webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre and Pre Plus > What's a good RSSI?
What's a good RSSI?

Old 07/01/2009, 01:40 AM   #1 (permalink)

Okay, there's been a great deal of discussion around the impact of reception on battery life. So, what's considered a good RSSI?

I go from -90 to over -100, which I understand isn't very good...
Old 07/01/2009, 05:44 AM   #2 (permalink)

Generally you won't drop a call until you are over 115 in my experience with my Pre. Good would be sub 65 but you can't just go by that the error numbers are important as well. IO/EC of 6 or lower is good so if your RSSI is 90 but IO EC is 6 you still have good service.

Don't stress about signal unless you either drop calls or can't access the web. Sprints network works very well even with 1 bar or low signal. It does impact battery some but only if you are switching to 1x.
Aridon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/01/2009, 07:22 AM   #3 (permalink)

Since RSSI (in my experience of watching it on my Pre) is always a negative number, I assume that Aridon means under -115 not over 115. And my experience refute's his number. I've never seen an RSSI under (more negative) than about -106/-107 and I've consistantly dropped calls with RSSI numbers in the -90's and even higher. I've measured RSSI whilest standing 100 yards from a Sprint tower and had an RSSI number of about -90.

I'm coming to not trust RSSI as a valid value on the Pre. The only way I've been able to get something close to an acceptable performance is to set 'Sprint only' as the network using the menu's and then force EVDO Hybrid A only. To do this, enter the phone and type on the keypad ##EVDO#.

I'm convinced that the algorithyms used in the phone are mismanaging the connection. They seem to be doing something like this. They look for Sprint first. But then if a better roaming signal is available, it switches to it. Then it realizes that it's supposed to be a Sprint phone first, so it switches back. All the back & forth causes wasted power usage, and above all NEARLY EVERY call I made got dropped. The updates seem to have helped some, but it could just be my hopeful thinking. I just installed 1.0.4 last night so I'll see how she performs today.
Ken M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/01/2009, 07:39 AM   #4 (permalink)

I would agree that the RSSI readings on the pre may be off. On any over phone I have had, it topped out at about -105, and anything at or past that point would drop. The pre constantly has about a 10 point loss over any other phone sitting around it.
My Sanyo M1 will be -79, my Pre will be -89.
Something tells me what the meter is off by 10.
yankees368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/01/2009, 08:00 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees368 View Post
I would agree that the RSSI readings on the pre may be off. On any over phone I have had, it topped out at about -105, and anything at or past that point would drop. The pre constantly has about a 10 point loss over any other phone sitting around it.
My Sanyo M1 will be -79, my Pre will be -89.
Something tells me what the meter is off by 10.
Ditto when I've compared it to my old Treo 650 which is hugely beat up and dying.
Ken M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/01/2009, 08:04 AM   #6 (permalink)

Every device can calculate rssidifferently there isn't a set standard. Comparing rssi and droped calls without looking at ec/io is pointless. You can drop a call with a rssi of -25 if your ec/io is 12.
Old 07/01/2009, 08:39 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
Every device can calculate rssidifferently there isn't a set standard. Comparing rssi and droped calls without looking at ec/io is pointless. You can drop a call with a rssi of -25 if your ec/io is 12.
I think we are really just putting the fact out there that the calculation seems to be off. There is no way that my TP could ever hold a call with an RSSI of -115. No phone I have ever had can go over -105.
Either it just be adjusted to show the proper signal, or we just gotta get used to seeing crappy values.
Old 07/01/2009, 08:51 AM   #8 (permalink)

I went to the Sprint store the other day and put my Pre next to a display 755p, both with their ##debug# screens showing RSSI. The 755p was about -55 and my Pre was about -70.
KJ78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/01/2009, 09:26 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ78 View Post
I went to the Sprint store the other day and put my Pre next to a display 755p, both with their ##debug# screens showing RSSI. The 755p was about -55 and my Pre was about -70.
Yeah, see. Something is wrong with the way the pre shows RSSI. The store likely has a repeater, and the -55 is accurate, the -70 is way off.
That, or our radio sucks lol.
Old 07/01/2009, 09:29 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Yeah, see. Something is wrong with the way the pre shows RSSI. The store likely has a repeater, and the -55 is accurate, the -70 is way off.
That or the algorythm between two different radios and OS are well different.
Old 07/01/2009, 09:39 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
I think the store has a repeater as I got the best RSSI closer to the store.
KJ78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/01/2009, 09:42 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ78 View Post
I think the store has a repeater as I got the best RSSI closer to the store.
Any corporate sprint store should have a repeater, if it is needed. Heck, even if it isn't. At my local sprint store (green acres mall, valley stream, NY), verizon gets no signal in there, lol.
Old 11/27/2011, 11:46 PM   #13 (permalink)

a good target RSSI is -80 (which is better than -90 or -100). -80 is the best service the tower will offer even if you get -70 or -60 etc.....
courtlandk is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0