Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey Everyone,
    Like many of you, I am stuck with Hardware problems on the Pre. Like most of you, I absolutely love the phone and can barely put it down. I am EXTREMELY disappointed with the build quality of the hardware and even mroe disappointed that Palm has not acknowledged it or starting fixing the issues. My first pre had a bunch of hotspots at the bottom of the screen, my second pre was sent to me by Palm and it turned out to be refurbished with the slider tracks all over the place, and finally I went into a sprint store to get a new one, but found a dead pixel when I got home. Now, I like the phone enough where I am just going to deal with a dead pixel, but it is even sad that it needs to get to that point. DO you guys agree that I should just keep the phone with a dead pixel?

My real question is, is there a chance Palm is going to have to recall many of the Pres? I know a lot of you have perfect ones, but there is no denying that they are having major major quality control problems. When I exchanged my phone at the sprint store, the manager told me that they will do one exchange max, otherwise I need to go to a service center. The fact that a store manager would even say something like that tells me that they are definitely having huge issues. Is there a chance that Palm is going to take care of their customers and make things right?
    Palm can't afford a recall even if it was necessary.
    I think the problems are blown out of proportion. All first versions of new hardware have issues. No way they're gonna recall anything.

Keep your Pre with one dead pixel, that's as good as you're gonna get.
    Palm isn't doing a recall. As much as people complain on these forums, the issues with the Pre aren't that much different than those with other similar phones. Coming from the HTC TP, there were tons of similar complaints. IMO, the complaints are coming from a very very vocal minority, making the problems appear to be bigger than they are. Now, I'm not saying that the vocal minority aren't being truthful, I think they probably are- but they're still likely the great great minority.
  5.    #5  
    Yeah its true. With my last phone, palm offered for me to send it in for them to repair. Should I try that option? I may not have my phone for like 5 days, but if thats the only way to get a good looking phone, then I am good with that.

Also, you guys don't think that there could be a class action suit or something? My girlfriend used to work at th apple store when the first iPhone launched and see agreed that they had many hardware issues. BUT, she can't believe that I've had 3 phones and none of them are right. I think people are exchanging a lot more than we think.
  6. hon
    When iphone 3g came out, the picture of cracks flied all over the internet.

The truth is, iphone 3G had the least problems comparing with all other "smart" phones.

On the other hand, some claims nearly 50% of Storm users either exchanged or returned their phone.

Storm sold nearly 2 millions. Rimm CEO claimed that it was the most successful Blackberry.

Just wonder what to believe on the net in these days
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberstven View Post
    Hey Everyone,
    Like many of you, I am stuck with Hardware problems on the Pre. Like most of you, I absolutely love the phone and can barely put it down. I am EXTREMELY disappointed with the build quality of the hardware and even mroe disappointed that Palm has not acknowledged it or starting fixing the issues. My first pre had a bunch of hotspots at the bottom of the screen, my second pre was sent to me by Palm and it turned out to be refurbished with the slider tracks all over the place, and finally I went into a sprint store to get a new one, but found a dead pixel when I got home. Now, I like the phone enough where I am just going to deal with a dead pixel, but it is even sad that it needs to get to that point. DO you guys agree that I should just keep the phone with a dead pixel?

My real question is, is there a chance Palm is going to have to recall many of the Pres? I know a lot of you have perfect ones, but there is no denying that they are having major major quality control problems. When I exchanged my phone at the sprint store, the manager told me that they will do one exchange max, otherwise I need to go to a service center. The fact that a store manager would even say something like that tells me that they are definitely having huge issues. Is there a chance that Palm is going to take care of their customers and make things right?
    I think the issues are way over blown. If you are not happy with the phone return it. Palm does not need to make sure every person has a perfect phone. The have no obligation to replace even a device with a dead pixel let alone one that has a slight wobble to it...Hell apples own dead pixel policy requires multiple pixels or you have to pay to have it fixed.

A recall would not happen unless there is a risk of injury to the consumer. I have yet to read of an instance of injury to any pre owner. Seriously this was a stupid post. Think about it, the xbox 360 was never recalled...and those devices stopped functioning all together. And i dispute your assumption that they are having major quality control problems... Alot of the online "posts" of bad hardware seem to be of cosmetic nature sans the screen cracking...which any touchscreen device may experience. Seriously why would a "recall" be how you take care of customers and make things right? People lose their phones and it would kill palm.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    The truth is for there to be a recall the phone would have to be exploding or catching fire in great documented majorities. These hardware/software things will work themselves out in time as all early adopters know. I myself will probably be going the TEP route before the end of the year in the hopes of catching an "improved" hardware revision. Price you pay for being the first to have the new "toy" in your pocket , or your protective case of choice...
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberstven View Post
    Yeah its true. With my last phone, palm offered for me to send it in for them to repair. Should I try that option? I may not have my phone for like 5 days, but if thats the only way to get a good looking phone, then I am good with that.

