Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I have been reading these threads and was hesitant at first, not knowing what to expect. I got my Pre and I am very happy with it. I came from an Instinct, which I loved for the first 3 days. The Pre is great as it is...Keep in mind. The future will come, but is not here yet. With such a pliable platform, it should not become obsolete anytime soon, despite the fact that newer form factors WILL come along, probably not long from now. I think Palm has a future, provided that they dismiss the pre-release mysterious marketing and just get the SDK released when they speculate it will be ready, if not sooner. If you release it (SDK) they (APPS; Developers) will come...
    Same boat! Ignore some of these **** ants here complaining about your post. I think there are many like you. Myself, I'm not willing to accept the locked phones with att,vz,tm, or their outrageous prices/plans. I will be looking out for better phones on sprint, like the diamond touch pro 2 to name a few and will pay full price to dump the pre on my kid(who wants it) if palm has nothing going by then. And from my point of view looks realistic given palm **** poor updates to this point and history of such. Hackers do it in hours, palm needs months...
    Last edited by Wendellp; 07/01/2009 at 10:52 AM.
    My Iphone 3G and Blackberry using friends are all envious of the Pre after showing it to them. Of course this will be moot if apps don't start appearing soon, but we don't exactly need 50,000 apps like the Iphone where it is difficult to sort through all the noise.

My main complaint regarding the phone is light bleeding. I haven't seen a single Pre that does not have this problem, which is a shame and makes me contemplate returning the phone (albeit I most likely wont). My first phone barely had any, but unfortunately it got bricked by Sprint tech support and the two since have had pretty bad light bleeding ;p.
  4. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Just an FYI in regard to the SDK:

Palm Developer Network Blog Hello to our new Developer Network members!

On your second question, I really don’t want to give out hard numbers, but I will use vague generalities — we doubled the size of the developer program friday, and I’m working to double it again by next friday. Exactly how many get in how fast depends on how our current infrastructure holds up and how quickly we can upgrade it to handle the size of the community. So the formal answer is “it depends. As fast as possible”. (on the pot odds, better than a 7/2 offsuit…)
    Well, personally, I never really used the apps on the iPhone much since most of them were useless in my opinion, except for one I used for voice recording, one I used to learn japanese, and the X-Plane game I played occasionally. While the 3GS might be faster, I really have qualms with the OS and the lack of multi-tasking. My productivity has definitely gone up with the Pre since I can actually have multiple windows open all at once and I ain't giving that up so easily. And, I pay less for service than what my iPhone 3G cost me, and I don't get dropped calls! Win-Win!
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    I think most of the major software additions that you mentioned will occur within three months. Palm can't afford to fail with the Pre, so expect the support to be amazing in the early goings. They'll really want to ramp up sales and have the phone fully optimized before the holiday rush. So I'd imagine everything will come by September, October at the absolute latest.

I'm sure they don't want to run into the holiday season saying, "hey, we've got video now!" Because every other phone already has it. And they don't want to push out a major software update towards the end of Nov and then have message boards slammed with "HEY, THIS VIDEO CAMERA APP SUX." So I think they'll get it out in time to get the bugginess out before the holidays. I think they're holiday push will be the massive apps catalog that will be filling up by then.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    OP, You listed your priorities as follows:
    1. Multimedia and Entertainment
    2. Messaging and Web
    3. Phone
    4. Organizing

As was said before, Multimedia and Entertainment are the strengths of the iPhone. If this is truly your main focus (basically, you want a toy that can also make calls), then you should switch.
    Here's the breakdown as I see it:
    Multimedia and Entertainment are what the iPhone excels at, although why anyone would want to play a 3D game on a phone is beyond me.
    Messaging and Web - Messaging is owned (right now) by RIM's Blackberry. Palm could actually take this away from them if it chose to focus on it. Web, on the other hand, is actually a tie between the iPhone and the Pre. If surfing the web is important to you (and you don't usually have to open PDF files), the Pre is the way to go.
    As for the best Phone - I assume that you mean call quality and ease of use - Call quality is still getting there for many smartphones (at least of those that I have used), but as for the latter - the Pre's universal search makes life incredibly easy in this area. The only other phone that I have had that even comes close is a WinMo phone that allowed me to simply enter the first few letters of a contact directly into the phone app and then populated a list of possible names and numbers.
    Organization - In my opinion, this really depends on what you are used to, and what you are looking for. I personally have never used a task function on a phone prior to the Pre (they were just too clunky). However, the Blackberry's ability for a today screen allows for some pretty useful organizational tools. Blackberry calendars are much easier to use than WinMo ones, but the Pre is pretty easy as well.

In conclusion: The choice is up to you. However, Palm has already made clear that 3D games and such will not be as plentiful on this device as on the iPhone - it just isn't their emphasis. If you truly require that your phone be able to entertain you, perhaps you are better switching to an iPhone. But if you are looking for a device that can make your life easier and more efficient, perhaps you are looking for something else. As to whether or not to take a gamble on Palm and the Pre, think about it this way: If Palm does not meet consumer demands pretty quickly, they will not be around in a year to a year and a half. While they have hit a nice rebound with their company stock recently, they need to continue selling Pres. Unhappy consumers equal less new sales. So the real question is "Would I recommend this product to my friends?" and if the answer is "Yes," then keep it and have a little patience. Otherwise, go get an iPhone.
    I honestly hate people complaining about the zoom. There is no actual zoom in any digital camera. The only zoom that IS there is a digital zoom. It's the equivalent of cropping a picture to see what you want and then blowing it back up the original size. You get no additional quality. If anything you get crappier quality. Just take a picture of what you want, then crop it and you'll end up in the same place.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Ugg, I hate the attitude some people have about even daring to mention entertainment. Seriously, this isn't directly aimed at you and you gave a very insightful post, but you stated a pet peeve of mine in "toy"

Is a TV a toy?
    Is a DVD player a toy?
    Is a mp3 Player/iPod a toy?
    Is a Kindle a toy?

Yes, games factor into this in part, and I can understand calling that a "toy" though even that is a bit perjorative. I'm not even really talking about massive 3d games though. I don't need to play some huge kart racing game or splinter cell or something. Games like Bejeweled or Peggle, Tetris, Brain age, a rhytem game, and other time wasters are good. I know this may blow the mind of some people...but it is nice to be able to not need to carry around a phone, a PDA, a DS or PSP, a portable DVD player, and an iPod.

I have to ride the metro often and like to maybe be reading a book (thus an ebook would be nice to lighten the load) or watch a TV show or play a quick game. I like listening to podcasts at my desk and listening to music while I work out. During football season its nice to boot up Yahoo while sitting out at my couch or maybe at a bar to check my fantasy football stats. These are all "entertainment" things in my mind and don't really see how this is a "toy" unless you're telling people who go out and buy a $1000 plasma that they're just buying a "toy".

Perhaps I'm wrong for getting defensive about the perjuritive, but the majority of times I've heard people deride items as a toy (Palm users use to do it to many of us PPC users previously) simply because it can actually do entertainment things.
    Last edited by Zyphlin; 07/01/2009 at 01:56 PM.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aolbites View Post
    I honestly hate people complaining about the zoom. There is no actual zoom in any digital camera. The only zoom that IS there is a digital zoom. It's the equivalent of cropping a picture to see what you want and then blowing it back up the original size. You get no additional quality. If anything you get crappier quality. Just take a picture of what you want, then crop it and you'll end up in the same place.
    Yes, I understand that digital zoom isn't REAL zoom, that the software is essentially automatically cropping the picture, expanding it, and cleaning it up. I understand that quality suffers a bit.

I don't really care.

Its a feature I have on my HTC Touch Diamond that I've found to be very useful and while not GREAT it definitely increased the usability of the camera.

You know what I hate? People that are such fanboys of a phone that they make excuses for deficiencies instead of saying "yeah, its still a good phone without that, but it'd be great if it got this other feature". Its the same thing with the on screen keyboard. The funny thing is is these people tend to be the same ones that would turn up their nose at the iPhone for not copying and pasting or multitasking. Yeah, some may have no use for it and not use it...but I'd dare say a good many people WOULD like to be able to zoom, even if it was only up to 2x.
    hackers aren't liable if you screw up your phone with their hack. they always have a disclaimer that yo do so at your own risk. Palm doesn't have that luxury.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendellp View Post
    Hackers do it in hours, palm needs months...
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    My Pre mostly sits on my desk (on its touchstone) while I use a 3GS. I do think the Pre has a great future, but if you want a usable smart phone phone right now The Pre ain't it.
    Usable for what? Why you have an unusable product on your desk says a bit about thought process to me.

