40 11.33%
  • On the Screen

41 11.61%
  • I have No Cracks.

116 32.86%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    mods -
    if you do not wish to post on the site or wish to alter it that is fine. feel we need to get a handle on just how many pre owners are having stress cracks by the usb port (top part of phone) on their pre. Suggest anyone wishing to post information follow the format below and limit information posted to just the areas listed to allow others to quickly read and see results.

Information request:
    1. when did the usb port stress crack appear?
    2. what steps did you take to resolve issue (call sprint, go to store)?
    3. how was issue resolved?
    4. did it cost you anything to resolve issue?
    5. if you have a photo of the stress crack please post.
    1. happen last wednesday (12/2/09) on my 2nd pre phone (received on 29th day, probably 1 to 2 weeks after pre came out +29 days is when I got 2nd phone). a bit of plastic on the side of the housing fell off and then saw the stress crack. my 2nd phone had the oreo effect when received.

2. went to sprint corporate store and was told it was not a defect and would have to go through the insurance company and pay $100

3. call sprint 800 number and explained I never had any cracked phone issues with any of my treo phones prior. sprint agreed to send replacement phone out (called saturday and it arrived monday 12/7). replacment does not have oreo effect.

4. was told I would be given $75 discount on next bill (yet to be confirmed)

5. photo

Last edited by motor; 12/08/2009 at 08:14 PM.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    it started a few weeks ago. i have done nothing yet. when it affects the function of the screen i will expect a replacement unit. since its a mfg defect, i will expect a free replacement
    1. 1 week after receiving refurbed pre
    2. Call Sprint and Palm
    3. No resolution, I'm living with it until it worsens.
    4. --
    5. http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ou-decide.html
    Old photo...the crack has grown a few millimeters.

It happened to my wife's pre about a month ago after she had it for a couple of months. Have not done anything yet as phone is still working.
    there are several old posts in the forums with pictures in regards to this issue. the stress crack is pretty much always at the bottom, i think where it stems from is removing your usb door by pulling too near to the bottom instead of the top. mine developed it after the first week or so of opening the usb door a few times. don't have a picture, took phone back to best buy as it was in the first 30 days of having the phone, returned no questions asked.
    Mine did the same. Here is what I did. Printing this forum. Also did a google search "Palm Pre stress crack" and got some other sites posts. Booked my appointment at my local Sprint store. Asked for a replacement phone free of charge. They said "NO" you have to pay $100, this is not considered a manufacturer defect and is damage. I stopped, slowed down my speech and told the Sprint rep very carefully, "This is a manufacturer defect, here is printed out pictures and posts from hundreds of Palm Pre users with the same problem." I also told the rep to google search it him self and there is no way that I will pay a $100. He proceeded to say "NO". I then repeated myself and asked for a manager. The manager oked the replacement free of charge.

Don't take NO for an answer. Print the forums and take them in to your local sprint store and demand a free phone. If they continue to say NO, demand that they call Palm while you are waiting. There is no way you should walk out of the store paying for a new phone from this ridiculous defect.
    I noticed it today (but I'm pretty sure it's been there for a while).
    2. what steps did you take to resolve issue (call sprint, go to store)?
    Went to Sprint store for power button and erratic digitizer, but
    didn't mention the USB hairline crack.
    (USB door has been "went missing" about 2 months ago
    so I'm not sure the door pulling on the area had any effect.)
    3. how was issue resolved?
    I'll wait and see if it spreads further or causes digitizer problems.
    4. did it cost you anything to resolve issue?
    (Not yet.) I'll update this later if I learn more.
    5. if you have a photo of the stress crack please post.
    Mine is about the same as the one in post #4 (maybe a little worse - about 1/2 mm onto the non-black face of the screen itself)
    - I'm sometimes getting erratic digitizer operation, but I'm not sure if this is due to the screen crack or due to some errant software TBDTBDTBD: ($MyTether$ $USB$ $mode$ $with$ $WiFi$ $as$ $data$ $source$ $seems$ $to$ $have$ $aggravated$ $it$ - $but$ $it$ $might$ $just$ $be$ $that$ $plugging$ $and$ $unplugging$ $the$ $USB$ $cable$ $caused$ $the$ $crack$ $to$ $spread$ $into$ $the$ $screen$ $itself$.)
    - Followup to the comment on erratic digitizer: After another month or so, the erratic issue seems to have been due to MyTether rather than the USB crack. When I don't use MyTether to access my home wifi network, the erratic behavior issue disappears.
    Last edited by sudoer; 01/01/2010 at 01:42 PM.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    1. 12/11/2009. Have recently been using usb to quickinstall and testing out mytether and trasnfering music. Before, only used charging dock.
    2. Nothing yet. Very minimal, about 1.5mm and havent affected performance/activity.
    3. NA
    4. NA
    5. Soon.
    My crack started near month 3. USB port, near middle. It now is about 1 cm long.

If I have Sprint insurance, do I still pay $100?
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    I think the first piece of useful information we want to determine is whether the stress crack grows beyond the way it looks in post #4, and whether the crack is truly "cosmetic" as Sprint and/or Palm seem to indicate - or whether the crack eventually affects the operation of the digitizer or the LCD screen itself.
    - Followup: So far, the small screen crack appears to be remaining just a cosmetic issue. (I'm curious if "wetting" the crack might aggravate digitizer issues and I haven't done any experiments along this line, but (as per my comment earlier in this thread) I don't think the crack is affecting the screen digitizer.)
    Last edited by sudoer; 01/01/2010 at 01:46 PM.
    I too took a pre back due to the stress crack. But I learned how to work the system. I never mentioned the issue at hand. I just stated my phone was randomly restarting and I had grown tired of it. Might sound shady but I DID NOT cause the crack and was not going to pay 100.00.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boggs3010 View Post
    I too took a pre back due to the stress crack. But I learned how to work the system. I never mentioned the issue at hand. I just stated my phone was randomly restarting and I had grown tired of it. Might sound shady but I DID NOT cause the crack and was not going to pay 100.00.
    That's the approach I took yesterday (and that I'll continue to take). If/once I can determine that the stress crack is affecting functionality, I'll use the functional argument then).

Regarding random restarts, do you mean shutdown and reboots, or lack of power (which necessitates a reboot)? I think the later would have nothing to do with a stress crack but the former might (ie: to many digitizer outputs causing the phone to become overloaded to the point a reboot is necessary). I'm just "thinking aloud" here (and stating a potential hypothesis). I think we have to make more observations before we can be sure this is a good/valid hypothesis.
    Information request:
    The crack appeared about 3 or 4 weeks ago (beginning of December; Pre was purch June 11)

2. what steps did you take to resolve issue (call sprint, go to store)? None yet; keeping an eye on it; function is not affected; also watching "the twist" which, though minor, is becoming more pronounced

3. how was issue resolved? none attempted yet; my approach, should the crack or twist affect performance in the first 12 months will be to have it replaced as a manufacturers defect. (phone is always in case, hand, or on touchstone, including touchstone in car; rarely do I use a the USB to charge; occasionally I will use the USB port for data

4. did it cost you anything to resolve issue? none yet; none anticipated; I expect Sprint to honor the 1 yr manufacturer's warranty should this affect performance during that time

5. if you have a photo of the stress crack please post. attached
    Attached Images Attached Images
    i thought i was one of the lucky ones. i had a perfectly built pre. i had little to no oreo effect and have had not a single problem with the phone. i was originally going to contact palm to get a new usb door as it kept falling out but about 2 days ago a small crack appeared by the usb door (common defect???) so i chatted with palm today....this is what they said...

12:50 PM Connecting to Rescue Gateway: control.app10.logmeinrescue.com...
    12:50 PM Connected to Rescue Gateway. A support representative will be with you shortly.
    12:52 PM Support session established with Rafter.

12:52 PM Rafter: Hello David.
    12:52 PM Rafter: Thank you for contacting Palm, this is Rafter.
    12:52 PM David Woodard: hi
    12:52 PM Rafter: I understand that your phone cracked at the USB door.
    12:53 PM Rafter: Am I correct?
    12:53 PM David Woodard: yes
    12:53 PM Rafter: Thank you for the confirmation.
    12:53 PM Rafter: I can help you with the issue.
    12:53 PM David Woodard: ok
    12:54 PM Rafter: Could you let me know when exactly have you purchased the device?
    12:54 PM David Woodard: back in august
    12:54 PM Rafter: Okay.
    12:54 PM Rafter: Thank you for that information.
    12:54 PM Rafter: How did the screen crack exactly happened?
    12:57 PM David Woodard: the screen hasnt cracked yet...but im sure it will.....im going to assume the crack happened by the usb door from taking the phone in and out of my pocket.....i just noticed it 2 days ago...i have never dropped my phone...and from what i read on the internet my phone was very solid compared to other palm pres. i had no oreo effect and there was not one thing wrong with my phone which makes me mad cuz i know my new pre wont be the same. and will i be getting a new pre or a refurb.
    12:57 PM Rafter: Please give me three minutes while I work on this issue.
    12:57 PM David Woodard: k
    1:00 PM Rafter: Thank you for staying on hold.
    1:01 PM David Woodard: your welcome
    1:02 PM Rafter: Not to worry, I will go ahead and process a service repair order for you. But you will get a refurbished device which will be under good condition.
    1:02 PM Rafter: Here are the repair options :
    1:02 PM Rafter: The advance exchange option is $29.95 USD. Within 3-5 business days after you submit an advance exchange request, Palm sends you a refurbished device along with instructions on how to ship the faulty device back to us. This way, you won’t be
    without a device.
    1:02 PM Rafter: Since this seems to be a hardware issue, I am going to tell you about our repair options:

Repair return: After I create your service repair order, you receive an email with the details on how and where to ship your device for repair. The email also contains info on the follow-up process. After the repair center receives your device, you’ll receive a working device in another 5-7 business days.

NOTE : The device you receive back might not be your original device; the repair center makes this decision based on the defect, availability, and the repair timeframe.
    1:03 PM Rafter: Would you like to go with Advance Exchange or repair & Return?
    1:03 PM David Woodard: why must i pay for something that is a common defect for this phone. palm is the one that said this a common defect of the phone
    1:04 PM Rafter: The cost is only for the Advance Exchange process.
    1:04 PM David Woodard: but it shouldnt cost me anything
    1:05 PM Rafter: But if you go for advance Exchange Palm will in turn send you working device this way you will not be without a device.
    1:05 PM Rafter: But for the Repair & Return process there is only shipping charges included when you send the defective device to Palm and it takes 5-7 business days.
    1:06 PM Rafter: Shall we proceed with Repair & Return process?
    1:06 PM David Woodard: im going back to at&t this as a bunch of crap
    1:07 PM Rafter: I’m sorry for any trouble this may have caused.
    1:07 PM Rafter: But you will get a refurbished device which will be in good condition.
    1:08 PM David Woodard: thats fine. but i shouldnt have to pay for something thats not my fault. its a common defect of the phone. so it should be replaced for free
    1:08 PM Rafter: I can understand your concern.
    1:09 PM Rafter: The cost is only for the Advance Exchange process.
    1:10 PM David Woodard: im not concerned palm should be concerned with people getting rid of their pre cuz the build quality is crappy. i was one of the lucky ones with a perfectly built pre. i want a refurb pre and i want it now and i will not pay a dime for it
    1:11 PM Rafter: Okay.
    1:11 PM Rafter: Well there are only two options in order to replace your device.
    1:12 PM Rafter: It is Repair and Return and other is Advanced exchange.
    1:12 PM David Woodard: i want advanced exchange....but im not gonna pay for it. thats a bunch of crap
    1:12 PM Rafter: Okay.
    1:13 PM Rafter: Contact our phone support and they will let you know the complete details about the Advanced Exchange. They will help you in processing the Advanced Exchange.
    1:13 PM Rafter: Shall I provide their phone number to you?
    1:13 PM David Woodard: yes
    1:13 PM Rafter: You can contact our Phone Voice Support team at: 877-426-3777. Support is available Mon-Fri from 6:00 AM PST to 8:00 PM PST and Sat-Sun from 8:00 AM PST to 5:00 PM PST.

1:13 PM Rafter: Thank you for your patience and understanding.
    1:14 PM David Woodard: k thanks
    1:14 PM Rafter: Here’s the reference number for our chat: Chat session ID number# 46967154. Keep this number as a record of this chat, and if you need to call our Voice Support team or contact us again for this same issue, please refer to this number.
    1:14 PM Rafter: Is there anything else I can assist you with today?
    1:14 PM David Woodard: no thank you
    1:14 PM Rafter: Thank you for contacting Palm Technical Support. A customer survey will pop up once the chat ends. Please feel free to contact us for further assistance.

i thought it was a bunch of crap how palm was going to charge me to replace my phone when the crack is their fault. i know im not the only one with the cracking issue. ive had my pre since early august with a build date of july 31 2009. i would never really switch to at&t....i was just trying to hit him where it hurts...haha.....in the end my phone gets exchanged for free
    Last edited by david7598; 01/02/2010 at 01:27 PM. Reason: spelling mistakes
    Quote Originally Posted by david7598 View Post
    i thought it was a bunch of crap how palm was going to charge me to replace my phone when the crack is their fault.
    cause Palm came to your house and personally cracked your phone.
    i know im not the only one with the cracking issue.
    no, youre most certainly not the first person to have a cosmetic issue with this or any other phone.

ive had my pre since early august with a build date of july 31 2009.
    cookie. you earned it.

i would never really switch to at&t....
    so youre a liar.

i was just trying to hit him where it hurts...haha.....
    yeah, that customer service rep would have a hard time sleeping if you left for AT&T. Sprint would probably also miss you as a customer....with your ~$70 a month you're making them. not to mention the fact that you like to leach a free phone off them.

in the end my phone gets exchanged for free
    2 cookies. you earned them both.
    if the phone is cracking in the same spot on the phone for a bunch of people it would be palms fault....they built the phone....its their crappy build quality....
    lol chud. i hope your usb door cracks too
    God makes the earth yield healing herbs which the prudent man should not neglect;
    Quote Originally Posted by mojuice View Post
    lol chud. i hope your usb door cracks too
    lololololololololololol

if it does and the phone still works, fine by me.

you wont catch me lying and making empty threats over 30 dollars.

his mirror is probably scratched too. FREE EXCHANGE!
    Quote Originally Posted by david7598 View Post
    if the phone is cracking in the same spot on the phone for a bunch of people it would be palms fault....they built the phone....its their crappy build quality....
    a bunch? define a bunch.