40 11.33%
  • On the Screen

41 11.61%
  • I have No Cracks.

116 32.86%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I had actually noticed this before but thought it was probably a scratch even though I always kept the phone in the pouch that came with the phone. Scratches do happen on phones but after seeing the video on the front page, I do realize this is probably a crack and it does seem to be growing slightly. I currently have the phone covered by Phantom Skinz have for at least the past two weeks or so. I also have the "oreo" effect which doesn't bother me that much but after thinking this was a normal for a vertical slider phone, I realize this is probably not the case. I bought the phone at Best Buy so I will contact them this week and see if I can exchange the phone when they get their next shipment. Since 7/8 seems to be the day that will happen, that will be after the 30 days so I hope they will still honor the exchange What scares me is that I will get a phone that has these same issues or others people have talked about (gap, dead pixels). Is it possible for me to take this to a Sprint store even though I bought it from Best Buy since it is a warranty issue or am I stuck with BB?
  2.    #2  
    Well I took my phone back to Best Buy. They exchanged it even though they say the crack is a user error and not an issue with the phone so I got a new Pre. Its not perfect as there is still some screen wobble and some gap on the top that seems a little worse than mine although I may be just super sensitive to anything at the moment. I am happy to get rid of the crack in any event which was something that scared me the most becasue it was growing. The other issues didn't effect how the phone worked. It was the only one they had and I can't go to Sprint till after my 30 days are up as far as Palm warranties are concerned. I may do that for the gap and see if they can fix that or get me a new phone but its not that bothersome to me.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    if you arent happy with it dont settle. You should get something your happy with for the money you paid.
    I bought mine at a Sprint store for personal reasons. I hate Best Buy and a lot of the other retailers when it comes to PDAs or phones. Especially smartphones because they get the most abuse as demo models.

Years ago, I walked into a Best Buy to buy a Palm m505, and I got a rep that tried to hard sell me on some Pocket PC device. I walked out. Went back in a few days later, different rep, did the same thing. Different problem, but it shows the attitude and proves a point...they either play favorites, or they get special markup for certain phones. Not always the phones you're looking to buy (usually...not...they're usually phones they have a harder time moving).

A friend of mine several months later bought a Palm m515 from a Best Buy without my advice. She opened the box, and it took about 1 second to realize that they sold her a demo model and didn't tell her. It got a few scratches and some marks on the screen, so they reboxed it and pushed it out to her. I've never gone back to a retailer for a PDA after that. They do crap like that all the time.

I went to a Sprint store, and I made sure to go to one where I knew they didn't do a lot of smartphone volume (you can find these places located in some of the crummier/backwards parts of town). It took me 5 days from the time I got on the waiting list to when I got my Pre, and it's worked flawlessly for me ever since.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Spunky424 View Post
    if you arent happy with it dont settle. You should get something your happy with for the money you paid.
    I don't plan to settle. There are no more phones at BB for me to exchange and my 30 days is up in 4 days. I thought this would be better than having a crack that could grow in case for some reason after the 30 days I had problems exchanging my phone. I will attempt to get another via the Palm warranty through Sprint or Palm.
    I JUST noticed a hair line crack on my pre! This sux. I'm not sure if its worth replacing and modding my pre all over again...most likely it'll get worse. Do you guys wipe your pre b4 replacing it?
    I have the same crack.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Wow, is the Pre really a glacier that melts very slowly? Hairline cracks everywhere...
    I had the same problem. Sprint replaced my Pre with a new handset. No charge. Replacement was not reconditioned, but a brand new phone.

Everyone's Pre should be less than two months old. It's not acceptable for cracks to magically appear on the device. Don't pay a dime for a replacement.

I bought a Touchstone and I'll be avoiding the USB port as much as possible in the future.
    So I went to my sprint store and they told me that the defect was cosmetic and that they would not replace until it affected the screen. I have to admit that the crack is minor and only really visible in direct sunlight...but it can only get worse!

I called up Sprint and they basically said that they would replace it but if they deemed the defect cosmetic...they would charge me 200 bucks. And then they told me to call palm.

Good times.
    if it does get worse than replace it...but if it doesnt mess up the functionality of the phone...who cares!?!?
    The crack on my old Pre was small... started from the USB area and moved forward up to the screen. Don't put up with the Sprint Store's crap and have them exchange it for a new one. My store replaced mine free of charge with a brand new phone.

The crack is only going to get worse.

If they try to charge you, tell them you're going to take your rebate... and the money they want you to pay for a replacement... cancel your contract and walk over to the AT&T store and buy an iPhone.

I can't believe they want to charge you for this. My store rep said it's a common problem with the Pre and they've replaced dozens of them free of charge.

Any twist in the phone will also get you a free replacement at my store. My rep told me the oreo is not supposed to be as severe as it has been for many. Of course, there's supposed to be a little give... but no twist.
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beave4 View Post
    So I went to my sprint store and they told me that the defect was cosmetic and that they would not replace until it affected the screen. I have to admit that the crack is minor and only really visible in direct sunlight...but it can only get worse!

I called up Sprint and they basically said that they would replace it but if they deemed the defect cosmetic...they would charge me 200 bucks. And then they told me to call palm.

Good times.
    Every CSR is different and I assume you were at a Corporate Store.

My advice is to take to a Sprint Repair Facility, if there is one close by. They tend to know how to deal with these problems much better than the Store Personnel.

Good Luck!!
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    I JUST noticed a hair line crack on my pre! This sux. I'm not sure if its worth replacing and modding my pre all over again...most likely it'll get worse. Do you guys wipe your pre b4 replacing it?
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    I have the same crack.
    Can you guys post up pictures of the damage?
    "We must not contradict, but instruct him that contradicts us; for a madman is not cured by another running mad also." - Dr. An Wang
    I had the same, took it back to best buy last sunday, got my $107 refund and a replacement
    I had one on Pre #2. I am now on Pre #4. Many issues. Many issues. Damn good phone though.
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    I took off my case to notice the crack at the charger door. It has spread to the front but stopped before the screen. I can live with it but am afraid it will spread. I purchased my pre from radioshack and its way past 30 days. Am I out of luck?
    It all depends.... DO you have insurance? If so you could pay the $100 deductible or you can stop by the sprint store and see if they will replace it for you. We had the same issue but near the mic. A couple of places told us No, but I asked around and one store said they would look at it and if its minor they will replace it for me w/o the deductible.

Good Luck.
    print out the cracked screen thread and take it into the store with your pre... When they say its your fault show them all the pictures.... Otherwise just pay the deductible, unfortunately when they see a cracked screen/phone they immediately think its your fault.
    <I accidentally the whole pre>

<Palm Pre Speed Test>

Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JDMCivic View Post
    I had the same, took it back to best buy last sunday, got my $107 refund and a replacement
    I just noticed this same hairline crack on mine. I had read about it in an old thread when I was still contemplating getting the phone. The Best Buy $99 mistake is what finally made me pull the trigger on the purchase despite reading about all the problems with hardware. I'm partially regretting not waiting longer or for the next version. It's a damn shame because the phone is very cool (even though some basic apps are worse than my Treo 650....tasks).

Anyway, Best Buy didn't give you any trouble? I've been thinking about taking it in for an exchange, but didn't want the hassle of arguing with them.
Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast