pre will be great at multimedia, but it will never be the priority like on iPhone. WebOS and Synergy are clearly targeting organization - which you rate last. That was your hint.

I love my Pre, Palm and Synergy, but organization is NUMBER 1, 2 and 3 for me. I have no time for multimedia, I need to get things DONE.
    Best Buy® Mobile Survey Reveals America's Appetite for Smartphones and the Killer Apps They Can't Live Without

For those surveyed who own smartphones, the most important features are accessing information from the Internet, sending messages and taking digital photos. More than half (58%) feel it is important to be able to listen to music on their mobile phone. Forty-one percent feel it is important to be able to engage in social networking such as Facebook, MySpace or Twitter. And 36% said being able to play games is important.

I think this kind of centers on what Palm is going for with multitasking, notifications, and synergy (along with real kb & form factor) being the differentiators. This should be what Palm focuses marketing on and makes a priority to fine tune.
    OP, if you are feeling as hesitant as you are you should return the Pre. You'll be past your 30 days and just find more and more reasons to regret not taking it back.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    dude i've thought about switching with the 30 day point fast approaching. to me montly plan price, comfort with network, and keyboard are all deal breakers. trust me the app and settings/customization options are issues but for my purposes price and keyboard are deal breakers. you need to make sure that the phone you have now and in the next 2 months is what you want and need. trust me after the shine wears off in august/september that is when you will either be kicking yourself or feeling like a proud papa/mama. dude above is right in 6-9 months you will be looking at the pre 2 or whatever is out from whoever.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Success100 View Post
    i never understand these threads., no matter the forum. dude, its your world that you live in. if you want the iphone, then go get it! it doesnt matter what we think its all about what makes u happy. I ditched my iphone for the pre, and ill never turn back, and Im a sprint employee! bottom line, its your money, spend it how u want. But posting u want a iPhone instead of your Pre in a PRE forum is just gonna get u chewed up!!
    Thing is I'm not saying "I want an iPhone instead of the Pre". I'm saying I honestly am unsure. Seriously, you've got 4 posts, you don't have to tell me what the point of the forum is, I know what the point of the forum is. Its to discuss the Pre. That's what I'm doing, namely what peoples thoughts are in regards to how long they think it may take for some of the software issues to be addressed and how people are feeling as they're coming up on the 30 day return point.

I might want an iPhone, I might want to go back to WinMo, I may want to stay with the Pre. I honestly don't know, thus why I said I'm conflicted. The Pre lured my enough to end up holding off on buying an iPhone for 6 months when I was originally going to do it and actually got me to purchase it. I like the phone, but I'm nervous about some things. That does not mean "OMG Pre sux0r, WTB iphonz"

Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    You answered your own question. The Pre will be great at multimedia, but it will never be the priority like on iPhone. WebOS and Synergy are clearly targeting organization - which you rate last. That was your hint.

I love my Pre, Palm and Synergy, but organization is NUMBER 1, 2 and 3 for me. I have no time for multimedia, I need to get things DONE.
    Thanks for the post, and you also made me realize this changes up to:

1. Multimedia and Entertainment
    2. Messaging and Web
    3. Phone
    4. Organizing

Which yeah, based on those, right now the iPhone likely beats it for 1 and arguable on the 3GS for 2, with the phone depending on service (I think AT&T is better where I'm at, but is worse if I move back home in the next year like I hope), and the Pre wins on number 4.

I think there's no reason why the Pre can't compete with number 1 if the media player gets some updated features and more apps get released, but just no clue when that may happen.

I love the keyboard, but its not a deal breaker for me. Typing on my gf's iPod Touch wasn't bad, and considering I've been using a tiny screened HTC Touch and HTC Touch Diamond for the past year and a half the iPhone's keyboard seems gigantic. So while the Pre's real keyboard is better than the iPhone's, its not a deal breaker (though if it had an onscreen one that would help make it more of one, as then I wouldn't have to slide out anytime even to type a "k" and could use it in landscape)
    Okay. I keep hearing people mention no keyboard in landscape. The keyboard still works and you can see the keys. It's a thumb board so you probably aren't typing 50 wpm. I've typed in landscape mode and it's not that big a deal. It's not like trying to learn grafitti, which I miss and love btw.

Anyway my advice is to stay with mature devices, in this case iPhone, and never get a new device if you want guarantees or have angst. Personally, I would have waited until the Pre was out for 3 months instead of being an early adopter. I came on the strength of knowing some type of SplashID would be available, knowing about classic, and having faith that the other software would eventually come.
    One thing that stood out to me on your post - Palm has not "kept silent" on APPS. They've said the SDK will be available by the end of summer. Third parties are going to develop the apps, not Palm, so Palm cannot/will not speak for them.

That said, I believe that all of the issues you're concerned about will be addressed, with the possible exception of the zoom. That one I'd put in the "possibly" category.

The bottom line is, purchasing any piece of hardware is an act of faith. Even buying one that has lots of current software releases. If nothing else ever comes out for that device, do you really want to be stuck with old software? So even then, you're buying on the belief that other things will come out.

As to the Pre, the amount of things I can do with it already has exceeded my expectations. Sales have exceeded what everyone has predicted. There's no doubt it's a success (at least, no doubt to any objective viewpoint). Because of all of that, there's little doubt in my mind that we will see massive support for it.

As for the time frame - I'd say things will trickle in during the next month, and probably we will begin to see a lot of new stuff after July.
    My Pre mostly sits on my desk (on its touchstone) while I use a 3GS. I do think the Pre has a great future, but if you want a usable smart phone phone right now The Pre ain't it.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast