View Poll Results: ?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Get the Pre now

55 85.94%
  • Wait another month or two

9 14.06%
  1.    #1  
    Well its July and I'm finally qualified for my upgrade and have almost put enough money aside to get a Pre. My general concern has always been the build quality. For some reason I trust that Palm will eventually get all the bugs and features worked out in the software department. I read somewhere palm ships 15,000 Pre's a day. Is there any indication the general quality is improving? should I either wait longer or just try my luck?
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    it
    depends
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Stihl View Post
    it
    depends
    on?
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    I wondered the same thing, I too had been waiting and watching the posts long before the release. I bought mine today and it's a great thing. I am still exploring it as we speak. I am excited to find that it sync's with itunes and my pictures. Now I am looking around for apps. I did chat with the sales rep at the Sprint store and she said this is the only version coming out for a while, only software updates will be released in time. In the event a new version of the phone comes out within 30 days of purchase, she said I can return it and get the new one.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by sakatty View Post
    I wondered the same thing, I too had been waiting and watching the posts long before the release. I bought mine today and it's a great thing. I am still exploring it as we speak. I am excited to find that it sync's with itunes and my pictures. Now I am looking around for apps. I did chat with the sales rep at the Sprint store and she said this is the only version coming out for a while, only software updates will be released in time. In the event a new version of the phone comes out within 30 days of purchase, she said I can return it and get the new one.
    yea i dont expect a whole new phone but sometimes once mass production kicks in. They discover obvious flaws in the production and make corrections. i mean they are producing thousands of phones everyday. I have played with the phone in the store a lot and love its general set of features and believe the ones that are lacking will be updated in the future.
    I say get the pre! You'll love it... the multi-tasking... the OS... Synergy. Mine has a little side to side wiggle when closed, but it's nothing that gets in the way of using it and even with the wiggle, it's a great device.
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    when you go to get your pre... make sure there isnt any gap between the top and the bottom of the phone. My pre has no gap and has been closing rock solid since day one. That seems to be the resonating complaint in this forum. So just make sure of that when you get your new pre and you are golden. Enjoy! I love my phone more and more everyday and I am sure you would too!
    Get it now just look it over carefully before you leave the store..after reading these forums for a bit you should be aware of any problem your phone MIGHT have.
  9.    #9  
    yea i will definitely look it over. what is a checklist i should

-gap between screen and back
    -sturdiness of slider
    -light leakage
    -dead pixels
    -discoloration

anything else?
    There are really multiple answers to this question. If you are itching to upgrade, need a new phone, need some technology that the Pre offers that you don't have - UPGRADE NOW!!

If you are just looking at what to do next, you might do better to wait. If you hate v1 devices, you should wait. If you want it to work as consistently as your fridge, you should wait - FOREVER.

I love my Pre, waited on launch day, have no defects (of which I'm aware) and did finally get EAS working. It has changed my life. HOWEVER, I'm prone to gadget-lust, love Palm and did not have GPS, A2DP or a decent web browser.

Frankly, I ddint' need those things, but I knew synergy would change my life. It has. I have four calendars running right now and my personal and professional life are in balance. My assistant or I post new appointments and we are updated in minutes (whether on Pre or Outlook). That alone was worth the price of admission even if some BB owners have had this for awhile.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    I too am upgrading today. I am only eligable for the $75 off but I love my wife's pre and I really hate my 800w. I am only getting $75 off but I think it is worth it.
    Sprint Phones owned since Fall of 2001: Samsung I300, Samsung I330, Samsung I500, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Centro, 800w, Palm Pre, Samsung Epic and now the HTC 3D EVO.
    I got mine on launch day with a black background box and it is fantastic! No build quality issues for mine. I am absolutely satisfied with my phone. No issues, only good ones. (:
    I love my Pre, have had no problems with it and would recommend it to anyone.

*Edit*
    OK, not anyone.. I don't think it'd be right for my mother or my wife.
    Went from iPhone to Pre and love it!
    Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    It's very much a 1.0 device right now. If you demand perfection, you're going to be unhappy.

My thoughts:

Do you live in the cloud? Messaging in gmail, planning in google calendar, photos online, etc? You're going to like it now.

Are you a serious PalmOS user? Live in DateBk6, all your notes in Memos, etc? You're not going to be as happy. Classic is still very much a work in progress and native replacements are not there yet.

On the bright side, Palm does appear to be paying attention (speaking as a Treo700p owner who waited over a year for one OS update), and the platform should be steadily improving. I don't regret the purchase, but I'm sure missing DateBK right now...
    Palm IIIx-->Palm Vx-->Kyocera 6035-->Kyocera 7135-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p-->Pre