Also, you guys don't think that there could be a class action suit or something? My girlfriend used to work at th apple store when the first iPhone launched and see agreed that they had many hardware issues. BUT, she can't believe that I've had 3 phones and none of them are right. I think people are exchanging a lot more than we think.
    No chance. How was anyone wronged by palm and the "quality"? Within 30 days you can take it back. Physical damage is not covered, and while it is possible that defective screens were made, it's on the consumer to prove the screen is "defective" as is in almost all "defective product" suits.

At which point at most sprint would be required to exchange those and would most likely charge back palm for it. And trust me sprint and palm would start doing that miles before a "recall" or court order. But there is not enough evidence of serious hardware issues. There will be no recall and no class action suit. Let history serve as a guide point and look at other products of similar class. Dam....its like the pre is giving people salmonella or something.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
  10.    #10  
    I do not think the issues are way over blown at all. I think a lot of us are in denial that such a great phone has some major issues. You can't argue with probability. I have received 3 phones and all of them have had issues. Obviously the percentage isn't 100, but still, the fact that so many of us keep getting defective phones time after time does say something. I'm sure a lot of the people are exchanging phones is due to ocd about the little problem (that is why I am not exchanging it for one dead pixel), but still, there is no denying that there is a substantial percentage of defective phones. I agree with you about the recall, I have yet to hear about something being recalled unless it could be a risk to consumers.
    Well, the problems are real. I'm on my 5th Pre, all had problems that were unacceptable. My current one has a stuck pixel, but I'm okay with that.

Palm undoubtedly has a disaster on its hands and I'm curious how it has escaped notice from the media so far.

Look, I've owned these devices since the early 90's and have never seen such a botched launch. I'm praying that my current Pre will last because I really like the phone but I'm also worried that I'll get stuck with a clunker after my 30 days are up.

As for exchanges, like I said, I've gotten my 5th Pre from the same store and everything was hassle free. They were helpful and courteous, gave me no problems. Even Palm itself has told me plainly to replace my phone at a store. So there will not be a recall but I'm sure they are swamped with returns with no end in sight.

How could Palm do this? It's amazing that with so much riding on this launch they'd picked up a horrible manufacturer, whoever that is. I sincerely hope Palm survives this monumental mistake but it may be one too many.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    People who spent upwards of $2k on LCD TVs end up with a few stuck pixels and those don't get returned or recalled.

So I'm thinking no....
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    So why doesn't someone start a Poll to see how many users have experienced problems. That will settle the debate as to whether there is a vocal minority or not.

I (as a prospective buyer) would like to know
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by as147 View Post
    So why doesn't someone start a Poll to see how many users have experienced problems. That will settle the debate as to whether there is a vocal minority or not.

Its been done ad nauseam.
  15.    #15  
    I agree that I would like an official poll, but I take those with a grain of salt. I don't think everyone is entirely honest (people with errors may not say they have errors and apple fan boys might vote that it has errors).
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ION-q View Post
    People who spent upwards of $2k on LCD TVs end up with a few stuck pixels and those don't get returned or recalled.

So I'm thinking no....
    Do you sit 12' from your Pre?
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts

That wouldn't settle anything. The users on this forum represent a small fraction of actual owners. It would be polling the minority.

Fwiw, my Pre has zero issues. Bought it on launch day in Norwalk, CT.
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts

Polls in these forums, athough interesting, are meaningless because of the small sample size. People who freqent these sites are either tech early adopters/geeks or someone with a problem. Not a true representation of "all" users. The truth is you are the consumer and you give your vote by choosing to buy or not buy the product, or returning it within the alloted time. Personally I really like the phone, it does everything I need, so in this poll of one I vote keeping it. Meaningless, i know...
  19. d94
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    while im pissed with my problems with palm and my pre and see plenty of users on these boards, my friends dont have problems with their pres and i know about 6 guys who own exclusive sprint stores and have sold over a hundred pres..some have not had a single return my guess is there's just some bad batches..or so i hope

however im about to return my pre and consider the bb tour that comes out in a few weeks
    palm pro > visor > m100 > visor prism > clie sl30 > zire 71 > dell X5 > toshiba E755 > clie NX70 > ipaq 2200 > Treo 700w (verizon) > Treo 700wx (sprint) > Treo 755p (sprint) > HTC Mogul > HTC Diamond > HTC Touch Pro > Pre
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aldamon View Post
    Do you sit 12' from your Pre?
    I'll have to try that.

Even at 12', you can still see them on an LCD (dark pixel on a white field) - prolly why I bought a plasma.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast