• Someplace else on the Body

40 11.33%
  • On the Screen

41 11.61%
  • I have No Cracks.

116 32.86%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
    Palm needs to move the USB port on the next generation Pre to the bottom of the phone, the current location creates a weak point in the front cover architecture so when stress is applied to the cover it has a tendency to crack there.
    [QUOTE=When you do find the Palm support contact number, pick option 2. (I would find it and post it here, but then I'd be taking the fun out of it for you [/QUOTE]

awwwww your so kind thx
    Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Palm needs to move the USB port on the next generation Pre to the bottom of the phone, the current location creates a weak point in the front cover architecture so when stress is applied to the cover it has a tendency to crack there.
    They must have done it to get people to buy the touchstone because it is a pain the ***.

I don't even keep mine fully closed just because it's a pain to open. Also when you have the USB cable plugged since it is on the SIDE I've accidentally almost flung my phone off my desk a few times, luckily I have the reflexes of a cat.

BTW When I called Palm about my LCD leakage issue, they offered me an advanced swap type deal. It was what someone described above, but a bit different from what the rep explained to me. Basically they put a $400 hold on an account, send you a refurb Pre for $30. You keep that refurb Pre, but once you receive it you send yours back and you're done, after they receive your Pre they will take the hold off of the account.

If I can't get mine replaced from Sprint this weekend I am going to shell out the 30 and take that approach.
    check this out...

Support - Article
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    As awkward as it is, the port is at the thickest point of the phone. With the slider and battery cover, I can't see how they could put it anyplace else.
    maybe they could have put the headset jack on the side and the charger on the top
    since they got rid of the bottom button on the Plus, they should put the charging port there.
    maybe put it at same location just on the bottom portion of the phone and not on the top slider where it closely approximates the screen
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    since they got rid of the bottom button on the Plus, they should put the charging port there.
    Right in the middle of they keyboard?
    I posted this pic in another thread in early December.

As you can see it didn't hit the screen....yet.

This is what it looks like now..

I have also have this small crack near the mic hole coming up from the bottom of the case.

We need more pics from everyone who has this crack. If we can show enough are coming from the exact same spot that should be enough to show a manufacture defect.

I don't think this is going to happen to every Pre. My buddy got a Pre with me on launch day and his is perfect. It probably has to do with the sourcing of the plastic used.

Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    What started as a crack near on of the edges of my Pre broken off so that there's a chunk missing off the edge of it. Sorta sad because of it, but it's not that much of a deal, and doesn't affect the usage of my Pre. Wish it weren't there though...
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrowland View Post
    I had one on Pre #2. I am now on Pre #4. Many issues. Many issues. Damn good phone though.
    4th phone but you still claim it is a damn good phone?

Where I sit return more then once indicates phone is crap.
    Since my crack is getting really bad of late, I am going to pull the "If you can't replace my Pre I am canceling my contract" card. Since Sprint changed their contract rules I can kill my contract at any time now.

I think that might push them in the right direction.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Since my crack is getting really bad of late, I am going to pull the "If you can't replace my Pre I am canceling my contract" card. Since Sprint changed their contract rules I can kill my contract at any time now.

I think that might push them in the right direction.
    When did they change their contract rules? I got my 1st pre in July, exchanged it 2 weeks later for slider separation wide enough to put a penny into. Not my current pre has the USB crack and air bubbles former between the screen layers. I really like this phone but it is too fragile. The HTC phone is way solid, but then again I don't like the OS.
    I have a crack heading from the corner of the USB door up toward the screen. At first I thought it was just a scratch or something. It's now turning the corner and headed to the screen.
    Cross-posted to Sprint and Palm forums:

Palm WebOS Phones:Cracked screen, broken charger port...

Pre - Usb Door Cracks - PreCentral Poll - webOS Hardware - Palm Support Community

Purchased / activated 9/9/09
    4 months later the USB port door crack appears (no drops or abuse)

Sprint repair store says no dice -- only the LED button cracks are replacable under warranty. All other cracks won't be fixed (didn't know about the Sprint Customer Care website (see below) which does not distinguish between different types of cracks -- so I'm going to try another location later today and show them that post. Thanks.

Support - Article

If the screen on your Palm® Pre™ did not crack as a result of abuse, please visit the nearest Sprint Service & Repair Center for a warranty exchange.

Meanwhile sprint store #1 told me to call Palm. After speaking with an off-shore warranty rep (PALM - not Sprint) and assuring them that this was not abuse, they agreed to "Repair" it -- which I highly doubt - They'll almost certainly send a refurb. Only catch was I'd need to send my phone in with a 7-10 day replacement window. Who the **** can do that. I'm a business professional and my phone is my life. Whatever happened to the approach which allowed us to receive a refurb by mail and return the original?
    I had two cracks on my Pre. One from the USB port and one in almost the exact same place on the opposite side of the phone. I lived with it for a few months and finally last Sunday I took the phone into the Sprint store. They ordered a replacement for me no questions asked. I highly recommend people go to the Sprint store and get a replacement if they have the crack. I would mention to them in addition to the crack that your touchscreen goes in and out from time to time. The Sprint rep who helped me said that is pretty common for people who have the crack. The replacement is a lot more sturdy then my original Pre, slider is a lot tighter and no Oreo effect at this point.
    one thing i notice is that the phones that are cracking getnerally dont have the invisishield on them. i have that invisible shield and have yet to have a problem with my phone....maybe get one for ur next phone? (i mean why not....ok the screen 5% less responsive....but if it saves u from a cracked phone then its worth it
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by cnote1287 View Post
    one thing i notice is that the phones that are cracking getnerally dont have the invisishield on them. i have that invisible shield and have yet to have a problem with my phone....maybe get one for ur next phone? (i mean why not....ok the screen 5% less responsive....but if it saves u from a cracked phone then its worth it
    Great idea. It would be even better if Palm put these on new phone (combined with a nice promotional flyer in the box).
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast