View Poll Results: Do you want a car holder to hold the Pre in the open or closed position?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Open

25 32.05%
  • Closed

53 67.95%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Well blame Palm for making the slider curved. If they made a straight slider it wouldn't be as much of an issue, and you probably wouldn't have such a recess on the keyboard as well (I believe).

So the voting is a bit close to make a determination at the moment. Will let it go a little longer before getting back to them. A couple of days won't hurt. Guess this is where a soft keyboard would be a tremendous help.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Personally, I don't really like the idea of it being only stuck in the one position regardless.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Excuse my arrogance, because I do not have a pre nor a touchstone nor a ProClip mount, but the Pre and touchstone are held together with a magnet correct? If so, then why not employ a similar system for the ProClip. A combination of a magnet and holder maybe? You would be keeping the keyboard in place and sliding the screen up correct?

Also using some sort of foam padding on the sides seem like it would adjust to the curved sides of the Pre.

Then my second question is, how easy is it to hit the little buttons on the Pre while its mounted on the dash while hitting potholes? I would think the only effective way to type anything on it is bracing it in your hand and using your thumb to hit the keys (talking about one handed typing of course). I have trouble hitting the buttons on the screen of my GPS sometimes while moving and that thing has buttons that are relatively large.
    I vote closed. As much as I would love to see an open holder to enter directions etc. into nav, most people will have the screen perpendicular to the ground so they can see the screen (obviously). The constant bumps/turns and general roughness of vehicles on the road (save for the lucky folks with bmw/merc/cadillac etc.) such as pick ups, work vans/trucks, jeeps, modified cars etc. could be too much for the slider. I'd rather not chance it. Plus, God forbid you were in an accident, the phone is in it's weakest state. At least with the phone closed you can answer calls, read texts/emails, see nav, adjust pandora etc. you will just need to physically pick up the phone to respond to an email/text. I would rather have the "inconvenience" of having to reach 3 feet to answer an alert, than having my slider/phone break from bouncing around all the time while open.
  4.    #24  
    arrogance or ignorance?

You can't make the assumption that everyone is going to buy the magnetic back. Not that you want to alienate them because making something to take advantage of induction charging would be nice. I already mentioned using a magnetic cradle of some sort. Can't always get them to think outside the box.

I think anyone that is driving and trying to type on the Pre while it's mouinted is just asking for trouble. One thing to hit a buitton or two to dial a #, but to try and respond to a text is something else. When i'm going to type something, I always hold the phone by the upper side of the steering wheel. I'll have it further down if I'm at a light. But to leave it in the cradle to type a message is just asking for trouble as is just typing a msg in general while driving.
    Quote Originally Posted by zhackwyatt View Post
    Excuse my arrogance, because I do not have a pre nor a touchstone nor a ProClip mount, but the Pre and touchstone are held together with a magnet correct? If so, then why not employ a similar system for the ProClip. A combination of a magnet and holder maybe? You would be keeping the keyboard in place and sliding the screen up correct?

Also using some sort of foam padding on the sides seem like it would adjust to the curved sides of the Pre.

Then my second question is, how easy is it to hit the little buttons on the Pre while its mounted on the dash while hitting potholes? I would think the only effective way to type anything on it is bracing it in your hand and using your thumb to hit the keys (talking about one handed typing of course). I have trouble hitting the buttons on the screen of my GPS sometimes while moving and that thing has buttons that are relatively large.
    Last edited by crogs571; 07/01/2009 at 07:17 AM.
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    I think the verdict is in....closed all the way
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Centro85 View Post
    I vote closed. As much as I would love to see an open holder to enter directions etc. into nav, most people will have the screen perpendicular to the ground so they can see the screen (obviously). The constant bumps/turns and general roughness of vehicles on the road (save for the lucky folks with bmw/merc/cadillac etc.) such as pick ups, work vans/trucks, jeeps, modified cars etc. could be too much for the slider. I'd rather not chance it. Plus, God forbid you were in an accident, the phone is in it's weakest state. At least with the phone closed you can answer calls, read texts/emails, see nav, adjust pandora etc. you will just need to physically pick up the phone to respond to an email/text. I would rather have the "inconvenience" of having to reach 3 feet to answer an alert, than having my slider/phone break from bouncing around all the time while open.
    Wait.... God forbid you're in an accident, and you're worried about the PHONE? Something is wrong here..... aaaaaaand this is the reason its illegal in most states to txt while driving......
  7.    #27  
    Yeah, I emailed them late this morning and said closed seems logical at this moment. Get that one out the door at least. I hope they look at my magnetic idea. Even if you don't have a touchstone, the magnetic back gives so much flexibility. Heckm you could just stick a metal plate onto a proclip mount or tilt swivel and call it a day if it truly is that sturdy. But a charging cord might have a little pull to it. Won't know about anything magnetic or touchstone based asthey just ordered the touchstone kit last week, and it's going to Sweden.
    Just use the Proclip mount and attach a Touchstone to it. That's what I am planning to do!

Open enough to type a quick reply at a stoplight or input the address of a destination into Sprint Navi or Google Maps.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    arrogance or ignorance?

You can't make the assumption that everyone is going to buy the magnetic back. Not that you want to alienate them because making something to take advantage of induction charging would be nice. I already mentioned using a magnetic cradle of some sort. Can't always get them to think outside the box.

I think anyone that is driving and trying to type on the Pre while it's mouinted is just asking for trouble. One thing to hit a buitton or two to dial a #, but to try and respond to a text is something else. When i'm going to type something, I always hold the phone by the upper side of the steering wheel. I'll have it further down if I'm at a light. But to leave it in the cradle to type a message is just asking for trouble as is just typing a msg in general while driving.
    Lol, ignorance. I guess I was half asleep when I wrote that up.

That was the point I was trying to make in my second paragraph. It seems almost impossible hitting the buttons in a mounted situation.
  10.    #30  
    Just an fyi, ProClip has almost finished the standard holder, and yes, it will be in the closed position. So hopefully it'll be in stock within the next couple weeks. Hoping they'll send me a sample so I can take pics, but I'm sure they'll have pics soon enough. Will keep you posted as to availability.

They are also working on a magnetic version. I gave them some ideas so that it'll hold the Pre in portrait and landscape as well as allow for the slider to open. Figure if it's in a shallow groove and up against a magnetic base, the slider should open easily while keeping the phone in place. And if you wanted it in landscape you just slide it out of the cradle and place it on the lip that will be concave to the shape of the side of the Pre with the magnetic locking it in place.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    My late night brainstorm is for ProClip, or anybody else, to design a vehicle holder which will utilize the current Touchstone. The TS would slide in behind the holder and be flush with the back. Maybe even add some extra magnets for the bottom of the Pre, if possible. Look how your Pre sits on the TS now. It looks like there is room. The holder will have sides to it, to provide more security (TS alone in my bouncy bigtruck was no go).

I don't know the resources of ProClip or other accessory manufacturers, but they may not include inductive technology. This would make it doable now.
    Last edited by galavanter; 07/12/2009 at 05:35 AM.
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    I actually use a bracketron windshield mount to hold the TS.
    Amazon.com: Bracketron UFM-200-BL Dash-Mat Universal Device Holder (Black): Electronics

Holds it both ways. Holds it securely. Doesn't move. Works great.
    Late to the party here but seems to me that closed is better and better is defined as safer. Because of battery life issues (imagine running Pandora, SprintNav, bluetooth, AND getting a phone cal!!) either having a induction charger or as one person suggested, a mount that allows for the Touchstone to be integrated into the mount, gives us the option and is most cost effective!
    In the meantime if anyone already has a Treo 650 ProClip the Pre fits in their wonderfully...seriously it's really snug. I threw my Pre in there on a whim and it was perfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by tennenho View Post
    Amazon.com: Bracketron UFM-200-BL Dash-Mat Universal Device Holder (Black): Electronics

Holds it both ways. Holds it securely. Doesn't move. Works great.
    It looks like it would hold it both ways, but would you be able to charge it while mounted? It looks like the grips would cover the micro-USB port.
    Open
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    Does the holder have side access for charging?
    I'm also surprised Pro-Clip didn't have this ready at launch.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12