View Poll Results: On screen keyboard?

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES! It is the one thing I am waiting for!

22 11.46%
  • I would use it frequently

56 29.17%
  • Occasionally for short SMS.

55 28.65%
  • I would use it exclusively.

2 1.04%
  • I would test this out before commiting.

15 7.81%
  • No on screen for me! Just the slider.

42 21.88%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Am I the only one just dying for an on screen keyboard? I feel, despite what others day, that the Pre's touchscreen is pretty accurate and would suite an on screen keyboard quite well.

I am what you would call a "power-texter" and for those quick messages I send the slide out keyboard is more of a hassle than it should be. I don't mind the physical keyboard but an on screen would be extremely helpful in certain situations.

So I here I sit just under a week until my 30 days are up and I feel completely undecided towards the Pre as a whole. All other issues (especially HW) aside I feel that if I had signs of an on screen keyboard being possible that this would be plenty to keep me with the Pre and away from the BB's I use to use.

So I ask you this.. How important is an on screen keyboard to you?
    Personally I have no desire for this but nothing against you if you want it.
    The reason I want an onscreen keyboard most is that it means Palm would have a decent auto-correct. I'm coming from a Samsung Glyde, which put the backspace on the top row, next to the 'P', and I'm constantly hitting one button to the left of what I want because it's in the second row(as it should be).

If you're a power texter, just leave the keyboard out, then you don't have to slide it open.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    I think that an on screen keyboard would only add to the device. It would be very useful when browsing in landscape mode, etc., as well as for short little things when you don't want to slide the keyboard out. After all, it's a simple matter to make it optional, or make it only appear when in landscape mode, etc., and those who don't want it wouldn't ever have to use it! It's a win-win situation. I hope they include one in WebOS 2.0 or whatever. I don't expect it in a minor patch.
  5. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    I would not like this to be a feature on this phone. A qwerty virtual keyboard in either portrait or landscape would be redundant.

The amount of effort it would take to reveal the useful hardware keypad, and the amount of effort it would take to bring up the cramped and ineffective virtual keyboard would be about the same. In landscape? I think the same argument applies.
  6.    #6  
    Funny because I often do leave it open! Especially during any lengthy conversation. I think my slider has been opened close to 8,000 times in a week and a half since I received this replacement.

The question is though that I believe Palm made a statement somewhere once that it would not limit any 3rd party developer from making an on screen keyboard? I may be completely wrong but I thought that I had read this somewhere. So is it possible for those with the WebOS sdk to develop things such as on screen keyboards? Or it simply part of the OS that is not accessible?

Quote Originally Posted by pychozoundz View Post
    The reason I want an onscreen keyboard most is that it means Palm would have a decent auto-correct. I'm coming from a Samsung Glyde, which put the backspace on the top row, next to the 'P', and I'm constantly hitting one button to the left of what I want because it's in the second row(as it should be).

If you're a power texter, just leave the keyboard out, then you don't have to slide it open.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    I would want it for landscape mode. Otherwise, I don't care for it.
  8.    #8  
    I kindly have to say that I think quite a few G1 users would disagree with you. To each their own, this is why I think it should be either an option (enable, disable) or a simple on screen button to tap and bring it up as this wouldn't be intrusive in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    I would not like this to be a feature on this phone. A qwerty virtual keyboard in either portrait or landscape would be redundant.

The amount of effort it would take to reveal the useful hardware keypad, and the amount of effort it would take to bring up the cramped and ineffective virtual keyboard would be about the same. In landscape? I think the same argument applies.
    It'd be useful for universal searches where you're looking for a contact or something like that.
    I bet we'll see it by 1.1. They're probably saving it for the inevitable big patch down the road.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    The lack of an on-screen keyboard is one of the big reasons that I haven't purchased a Pre yet. The keyboard is tiny. If they added a landscape touchscreen keyboard, it would solve my biggest issue with the Pre. I'm also trying to wait for them to stabilize the manufacturing process as well. But if Palm dropped 1.0.5 tomorrow and it included an on-screen keyboard, I'd buy mine tomorrow.

I doubt that's coming within the next 30 days though, so I'll wait a month until the hardware probs are all ironed out. If Palm hasn't released a virtual keyboard by then, I'll just buy it and try to wait patiently until a 3rd party dev comes out with one. The slider keyboard was THIS close to being a deal breaker for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedar View Post
    Ftw
  13.    #13  
    If I have learned anything from the Pre it would be that sliders are awful in both terms of hardware and convenience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedar View Post
    Agreed.
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    Id like a webos model with only an on screen keyboard. This way we can slim down the phone. The Pre is a bit thick, because of it's keyboard. I dont really see a need for an on screen and hardware keyboard. One or the other would be great, but we'd need a larger screen.. probably 3.5" to be able to use the keyboard and still see what we're typing. Plus the extra width is essential for the keyboard usability.
    I think it would be a great idea..
    ya im waiting for a onscreen keyboard and quality control to go up

before i buy my pre

but i will get a pre for sure
    im looking forward to it... i dont like opening the keyboard... it is nice to have the keyboard, i would just prefer not to when i send a text, a tweet or a quick email
    would be convenient for "c ya soon" type of msgs
    What could it hurt?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast