View Poll Results: Do you want a car holder to hold the Pre in the open or closed position?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Open

25 32.05%
  • Closed

53 67.95%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Since Palm out thought itself in designing this thing, the curved slider doesn't allow ProClip to make a holder that will hold it securely while open and closed, so you have a choice. Do you want to see a car holder hold it in the open or closed position?

Closed, and you use the touchscreen for everything unless you pop it out of the holder.

Open so the keyboard is somewhat usable while the phone is in the holder.

I haven't gotten feedback on inductive charging yet, but they did buy a Touchstone to see if they could do it. Will keep everyone posted on that.

And mods, I want this poll to get as much visibility as possible so can it be left in the main forum?
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    Do you work for proclip???
    Whats the ETA on the Pre Clip? I voted for closed, reason being that space is already at a premium in most cars, having it extended would limit where the phone could be placed.
    And a Touchstone/Proclip pre combo would be awesome!!!
    I want one close, but that will still let the phone be easily taken out if I need to type on it.
    I just bought a generic windshield holder from best buy and it keeps it closed but all I have to do is hit a small button to release the phone if I need to type on it. I can see it would be a bit hard to make a open holder for it.
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    ugghh, i refuse to use windhsheild mounts
    I can open, close and even type on the keyboard using my Touchstone. Because the keyboard side is stuck to the magnets, this is not bad at all. Essentially, you're sliding the screen upward.
    Don't text and drive
    Quote Originally Posted by IMethos View Post
    ugghh, i refuse to use windhsheild mounts
    I love my windshield mount. In my car it's the best way to have the phone in front of me while I'm driving yet I can still watch the road.

In regards to open or close, if I need to type I take it out of the holder and type one-handed, something I couldn't do with my Instinct, so closed works fine for me.
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    Agreed, if you need to type/query anything on the pre while driving and its in the holder then your just asking for trouble. Vote closed people so Proclip can get to making this thing a reality!!
    Would be nice if it could holdthe phone in both ways. Make it in a way that it would hold the phone in a closed position and slide it open when needed while still on the mount/charger
    I had to slide it open to type the initials of a contact I wanted to dial. Voice dialing would be nice.
    I want a touchstone designed specifically for vehicles.

Think Jello mold for the Pre, with the magnet flush.

Closed, although the design I have in mind would provide the stability necessary to type while open, without it sliding off the TS.

I just would prefer to grab it off the TS and use it. Then replace and charge.
    if you are using navigation you have to have the keyboard accessible to search for things along the route enter new locations etc. I use my pre heavily in the car with a generic window mount. Until there is an onscreen keyboard the keyboard has to be open, end of story.
    Like many, I sometimes text while driving. Not advisable. Focusing and typing on the "dash" while texting? Even less so. The story continues...
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RanGT View Post
    Don't text and drive
    Agreed. In most states its already illegal.

I voted closed. No need to txt and drive at the same time. And if you think otherwise, feel free to watch this:
  16.    #16  
    My thoughts were closed, but I thought I'd get everyone's opinion first.

I'm a reseller for proclip (on a small scale). But I helped design and get them involved in holsters years' back with the i500 and other early smartphones before Seidio and the injection molders got into them.

I'll let this go another day and probably just tell him closed.

Personally I'd just like to see an adjustable like the iphone one but padded and narrower. Would do the job nicely and have you ready for the Pre2 or whatever your next phone is.
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    My thoughts were closed, but I thought I'd get everyone's opinion first.

I'm a reseller for proclip (on a small scale). But I helped design and get them involved in holsters years' back with the i500 and other early smartphones before Seidio and the injection molders got into them.

I'll let this go another day and probably just tell him closed.

Personally I'd just like to see an adjustable like the iphone one but padded and narrower. Would do the job nicely and have you ready for the Pre2 or whatever your next phone is.
    Nice. I've been all over these forums waiting for these mounts. btw where in philly you from. Ne philly here.
    If the holder comes set up for only open....how are you going to defend to the cop that pulled you over, that it was not open.

i do see the issue with sprint nav. but same issue, don't text address while driving. set it up before.
    Personally, I don't really like the idea of it being only stuck in the one position regardless.

But anyway, even making a phone call will be made a million times more difficult without access to the keyboard. And don't tell me that nobody here has ever wanted to dial out for a phone call while driving.

Seriously though, if it's stuck closed you'd have to use the on-screen keyboard, or scroll through all of your contacts. If it had to be one, I'd think open would be the only way that would make it usable myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by pathymo View Post
    Agreed. In most states its already illegal.

I voted closed. No need to txt and drive at the same time. And if you think otherwise, feel free to watch this:
    I'm glad nobody was seriously injured in that crash because I cant stop laughing at the ***** busdriver.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast