Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Stay on topic? This thread isn't titled "Why I love my Pre". It's titled "Beginning to become conflicted" and the op posts a bunch of negatives about the Pre. Your posts (and now mine) take it more off topic than the negative comments from others.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    When a thread is started, we simply want it to stay on topic so that readers don't click on a thread labeled "Why I love my Pre" and end up flood of other people's opinions of why they think the Pre should have more apps, was released too early or many other things that takes the thread off topic.
    You mean like dedicating entire posts on why people should place other posters on ignore, complain about people dereailing threads, and attempting to plan a "ignore these people" post (already been tried and locked).

Yeah, I agree, or many other things that take the thread off topic.....
    I'll give it a shot, but the OP came to a devision OP was cpmfortable with & did not become distracted.

Fyi, probably label new tthread "watch out. .." And be cautious with my wording.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R View Post
    Sorry I didn't get to this thread sooner. To address the OP's original questions, I think you're likely going to be waiting close to a year to see some of the software that you're hoping for. This was my main factor in choosing an iPhone 3GS over the Palm pre. In a year I'll be willing to pay an early termination fee if the Palm pre software situation looks better than the iPhone for my wants/needs.

Unfortunately, it's wishful thinking to believe that there are going to be a significant number of 3rd party apps available in the next 6 months. The SDK hasn't been released and, last I heard, app code couldn't be obfuscated, so unless you're a developer in the "business" of making all of your code open-source, why would you touch the platform until that issue had been resolved? I suspect that Palm *will* resolve it, but I don't believe they have yet.
    I seriously doubt the wait will be anywhere near a year. In a year, they'll be getting ready to roll out the Pre2 or Pre4G or whatever they decide to call the 2nd Gen device.

Remember, Palm's success or failure largely depends on the Pre as its flagship device for the near future. They can't afford to let it fail or sit idle, hence several updates within the first month, which is almost unheard of.

Also remember, that many apps will be existing apps that will just need to be ported over to WebOS, which has been described by developers as very easy to program for. So within 3-4 weeks of the SDK being available to the masses, expect to see THOUSANDS of apps enter the playing field. SDK is supposed to be out by the end of summer, which is September, so by early October (at the absolute latest) we can expect to see a flood of apps AND fixes. But I'm sure we'll see a nice number trickle in by the early developers within the next few weeks.....IMO
    Phenom, I agree it won't be a year. Just the homrbrew apps already available disprove that theory. From the beginning I anticipated that additional(critical to individual choice) would be available month 3 after launch. Because of appoval and testing, it may be 100+, but that's okay.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    I don't think it'll take a year to start seeing apps roll in. I think 2 months from now isn't an over the top expectation.

I think Scott R may very well be correct about the software fixes for the OS. I HOPE he's not and it comes out in time for the holiday season, but I could very easily see them holding onto many things for next years "upgraded" model.

Video Recording, full copy and paste (its a DISGRACE that they blasted Apple for not having copy paste when they launched this and then didnt' include full C&P themselves), speed and battery tweaks, a scrubber on the music player, launcher categories and extra pages, etc...

Sadly those things, which are important to me to see fixed, may take a year simply because they want to milk it.
    When looking at apps, the big difference between the Palm Pre and the iPhone is that the Palm Pre uses web-based applications (javascript, html, css) while the iPhone uses both web-based and C++ applications (Objective-C). Having the ability to program in C++, in my opinion, expands the options for creating efficient and fast applications. From what I understand, Apple started out with the web-based app approach and later realized they needed to offer a C-compiled option.

Thus, iPhone app developers can use either a web-based approach or C-compiled approach which offers greater flexibility in development options. From my perspective, developing web-based apps for the Pre will take some time since you need to be creative in your coding (this coming from a long time Windows Mobile C++ programmer).

I would love it if Palm provided a C++ development environment (which they should be able to do, since the Palm Pre is Linux-based). Hopefully, that is being considered by Palm for future release.

More apps will certainly show up in the App Store, but it may take a while for developers to learn the WebOS APIs, code, and test their creations. So my advice is be patient. If you can't wait a few months, then you might be better suited to getting an iPhone now and re-evaluating your situation at a later date.
    cohoman

Palm Apps:

jVault and jChecklist
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cohoman View Post
    When looking at apps, the big difference between the Palm Pre and the iPhone is that the Palm Pre uses web-based applications (javascript, html, css) while the iPhone uses both web-based and C++ applications (Objective-C).
    From what I understand you're kind of correct but not really.

Yes, the Pre's programs are based off web languages. That said, they are far different than iPhone "webapps" for the simple reason that they are actually NATIVE apps. The Pre apps, mind you from what I understand, actually are physically on your device, able to interface with other things on your device, and can be accessed even when offline. This is different than Web Apps for the iPhone which were websites designed to provide application like features to an iphone by going to that page, which could be saved as an application icon. Due to this, the Pre Apps are a fair bit more powerful than the old iPhone web apps, though perhaps still lagging behind the C native apps of the iPhone.
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cohoman View Post
    When looking at apps, the big difference between the Palm Pre and the iPhone is that the Palm Pre uses web-based applications (javascript, html, css) while the iPhone uses both web-based and C++ applications (Objective-C). Having the ability to program in C++, in my opinion, expands the options for creating efficient and fast applications. From what I understand, Apple started out with the web-based app approach and later realized they needed to offer a C-compiled option.

Thus, iPhone app developers can use either a web-based approach or C-compiled approach which offers greater flexibility in development options. From my perspective, developing web-based apps for the Pre will take some time since you need to be creative in your coding (this coming from a long time Windows Mobile C++ programmer).

I would love it if Palm provided a C++ development environment (which they should be able to do, since the Palm Pre is Linux-based). Hopefully, that is being considered by Palm for future release.

More apps will certainly show up in the App Store, but it may take a while for developers to learn the WebOS APIs, code, and test their creations. So my advice is be patient. If you can't wait a few months, then you might be better suited to getting an iPhone now and re-evaluating your situation at a later date.
    I was/am hoping for Perl and/or Python: efficient AND quick to develop in.
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Zyphlin, great. Congrats on your decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R View Post
    ...I think you're likely going to be waiting close to a year to see some of the software that you're hoping for.
    A year? Based on what? Check out the forum's homebrew category, if only to get a confirmation on what Palm has always been saying about the ease of programming for WebOS.

If Palm is dead-set on individual approval before entry to the App Catalog, I hope they've hired lots of temp help for that first wave. As the SDK was promised for August, the App Catalog will go fully on-line and I'm betting there are tons of individual developers out there - OUTSIDE the dev programme - who by submitting full apps from Day 1.
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456