1.    #1  
    I'm due for my upgrade and have been monitoring these forums for a while. I'm very afraid of the build quality of the Pre and might just get a Treo Pro. I don't like WinMo but I want a smartphone besides a Blackberry and the HTC Touch Pro is a bit out of my price range.

My Best Buy just got in new shipments today in Houston and I was wondering a few things...

A) Does Best Buy let you exchange the phone if say I've got the oreo slider problem, or anything of the sort? Or would I have to bring it into the Sprint Store?

B) What color box would be the one I should aim for. I've heard of Black, White, Yellow, etc

C) Does anyone here own a Treo Pro? And if so, how would you say it compares to the Pre? (I know WinMo is very different, but speedwise and whatnot, does it perform well?)

If I think of anything more before tomorrow morning I'll edit but thats all for now

Thanks in advance, and heres to hoping I get a good Pre!
    If you are worried about the SLIGHT oreo effect on the Pre, don't get the Touch Pro. I returned 4 of them because of the twisting. It was WAY worse then the Pre. Plus the Pre is a helluva lot more stable.
    Do you need a new phone? If not, wait a few months and see what improvements are made to the Pre on both the hardware and software sides. You'll be kicking yourself if you get the Pro and then the Pre turns out to get the support it needs in order to become the ultimate smartphone offered by Sprint.
    Nice! Though, you might have been eligible for it earlier. On the sprint site (many months ago), it said that I was eligible July 1st, but I walked into a sprint store last saturday and imagine my surprise when the rep tells me I'm eligible already! But, in your case, you can't do anything now, so I don't know why I posted this
    how is sprint reception in Houston? I may be there shortly and am a new Sprint user.
  6.    #6  
    Well my Razr 2 V9m has RIDICULOUSLY low battery life, I'm not too worried about battery problems because if I talk for like 45 minutes my phone is beeping and blinking *low battery* (Maybe if the thing didn't use the front screen while in use it'd be better...) Oh and in low battery mode, it conveniently won't load Gmail so if I need to read something or directions for something, it'll shut out immediately, yet I can still make calls. Jeez I can go on about how I've grown to hate this phone.

I really want to upgrade to something and don't want to wait another 2 years. I don't want to spend any money purchasing a new battery for this phone also because I would really like GPS and the GPS capability on this thing is a friggin joke. The only thing "smart" that I can do effectively is look at my email thanks to the Gmail application.

My best friend's brother wanted to trade his touch pro for a Pre and I figured a combination of WinMo, Slow Processor, and questionable build quality might've been a factor lol. I wouldn't see myself buying one.

I think I will take a chance and get the Pre. I see a huge community base here but I just don't want to deal with any odd build quality problems... Especially if I'm paying $200. I had a free LG and a Sanyo Katana II both with stellar quality and were close to free (Katana II was like $30 if I remember)
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    how is sprint reception in Houston? I may be there shortly and am a new Sprint user.
    one of the best if not the best.
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
  8.    #8  
    Yeah I will say over the years Sprint is probably the best. One of my friends had T-Mobile, switched to Verizon, and it was only marginally better. My mom had ATT and it was pretty horrbile. T-mobile wasn't that bad but not as great as Sprint for me.
    When you go to the store, tell them you have read a board about some of the quality issues, and name them. Then tell them you want to be able to check the build when they activate it and that you don't want any bubbles, dead pixels, oreo twist, whatever. When they activate it, check for these issues right there and then. Here is a thread re: what to check for while in the store:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ase-tests.html

Most people who had to exchange weren't expecting to have to look for them, and people who exchanged 3 and 4 times should have realized they really needed to inspect before they left the store. If you check, you will probably be fine.

Yes, BB will let you exchange. Take the free 1 month geek squad protection, and maybe even use it for a month after that as well, in case of any unforeseen hardware issues, like a power button no longer depressing.

smart move to skip the winmo *shudder*
    Last edited by allthewayhome; 06/30/2009 at 10:35 PM.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    I get my new Palm Pre tomorrow! I'm excited!! (Just have to figure out a way to transfer my contacts, since I won't have time to go to a sprint store until this weekend...blah)
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    what phone do you have now? winmo or bb can use google sync to get your contacts.
    If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed.
    ... and equally remarkable is that the day after tomorrow is July 2nd!