Before I bought my Pre I thought about what I need for my life. If I needed to make videos, I might have bought an iPhone. I don't, I didn't. If anyone here needs Entertainment as a priority for their phone, I doubt Palm will catch up in that department soon. They'll be respectable, but not cutting edge (IMHO). That's not their legacy, nor is it the focus of either WebOS or Synergy. WebOS is about access to information and so is Synergy.

Video editing? - Not so much. Stop trying to put a round peg in a square hole.

Think "Smart" - "Phone" i.e. phone with intelligence. That's where Palm is. Not games, not video editing, not fart apps. They'll be respectable in those areas to compete, but they want to innovate on the SMART part of the equation. That's good for ME because that's what I need. Your mileage may vary.
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    Usable for what? Why you have an unusable product on your desk says a bit about thought process to me.
    Don't bother. Mobilething isn't being totally honest. The Pre is useful for him. It's doing exactly what he purchased it to do. It's given him the opportunity to say "I have both, and like my iPhone"...
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Yes, I understand that digital zoom isn't REAL zoom, that the software is essentially automatically cropping the picture, expanding it, and cleaning it up. I understand that quality suffers a bit.

I don't really care.

Its a feature I have on my HTC Touch Diamond that I've found to be very useful and while not GREAT it definitely increased the usability of the camera.

You know what I hate? People that are such fanboys of a phone that they make excuses for deficiencies instead of saying "yeah, its still a good phone without that, but it'd be great if it got this other feature". Its the same thing with the on screen keyboard. The funny thing is is these people tend to be the same ones that would turn up their nose at the iPhone for not copying and pasting or multitasking. Yeah, some may have no use for it and not use it...but I'd dare say a good many people WOULD like to be able to zoom, even if it was only up to 2x.
    Ok so basically until the Pre has every single feature of every phone in history , it's not good enough.

Got it.
    Originally posted by hparsons:
    Don't bother. Mobilething isn't being totally honest. The Pre is useful for him. It's doing exactly what he purchased it to do. It's given him the opportunity to say "I have both, and like my iPhone"...
    Good point. You have a 30 day return option and if you don't like the phone, you'd return it or, you have an agenda, or you're being disingenuous. No one would keep a phone w/ an ongoing $70 per month minimum cost w/o a reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Of course hparsons is the biggest Palm apologist here, so there is no way to have a rationale discussion.

Its unusable for me because it still cannot sync with my corporate exchange servers.

I find the calendar to be unacceptable compared to Pocket Informant on my iPhone.

I miss not having the other 3rd party apps that I use on a daily basis on my other phones.

I find the speed of the OS to be sub par for doing basic things compared to my other devices.

I find the battery life to be unacceptable.

Ok, hparsons, you can begin your attacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    Good point. You have a 30 day return option and if you don't like the phone, you'd return it or, you have an agenda, or you're being disingenuous. No one would keep a phone w/ an ongoing $70 per month minimum cost w/o a reason.
    Not returning it (didnt pay for it to begin with). I also do not pay the monthly fee. So now please stop with the petty attacks. I'm Curious to see what Palm does with some software upgrades.

I think with some upgrades, hardware revisions, and availability on a better network the Pre will be a useful device.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Ok so basically until the Pre has every single feature of every phone in history , it's not good enough.

Got it.
    While this was not intended for me originally, In my opinion I would like the Pre to at least perform the features it does have well. Currently, I don't think it does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quold View Post
    but as for the latter - the Pre's universal search makes life incredibly easy in this area.
    Great post. But in this case (since you are directly comparing the Pre and its competitors), I'd direct people's attention here

Apple - iPhone - Search for text across every app on iPhone.

That is real, universal search.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Not returning it (didnt pay for it to begin with). I also do not pay the monthly fee. So now please stop with the petty attacks. I'm Curious to see what Palm does with some software upgrades.

I think with some upgrades, hardware revisions, and availability on a better network the Pre will be a useful device.
    The Pre was designed primarily to sync multiple sources. If you're not paying for a service, then you obviously, it's not working well.

I can't imagine anyone talking about the ATT network, and comparing it as "better" to Sprint's, then expecting to be taken seriously.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast