View Poll Results: On screen keyboard?

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES! It is the one thing I am waiting for!

22 11.46%
  • I would use it frequently

56 29.17%
  • Occasionally for short SMS.

55 28.65%
  • I would use it exclusively.

2 1.04%
  • I would test this out before commiting.

15 7.81%
  • No on screen for me! Just the slider.

42 21.88%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    I completely agree. I really would love an on screen keyboard.
    There is no reason why it wasn't included in the first place, imo.
    Your Pre has a great onscreen keyboard! It came with the phone.

onscreen keyboard has been hidden

But the keyboard along with a dozen or so other key features seemed to be turned off.

See the link below.

- Craig
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    I would love to see an on-screen keyboard. No sense in wearing out the slider doing frequent short texts.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinde View Post

But the keyboard along with a dozen or so other key features seemed to be turned off.

See the link below.

- Craig
    That's just the WebShell keyboard: WebShell

Physical Keyboard is just 1 of the things that makes the Pre better than an iphone. But giving the user the option of a virtual one would be cool.
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    so it has a physical and you guys want virtual, the iphone has virtual and you want physical, hence why you biught the pre....make your minds up. there really is no need for a virtual keyboard and defeats the lenghts palm went through to engineer the gesture area in the first place.

keep the keyboard open during protracted texting, hell its open all day at my desk sometimes and closed when it goes into the holster

Quote Originally Posted by IMethos View Post
    so it has a physical and you guys want virtual, the iphone has virtual and you want physical, hence why you biught the pre....make your minds up. there really is no need for a virtual keyboard and defeats the lenghts palm went through to engineer the gesture area in the first place.

keep the keyboard open during protracted texting, hell its open all day at my desk sometimes and closed when it goes into the holster
    Wow. I would not claim that for 300,000 different people I would know "why you biught the pre. I think that their reasons are are as diverse as they are.

I think that people bought the Pre for a lot of different reasons, one of which may be the slide out keyboard.

The Pre is marketed as the latest and greatest smart phone. If you are going to come to market 2 years late, you had better do everything the market leader does and a whole lot more.

The Pre already has both a virtual and a physical keyboard. Palm just will not enable the virtual keyboard.

There are also a dozen missing basic features we have come to expect from something called a PALM. See below.

- Craig
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    Not true. The Pre does NOT have a soft keyboard. That was the SHELL keyboard and palm has NO intention of implementing a soft keyboard as far as i am aware of.

I'm not knocking soft keyboards, some phones def need them, but not a vertical slider like the pre and it def would not mesh with webos and the small screen of the pre.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    I doubt I would ever use it but if there was an on screen keyboard in landscape mode that would be the only situation I could ever imagine myself using one.
    I have no need for an onscreen keyboard. I actually fear the day the implement one, because then I'll have to weed through a zillion threads about problems with it.
    I wouldn't use one even then. It'd take up too much screen space. Just flip phone and type.

Palm = real kb. You won't see them fooling with a virtual one.
    More options are better unfortunately some here are to self centered to care about the needs / wants of others.

It should have bwen in from the start with an option to disable it in certain situations (landscape only or certain apps) or globally.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts

I've made up my mind. I want both.

It was one of the good things about my old PPC-6700. If I had a long thing to type out I could pop down the slider and go to town. However, if I just had a quick thing I needed to jot down I'd just use the software keyboard. Best of both worlds.

Why should we HAVE to settle? Why should I need to both sliding down the keyboard simply to type "OK" in a text message when I could just tap the screen and be done with it? Why should I have to turn the screen, wait for the acceleromoter to pick up the change, slide down the keyboard, type in a search, slide it back closed, and turn it again when I could just pop open an onscreen keyboard, type, and close it.

Essentially, what is the harm of having a soft keyboard in there. Yeah, its a feature I want badly.
    I would love a software keyboard. It makes it much easier to text in class or just places where you don't want to be fully noticed texting. Or if you just feel like texting on the soft keyboard
    The Pre is marketed as the latest and greatest smart phone. If you are going to come to market 2 years late, you had better do everything the market leader does and a whole lot more.
    Yeah...because the market leader rose to prominence because it could do everything other phones did in 2007. Riiiiiiiiiight.
  16.    #36  
    Some of these posts are valid.. On a candy bar design! Sometimes it would simply be a little easier to tap a button and pull up an onscreen keyboard than slide down the physical one.. Single hand operation comes to mind, It also looks like nearly 80% of this community that voted would like to see one also.

So if I am Palm and I am striving to build on my loyal user base, I think I would be doing some polling of my own to see just how much people want this on screen keyboard.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Not true. The Pre does NOT have a soft keyboard. That was the SHELL keyboard and palm has NO intention of implementing a soft keyboard as far as i am aware of.

I'm not knocking soft keyboards, some phones def need them, but not a vertical slider like the pre and it def would not mesh with webos and the small screen of the pre.
    You don't really seem to listen. People want a virtual keyboard to use while in landscape mode...it would certainly be useful for web browsing, quick SMS, and the occasional short email. It obviously wouldn't replace the physical keyboard because there's simply not enough screen real-estate. Oh, and this is a feature that's present on the G1, so it's not like folks are asking for anything too crazy!

See the link below.

- Craig
    For the MILLIONTH FREAKIN TIME: the keyboard seen in that thread is not a part of WebOS, it's the keyboard from webshell. The thread you linked to even says that.

I swear, that thread has to be the most ridiculous thread to people even the least bit technically inclined. It's like, "hey thanks for pointing out the obvious, Captain Obvious."
    I would maybe use it landscape for sms, seems like it would be kinda small...but I guess it wouldn't be as small as the keyboard.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12