Dude, could the thead title have been a little more descriptive. Like the whole world's been waiting for July 1 so you could get a new phone?

PS. Take the plunge. I bought mine at launch. No problems. Love it. They'll have to pry it from my cold dead hands.
    Quote Originally Posted by icecubefosho View Post
    I think I will take a chance and get the Pre. I see a huge community base here but I just don't want to deal with any odd build quality problems... Especially if I'm paying $200. I had a free LG and a Sanyo Katana II both with stellar quality and were close to free (Katana II was like $30 if I remember)
    Don't let the loud complainers scare you away. At the same time, be somewhat picky. Open the box at the store, play with it a little before you leave. Be sure it feels good to you.

BTW, I bought mine on the launch date, and haven't had any problems worth mentioning.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post

PS. Take the plunge. I bought mine at launch. No problems. Love it. They'll have to pry it from my cold dead hands.
    Exactly ditto this.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by neelesh View Post
    I get my new Palm Pre tomorrow! I'm excited!! (Just have to figure out a way to transfer my contacts, since I won't have time to go to a sprint store until this weekend...blah)
    I get mine 2morrow also. My b-day is July 6th and my girlfriend is buying me the pre as my present. She went to one of our local best buys (we have 4) and she found one and theyre holding it for me because my friend's little brother works in the mobile phone department. I'm so excited!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by bobeo6253 View Post
    I get mine 2morrow also. My b-day is July 6th and my girlfriend is buying me the pre as my present. She went to one of our local best buys (we have 4) and she found one and theyre holding it for me because my friend's little brother works in the mobile phone department. I'm so excited!!!
    Pleeeeease remember to check it for issues before you leave the store.
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ase-tests.html
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    I'm not sure I understand the issue. Inspect the phone before having the rep activate it. Look for a gap or wobble in the slider, look for dead/stuck pixels on a solid color screen (the activation screen is almost solid blue and the phone will goto that screen first thing even when not activated), make sure the slide mechanism feels smooth. If the unit is not up to par have them pull out the next unit.
    Store Manager, Authorized Sprint Retailer and Authorized Service Center for Sprint/Nextel devices. Please post inquiries to the "Ask a Sprint rep" sticky on the CDMA North America forum.
    Rocking the Evo Shift 4G till Pre3 lands.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    I just got my Pre. Not at the place where it was being held for me but at a closer Best Buy. They told me they got 9 in last night and they were setting one up for an employee that was working there and i bought mine so they have 7 left. I didn't inspect it because i was so excited but Ive been playing with it and it looks perfect. No dead pixels, it doesn't wobble, no white dots on the bottom of the screen, no bubbles. It's perfect!
  19.    #19  
    So my Best Buy was sold out but my Sprint Store had one.

I tested the slider, its slightly wobbly but after feeling my brother's Samsung phone's slider that also has the very slight wobble, I'm not sure if this is normal for sliders, or a defect. Nevertheless, it doesn't bother me at all and I don't recognize it unless I am forcing it to wobble. Other than that, its perfectly fine.

I'm still exploring it and got the equipment protection plan just in case. I also use my old iPaq case vertical slip case and it works extremely well for it, but its just a bit too large in my pocket and am currently on the hunt for a belt clip now!
    Quote Originally Posted by dmglouis View Post
    Nice! Though, you might have been eligible for it earlier. On the sprint site (many months ago), it said that I was eligible July 1st, but I walked into a sprint store last saturday and imagine my surprise when the rep tells me I'm eligible already! But, in your case, you can't do anything now, so I don't know why I posted this
    Really??? I'm eligible August 1st. I wonder if I could go in earlier and get mine...Especially since I already know I won't be able to get mine that 1st day. I'll have to wait like 3 days after my eligibility date since I'm gonna be so busy.