40 11.33%
  • On the Screen

41 11.61%
  • I have No Cracks.

116 32.86%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sudoer View Post
    Great idea. It would be even better if Palm put these on new phone (combined with a nice promotional flyer in the box).
    It would be even better if Palm just fixed the issue. If you put out a faulty device you should take care of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by cnote1287 View Post
    one thing i notice is that the phones that are cracking getnerally dont have the invisishield on them. i have that invisible shield and have yet to have a problem with my phone....maybe get one for ur next phone? (i mean why not....ok the screen 5% less responsive....but if it saves u from a cracked phone then its worth it
    Well this theory is thrown out the window with my Pre. I have had the invisishield on my Pre since I purchased it on release date, well actually after I got my 3rd Pre since I had other HW issues with the first 2. First my charging door broke off, and now i have the crack heading toward the screen and I am going to see what my local Sprint store has to say about it today. I am backing up my USB drive now and will post my findings. And BTW, I only use the USB port on my pre for WOSQI and USB as I have 2 touchstones that I charge my pre on.

Ok, Just got back from my travels in Orange County, went to the first store that Sprint locator directed me too and they couldnt help me, only sales and 30 day returns. I then drove another 15 minutes to a dedicated Repair center. I spoke with the first technician who disappeared and came back 5 minutes later and said that the crack is not covered, I then presented him with the Sprint topic that is referred to in this thread. Note, my screen is not cracked...yet. ..I have the start of it by the USB door, and assume that time will make it spread to the screen. He then went to another locked door and came back 5 minutes later and said they could not do anything unless it was the screen actually cracked. So I guess trying to be proactive on this is not helping the matters. I did speak to him about the Pre and he said he has seen many Pres in the repair shop but not this particular issue as of yet.
    Last edited by mike_pre; 01/31/2010 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Update
    sprint repair center told me the same thing that the cracks in mind were specific to the center ball area and all others were physical damage ... i said bull and printed out the threads in here and on Palm site and the sprint memo that said if there's no signs of physical abuse then any screen crack should be under warranty stuffed that in their face and they replaced mine under warranty last week for the usb screen crack and i am very pleased with the replacement so far .. its a definite issue that should be warranty other than that i love my pre and precentral .. you guys rock
    Quote Originally Posted by flewpastu View Post
    sprint repair center told me the same thing that the cracks in mind were specific to the center ball area and all others were physical damage ... i said bull and printed out the threads in here and on Palm site and the sprint memo that said if there's no signs of physical abuse then any screen crack should be under warranty stuffed that in their face and they replaced mine under warranty last week for the usb screen crack and i am very pleased with the replacement so far .. its a definite issue that should be warranty other than that i love my pre and precentral .. you guys rock
    flew: where was your crack located exactly? Mine starts from the USB connector and travels to the right and towards the bottom the top piece. If I did not have an invisshield on it, it would just fall right off, it is not attached any way/shape or form to the phone anymore....This just goes to show the different responses that customers get at different stores and with different employees. I showed them all the posts as well, and got nowhere, would be nice if they could follow some standard across their stores and not have me driving all over the world to find someone that is understanding of the issue and would replace mine....
    mine went from the bottom of the usb port towards the screen barely .. at first they told me as long as the phone worked they couldnt replace it . i was going to brick it if they didnt replace it but that was a last resort and the replaced it before going that route
    All of these pictures and stories are exactly like my Pre'.

How does Palm expect to have a return customer of they cant acknowledge a manufacturing defect and issue a memo to replace these phones without question?

Operationally I am becoming more and more pleased with my Pre, but hardware is terrible.

AP69
    I seem to be getting some attention to the USB Crack Problem by bombing a lot of Palm on FaceBook threads. This USB Port Crack needs to be a acknowledged manufacturing defect that Palm stands behind before I could ever tell anyone to buy this thing.

HERE IS MY FaceBook Post

Palm, YES, I do hope to derail your happy go lucky conversations on FaceBook to point out to other users or perspective users that there ARE people reaching out to you on your very own forum and do not get recognized as having a legitimate PROBLEM with their PRE!
    A $500 retainer is ridiculous for you to ask in advance to inspect my launch day PRE phone to determine the fact of the matter is that I have babied this thing in my $40 Palm brand leather holster and yet I have a ailing pile of junk to show for it. I have the USB door broken off due to no missuse. I have the Screen Crack USB Port Crack Problem Click on Profile Picture to check it out. Yet never has there been a memo from Palm to its retailers to get these phones replaced ASAP. These are cosmetic issues according to BestBuy.
    I intend on your use of social media to be somewhat less positive until you acknowledge my and other PRE users problems. I Love WebOS and support many Apps, but I think you have a lemon of a manufacturing problem. Your launch was terrible on Sprint with those cosmic girl commercials and word of mouth was generally not great. I have one co-worker who is on Pre #2 (after 4 months) these things are not sturdy and YOU KNOW YOU HAVE A MANUFACTURING DEFECT BY NOW, RIGHT?
    My launch day Pre's digitizer finally stopped working last week. I pretty much knew I was going to have a "hassle" at the Sprint store (even though I could have had the Pre replaced more easily if I complained about the USB crack sooner). Of course, while Best Buy and Sprint conveniently call this a "cosmetic problem", Sprint stores change their tune to "that is user damage" once the crack about 2mm into the screen face caused the digitizer to completely fail (all at once, not intermittently).

I politely asked to speak to the manager (who felt like my Pre had lots of other small scratches). It does, but that's because I didn't use a case or any screen protector on it. It's a phone damn it, and it should be able to survive my pocket! I knew the manager's predicament, so I politely asked for the number to call Palm. He went back and got it for me, and I called Palm from a phone in the Sprint store.

I explained the problem to one person, but then I had to explain the whole thing all over again to his supervisor in order to get the $39 advance exchange "fee" waived.

I made the call on Monday before 6pm, and a replacement Pre (refurbished) arrived on Wednesday (yesterday). The replacement seem to have a very low maximum for the volume (compared with my launch day unit). I have yet to figure out if I can live with this or whether I need to call and ask if the volume can be fixed.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    I can now officially be added to the Cracked Screen by the USB Door club. Grrrrr!!!!
    My Pre developed the USB door crack about 2 weeks ago. I went to a Sprint repair center and was politely told only the center button cracks are accepted as a defect. I was given a phone number to call Palm for a warranty exchange/replacement. I will go back to another Sprint store and try my luck.

(sigh)

Love the Pre, love WebOS, love homebrew, bemoan the device quality.
    - Alan
    Palm III, Palm Vx, Palm TX, Palm Pre (Sprint), Palm Pre3(AT&T/ebay)
    We have 3 Pres that are nine months old with no screen cracks and guess what, InvisbleShield on all 3 of them.
    I will be heading to Verizon on Monday to exchange for my 4th Pre. Here is my rundown of issues:
    Pre #1 - Battery overheated and fried the phone, causing the phone radio to die.
    Pre #2 - Keyboard had double entries for several keys. Hit the key once, output was two entries.
    Pre #3 - My current Pre - Light bleed on left side (sometimes turns a slight yellow), and a defect in the center of the screen, an actual line down the center at a slight angle. It's not a crack, and it is under the surface. You can see it under certain background colors and at a slight angle....weird.
    Pre #4 - Coming on Monday hopefully.

I will change this phone out 20 times until they get it right, because I do love the phone.
    Last edited by chris073; 03/14/2010 at 10:33 AM.
    Ok. I went back to Verizon and got my 4th Pre. I spent time with the employees checking for keyboard issues, screen, everything I have had before. Nothing right off the bat. So, I went home with another new Pre.

Now, here is the best part of this story. My new phone is at OS version 1.3.5.1. All my apps work!!!!! I will not upgrade until the bugs are fixed.

That means Friendsflow will work, and my Touchstone will work properly. Whoo hoooo!!!

Overall, a feel good story. At least I think.
    Last edited by chris073; 03/14/2010 at 03:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    We have 3 Pres that are nine months old with no screen cracks and guess what, InvisbleShield on all 3 of them.
    I read (somewhere in a previous P|C post) that the USB crack might be due to the way the (flimsy/clumsy) "USB door" is opened. (I also did not purchase any touchstone so the USB port was opened one or more times every day.)

On my launch day Pre (replaced last week for USB crack causing digitizer to fail) I used to open the USB door by placing my fingernail under the underside/middle of the door and "flicking it open". I've changed my strategy to "flick from the top" (instead of from the bottom). I'm guessing that my previous method of flicking may have aggravated/stressed the plastic enough to cause the crack.

@netwrkr9, thx - your "InvisbleShield" advice is good! (and I'll one this this time). I suspect that anything that "reinforces" the plastic (even in a minor way) might be enough to prevent the problem. How hard are these to put on? (I guess I'll search for a thread.) I recall the trick was to "use enough water".
    I couldn't take it anymore and went through insurance to get a new Pre. My company paid for it so no big deal.

I am impressed with the refurb I got. Much more polish than my launch Pre. Slider is much better and no cracks! (So far)

Keeping my fingers crossed and making sure I baby the hell out of the usb area.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    I am impressed with the refurb I got. Much more polish than my launch Pre. Slider is much better and no cracks! (So far)
    I'm very happy with the quality of my refurb (from Palm). Initially I thought it had a volume problem, but the next day and ever since it's been fine. The slider was still great on my lauch day phone after 9 months of use.

Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Keeping my fingers crossed and making sure I baby the hell out of the usb area.
    I know what you mean. I'm holding off on the buying a TS (as I don't really want to reward Palm for engineering defects).

It would be cool if someone would market a "retrofit USB cover" that's easy to open/close and does not stress the plastic on the phone.
    I went to two different corporate sprint stores with a crack at the USB port that ahd spread tot he screen. I've had teh Pre since November. Both stores claimed it was user damage and would not replace it under warranty.
    I called Palm and the person said as long as there is no other "wear" or "damge" then the crack they would exchange it as the Pre was still under the one year warranty. I could not get them to wave the advance excahange fee of $30 but could not go without a phone so ponyed up the bucks.

Referbished Pre is fine for now. BTW, Sprint is running a special during March anyone can pick up the $7 a month insurance on any phone no matter how long they have it during March. SO I picked up the insurance, first time I've ever paid for insurance on a phone ever. I've never lost a phone or damaged a phone that I would have had to use it. This upsets me and though I love Web-OS I won't be recomending a Pre anytime soon.
    My replacement Pre should be arriving @ BestBuy tomorrow. This is to fix the USB port crack.

Glad to be getting a replacement but it sure took a awful lot of begging and complaining to get it.

AP69
    My launch day pre had an invisible shield on it and never had any cracks. After a replacement due to power button issues I never put a screen protector on the replacement. My replacement has now developed the crack stemming from the usb port and is slowly heading towards the screen.
    My launch day Pre now has the USB crack, and it heads north to the edge of the screen. I want to replace it before it gets worse. Is there a link to the Sprint memo mentioned above, so I can print it out to take with me when I visit the Sprint service center?
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast