View Poll Results: Are you dumping the Pre?

Voters
257. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

47 18.29%
  • No

210 81.71%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    got mine on launch day and am going to keep it

i've had no hardware issues (cracks, pixels, wobble, etc.) and the things I dont like about the phone are mostly software related. other than that, I love it and will be getting TEP put on tomorrow
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I canceled my Sprint contract and will return my 2 Pres tomorrow. I had to exchange 2 phones twice for poor build quality issues. The percentages of the quality issues reported may be low compared to the total Pres that are sold, but I may just have really bad luck or I'm not meant to own a Pre. Like most people, I'm impressed with the OS but not with the hardware. I tried to ignore the problems but really couldn't take it any longer.

I may just wait until the end of the year for the newly built Pres or go for the HTC Hero as it is rumored that Sprint is in the testing process.

Oh by the way, please feel free to flame my post as I have seen this to many who have given up their Pre. Yeah you...you Pre fanboi...you know who you are.

The first step to curing fanboi-itis is to recognize that you are in denial.

Thank you and let the flaming begin.....
    If they can't fix my exchange sync problem by the 7th, then I am afraid I'm going to return it. In talking with Palm engineering, it looks like it's related to IT running the exhange server as a virtual machine under VMware... I don't know why that prevents proper synchronization, but they can reproduce the problem.

If they get this fixed, I'll put up with the lousy sprint coverage, but if not I'll return it and wait for AT&T to get it. By then the EAS bugs will be fixed and I'll have my usual coverage back.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I, too, will most likely be returning my Pre and cancelling my contract.
    I'm not happy with this - I absolutely LOVE this phone. However, I cannot do a number of things that I find necessary to both my business and personal life.
    I have gotten used to being able to copy-paste from practically anything into anything - this comes from using a number of devices that were either WinMo or Blackberry. I did know about this when I purchased the Pre - I just didn't realize how much of an issue it would actually be for me. (I had also hoped that Palm would fix this within the first 30 days or so.)
    The lack of ability to create contact groups is also a big issue for me. Do a forum search - the majority of my posts have been on this topic.
    Finally, the lack of ability to open PDFs from within the brower is really a problem. Once again, I never realized how much I depended on this feature until I no longer had it.

Once again, I am not happy about this decision, but a phone - no matter how great (and this phone is GREAT) - must make my life easier, or at least not harder. I find that this phone - at this time - does not pass this test
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I, too, will most likely be returning my Pre and cancelling my contract.
    I'm not happy with this - I absolutely LOVE this phone. However, I cannot do a number of things that I find necessary to both my business and personal life.
    I have gotten used to being able to copy-paste from practically anything into anything - this comes from using a number of devices that were either WinMo or Blackberry. I did know about this when I purchased the Pre - I just didn't realize how much of an issue it would actually be for me. (I had also hoped that Palm would fix this within the first 30 days or so.)
    The lack of ability to create contact groups is also a big issue for me. Do a forum search - the majority of my posts have been on this topic.
    Finally, the lack of ability to open PDFs from within the brower is really a problem. Once again, I never realized how much I depended on this feature until I no longer had it.

Once again, I am not happy about this decision, but a phone - no matter how great (and this phone is GREAT) - must make my life easier, or at least not harder. I find that this phone - at this time - does not pass this test
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    sorry for the double post - weird.
  7.    #27  
    You guys crack me up with your conspiracy theories. You need to relax and have a beer or two. When you first signed up on this forum did you just sign up to read or did you first sign up to post a thread or to reply to one?

FRANKIE SAYS RELAX!
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    Rude comment #962: It escapes me why people with zero posts are able to create polls but not able to create hyperlinks. Couldn't Polls be set at like a 300 post minimum? Some of these Polls (most of which are created by people with very low post counts) impress me with a purpose none other than to troll.
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    Well, I'm not going to rip on the Pre, because I like mine. However, after having it since launch and not much has changed, I don't think I can wait however long it will take for the app store to fill up, for them to add the missing features, and to fix radio signal issues.

I actually just got a 3G S to try it out since I've never had an iPhone and never tried AT&T. I thought it would make my decision easy to keep the Pre by finding out that AT&T sucks where I moved to, but that's not the case. Coverage is good here (Grand Rapids, MI) and the only thing the phone lacks for me is multitasking.

If they would just allow radio streaming apps like Slacker and Pandora to run in the background then I could live without the multitasking.

I'm leaning toward keeping the 3G S. It feels silky smooth and it may take quite awhile for Palm to iron out the few kinks in WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    Rude comment #962: It escapes me why people with zero posts are able to create polls but not able to create hyperlinks. Couldn't Polls be set at like a 300 post minimum? Some of these Polls (most of which are created by people with very low post counts) impress me with a purpose none other than to troll.
    And, I'd say at 16.35% "dumping", and 87 83.65% "keeping", a very ineffectual troll at that...
    Hey, the Pre is a great device. It has kinks as any first version does. For a lot of the users, the kinks aren't that much of an issue, and they'll all keep the phone. For others, one of the kinks may be a showstopper, in which case they'll return it.

Sprint (for me) sucks though. But it's not so bad that it's a showstopper for me. I'll put up with Sprint if I have to, at least for a year or so and when the ETF gets low enough I'll dump it, sell the CDMA Pre and move back to AT&T when the Pre is available there.

So for me, it's not a question of getting a Pre, it's a matter of when. Now, if they can fix my EAS issues, or later (with AT&T) if they can't fix it soon. But I will end up with a Pre - it is the right device for how I use a smartphone.
    I'm actually pretty surprised by the numbers in the poll considering this is a fansite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    I'm actually pretty surprised by the numbers in the poll considering this is a fansite.
    :-) We are Pre fans, not Sprint fans. And Sprint issues are responsible for most of the commplaints about poor coverage and poor battery life, and lack of tethering support.
    keeping my pre for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesm View Post
    :-) We are Pre fans, not Sprint fans. And Sprint issues are responsible for most of the commplaints about poor coverage and poor battery life, and lack of tethering support.
    That is true.
    I say let the idiots troll. They are on a Palm website with stupid polls. Let them be. They will eventually run away.
    And YES, I am keeping my Pre. Its the best phone to date. I can wait for it to grow and get better.
    Okay. I love my Pre and I"m keeping it. In fact, I got a second one for my husband and next month, a third one will be added for my daughter.

But I have to be honest, I thought about making this poll this morning. Unfortunately, I couldn't think of a polite way to ask all the dissatisfied Pre owners to return their Pre, quit complaining, and get off our forum.

I'm glad that a iPhone lover, or short stock buyer, or whoever this new poster started the post for me so that I can be moderately impolite w/o being the starter of the thread.
    My wife and I have Pre's. She ported her number back to Verizon this morning. She couldn't take the lousy cellular coverage. She loved the Pre -- she would tell people she had a Chevette in her Razor and that the Pre was a Corvette. She is hoping the Pre is coming to Verizon in 6 or so months. Verizon gave her a Blackberry Curve and the right to switch to the Pre when it arrives without penalty if she would come back.

I, just now, ported my Pre's number to AT&T while ordering the 3G S. Like my wife, I just couldn't take all the dropped calls, poor battery life, and the inability to acquire a data signal when I most needed it. The Pre is truly dependent on a good data signal to be useful. A "cloud computing" device needs to cloud to work. In my area, the cloud data signal was poor.

My wife and I are not Palm Pre haters. Like I said, she will get one when it arrives at Verizon. I cannot, however, say much good about the Sprint signal in my area.
    Not a chance, best device I've ever used.
    Went from iPhone to Pre and love it!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast