1.    #1  
    If there is one thing Palm can learn from Apple it is that they did not allow the operators to add anything to their firmware.

Vodafone / Orange /T-mobile have been notorious for crippling their phones like removing VOIP functionality or even Wifi (yes on the original Nokia N95). If Palm lets them do this in return for them selling their phones then they will ultimately lose.

The users will have a crippled experience and will blame the device rather than the smug operators.
    Seriously, I don't see anything crippled on the (Sprint) Pre. Sprint is not (at least yet) offering tethering, but that's more of a Sprint accounting policy and lack of packaged software than the phone itself. My guess is that a Verizon Pre will be more crippled and that a GSM pre will be as open as the Sprint (perhaps with a tethering plan/option available). I suspect Sprint will probably offer a tethering package but that it was just something they could not have ready for the launch.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Ultimate test of this would be when the Pre comes to Verizon early next year.
    It is almost guaranteed that GPS and blue tooth will be crippled on the Verizon version. EVERY Verizon phone has had the same treatment
    Quote Originally Posted by Integrals View Post
    It is almost guaranteed that GPS and blue tooth will be crippled on the Verizon version. EVERY Verizon phone has had the same treatment
    Why? Why does Verizon cripple bluetooth and GPS? Just curious.
    Because they feel that they can make money on those items down the line I am sure. When you are one of the biggest, you can make mistakes like that with little loss. Its a real shame.
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    I don't know about bluetooth, but I know they make you use V-Cast Navigator if you want GPS (which you have to pay for monthly). They've done this on WinMo and BlackBerry. It seems though that Verizon is starting to lift their crippling on some phones.
    This is why I love my experience at Sprint. For $99 per mo. -20% corp discount, I was able to use my Samsung Instinct along with every feature it was capable of without any "crippling" by Sprint.
    I'll just wait for the non-carrier version. Freedom comes at a hefty price, I'd rather trade that for a dreadful long contract.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    WARNING: This post does not contain any useful substance. :-)

<rant on>
    VERIZON IS THE NEW GM. (It might take 5 or more years before they fall, but just like General Motors, they do what they want rather than listening to customers because they believe they they are in a better position to know what we need than we are.)
    </rant off>

There, I said it. Now I feel better. -)
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    $$$$$

So you have to pay for their gps service and so you cant transfer ringtones and songs via bluetooth and use their v-cast for songs you pay for
    Quote Originally Posted by wordweaver View Post
    iJaculate somewhere else
    Quote Originally Posted by no1smartphone View Post
    If there is one thing Palm can learn from Apple it is that they did not allow the operators to add anything to their firmware.

Vodafone / Orange /T-mobile have been notorious for crippling their phones like removing VOIP functionality or even Wifi (yes on the original Nokia N95). If Palm lets them do this in return for them selling their phones then they will ultimately lose.

The users will have a crippled experience and will blame the device rather than the smug operators.
    You forgot Verizon. #1 is crippling and destroying smartphones with their ugly CRAPPY interfaces and hardware restrictions.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
  13.    #13  
    Verizon and Vodafoen have the same mentality - Verizon is 44% owned by Vodafone I think. They just cripple all of their phones.

Even I have VOIP on my phone I still use my minutes to call as Data is still expensive on the phones - £7.50 for 500mb in UK and the call quality is far better.
    Has verizon ever allowed a "non-crippled" phone onto their network? They seem to be the worst. I was on verizon and my BB world edition had less features than the exact same hardware on other carriers. It is ridiculous in my opinion. Welcome to Verizon, you get to pay more and get less from your device...yay...
    I'm not going to try and defend Vzw because I have been a victim as well but they have been getting a little loose lately. Every BB since the Storm has GPS unlocked and a lot of WinMo phones have gotten/are getting patches to unlock the GPS officially.

Also they do not mess with the UI of smartphones, though they might include a Vzw wallpaper or skin but you can pretty much change it.

I've also been able to do pretty much what I wanted from bluetooth on my smartphones.
    Wasn't one of the requirements for their new 700MHz spectrum that it had to be open to any device that supported the spectrum? I don't remember the details but I remember that there was something like that attached to the 700MHz spectrum they bought...