Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 62
  1. mikneb's Avatar
    Posts
    3 Posts
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by d94 View Post
    while im pissed with my problems with palm and my pre and see plenty of users on these boards, my friends dont have problems with their pres and i know about 6 guys who own exclusive sprint stores and have sold over a hundred pres..some have not had a single return my guess is there's just some bad batches..or so i hope

    however im about to return my pre and consider the bb tour that comes out in a few weeks
    I'm thinking about the same thing. I don't know if this is even feasible, but is it outside the realm of possibility for me to return my Palm Pre, and instead be given a loaner and use my 2 year contract discount towards the Tour?

    I know it's having my cake and eating it too...and the table the cake was on...
  2. #42  
    The problem is the poll is over a week old and thus no longer accurate for many of its previous voters. I personally voted 1 exchange but since then I've had to exchange my phone 3 more times. I can't change my vote so the poll still shows me as one of your "88%" even though I am one of the people with the most exchanges.

    Quote Originally Posted by SharonW View Post
    (sigh) It's even on this front page right now. Note, the never exchanged and one-time-only exchangers total 88% and they are BIG numbers voting.

    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pre/poll-1589-a.html

    The worst two categories, four and five exchanges, have only increased recently by a total of 7 since the poll began which was sometime last week, I think.
  3. #43  
    Either way, To answer the OP again: No Palm should not issue a recall. It wouldn't make sense, considering the issues are not dangerous and Palms financial situation. Look for subtle and nonchalant changes to the way its manufactured. That's what a prudent business would do.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"


    PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
  4. blaidan's Avatar
    Posts
    145 Posts
    Global Posts
    267 Global Posts
    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberstven View Post
    Yeah... I don't know, maybe I will try exchanging it. Time is running out (I bought on launch day) so I guess I mineaswell do it. The manager at the Sprint store in Santa Monica, CA told me that this is the only time I can exchange it.... after this, I have to go to a sprint SERVICE store. Should I just go in there and and refuse to accept anything but a new phone? I feel like a jerk for putting the poor people in the store through this.
    I don't think that you should feel like a jerk for expecting to get a product that is exactly what you were expecting for the $ that you paid. I'm sure that if you bought a TV and it had a dead pixel you would send it back. No reason that you should expect any less from your phone. Don't settle.
  5. #45  
    Bought my Pre the day it came out and had no issues. People on this forum scare me and got me wondering what the "Oreo" twist is.... Sure glad I don't have that one...
  6. SharonW's Avatar
    Posts
    402 Posts
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    The problem is the poll is over a week old and thus no longer accurate for many of its previous voters. I personally voted 1 exchange but since then I've had to exchange my phone 3 more times. I can't change my vote so the poll still shows me as one of your "88%" even though I am one of the people with the most exchanges.
    Well, you can't expect the place to run a new poll every freakin' day. I'd say regardless of your lack of ability to change your vote, it's probably close to a decent overall assessment.

    And, no, Palm is NOT going to do a recall. Most people would be pleased that Sprint didn't hassle you and were happy to replace it. The overall gist I've been reading is exactly that. No problems with returns. And THAT is good.

    Incidentally, I know a lot of the flat panel monitor manufacturers have a dead pixel allowance anywhere from 1-4 depending on the manufacturer. One dead pixel seems really, really minor to me.
  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by SharonW View Post
    Well, you can't expect the place to run a new poll every freakin' day. I'd say regardless of your lack of ability to change your vote, it's probably close to a decent overall assessment.

    And, no, Palm is NOT going to do a recall. Most people would be pleased that Sprint didn't hassle you and were happy to replace it. The overall gist I've been reading is exactly that. No problems with returns. And THAT is good.

    Incidentally, I know a lot of the flat panel monitor manufacturers have a dead pixel allowance anywhere from 1-4 depending on the manufacturer. One dead pixel seems really, really minor to me.
    I wouldn't put ANY stock into any poll in an internet forum, positive OR negative. They're totally unscientific and I don't believe they give you even a general idea.
  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by SharonW View Post
    Well, you can't expect the place to run a new poll every freakin' day. I'd say regardless of your lack of ability to change your vote, it's probably close to a decent overall assessment.
    I disagree. The Pre has only been out a few weeks. So if most people voted when only half that time had elapsed it is possibly extremely inaccurate at this point.

    For example let's exaggerate it to show what I mean. If the poll were opened and most people cast their votes one hour after the Pre went on sale then the poll would show 100% of people on their first Pre because there simply would not have been enough time for people to find their problems, get on Sprint's waiting list and return the device.

    Also, people are most likely to vote in the poll soon after getting their first device. Nobody has a crystal ball and can tell ahead of time that they are going to develop a loose slider or a swarm of dead pixels next week and need to return the phone. For these reasons (and the self-selecting nature of poll responders) I'd guess that the poll is extremely inaccurate at this point.

    Quote Originally Posted by SharonW View Post
    And, no, Palm is NOT going to do a recall. Most people would be pleased that Sprint didn't hassle you and were happy to replace it. The overall gist I've been reading is exactly that. No problems with returns. And THAT is good.
    Unfortunately that wasn't the case for me. Sprint did hassle me and made me wait 1-2 weeks for each exchange. I eventually got so fed up with Sprint I simply returned the phone for a refund and bought another one from Walmart. Walmart, by contrast, did not hassle me and I was able to exchange a defective phone immediately.

    Quote Originally Posted by SharonW View Post
    Incidentally, I know a lot of the flat panel monitor manufacturers have a dead pixel allowance anywhere from 1-4 depending on the manufacturer. One dead pixel seems really, really minor to me.
    I agree that a few bad pixels isn't the end of the world. My current phone (#5) has at least 2 bad pixels and I'll live with that. But Pre #2 had at least 11 stuck pixels and and Pre #3 had at least 9 stuck pixels. I don't think it's unreasonable for me to say that that is too many.
  9. #49  
    I know the issues people are having are real and so is their disappointment, however one factor I have not seen mentioned here that could contribute to the lack of tolerance for ANY flaw on the Pre... It's the sheer beauty of the device. Let's face it, between the ultra clear and amazing interface, and the beautiful design and feel of the shape... The Pre is like a work of art. ...and I'm not sure if that's really a good thing altogether. Half the time I carry the thing around like it's the hope diamond or something. I just know I'm gonna drop it at some point and it will shatter into a bazillion pieces, but I LOVE THIS DEVICE! So yeah, a dead pixel, a small scratch, a screen crack or a wobble would totally freak me out. I want to in case the thing in glass not punch away on the key board or spin it on it's back like I did my Treo. Hell, my old Treo looks like hell, but it still works today. Now, I don't think I could stand it if my Pre looked like my Treo...even if it still worked well.
    Why can't the mobile device manufactures get that most want a touch screen and a front face QWERTY?
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    I disagree. The Pre has only been out a few weeks. So if most people voted when only half that time had elapsed it is possibly extremely inaccurate at this point.

    For example let's exaggerate it to show what I mean. If the poll were opened and most people cast their votes one hour after the Pre went on sale then the poll would show 100% of people on their first Pre because there simply would not have been enough time for people to find their problems, get on Sprint's waiting list and return the device.

    Also, people are most likely to vote in the poll soon after getting their first device. Nobody has a crystal ball and can tell ahead of time that they are going to develop a loose slider or a swarm of dead pixels next week and need to return the phone. For these reasons (and the self-selecting nature of poll responders) I'd guess that the poll is extremely inaccurate at this point.



    Unfortunately that wasn't the case for me. Sprint did hassle me and made me wait 1-2 weeks for each exchange. I eventually got so fed up with Sprint I simply returned the phone for a refund and bought another one from Walmart. Walmart, by contrast, did not hassle me and I was able to exchange a defective phone immediately.



    I agree that a few bad pixels isn't the end of the world. My current phone (#5) has at least 2 bad pixels and I'll live with that. But Pre #2 had at least 11 stuck pixels and and Pre #3 had at least 9 stuck pixels. I don't think it's unreasonable for me to say that that is too many.
    Yes, but ALL of that assumes that you have a good sampling of the population of Pre owners and you have absolutely no way of knowing that. It's more than likely that the people who read and vote in a thread about a problem are people who are actually experiencing that problem. People like me who are having no issues but are sick of 50 troll polls a day don't even bother any more. And what about all of the lurkers here who own the phone but don't post at all? Or the fact the vast majority of people who own the phone don't actually come here? Or the fact that there's nothing preventing people who don't even own the device from voting? Or creating a poll?
  11. #51  
    Interesting observation. You may be right.

    Quote Originally Posted by rog47776 View Post
    I know the issues people are having are real and so is their disappointment, however one factor I have not seen mentioned here that could contribute to the lack of tolerance for ANY flaw on the Pre... It's the sheer beauty of the device. Let's face it, between the ultra clear and amazing interface, and the beautiful design and feel of the shape... The Pre is like a work of art. ...and I'm not sure if that's really a good thing altogether. Half the time I carry the thing around like it's the hope diamond or something. I just know I'm gonna drop it at some point and it will shatter into a bazillion pieces, but I LOVE THIS DEVICE! So yeah, a dead pixel, a small scratch, a screen crack or a wobble would totally freak me out. I want to in case the thing in glass not punch away on the key board or spin it on it's back like I did my Treo. Hell, my old Treo looks like hell, but it still works today. Now, I don't think I could stand it if my Pre looked like my Treo...even if it still worked well.
  12. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    Yes, but ALL of that assumes that you have a good sampling of the population of Pre owners and you have absolutely no way of knowing that.
    No, nothing I said assumes a good sample. Whether or not the sample is good does not at all matter to my arguments. In fact, I myself comment about "the self-selecting nature of poll responders." You can translate that as the sample in this type of poll is probably not a good one. It actually bolsters my point which was that the poll results are "possibly extremely inaccurate at this point."

    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    It's more than likely that the people who read and vote in a thread about a problem are people who are actually experiencing that problem.
    Please show me the facts you have to back up that statement. Show me any evidence that this is true.

    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    People like me who are having no issues but are sick of 50 troll polls a day don't even bother any more. And what about all of the lurkers here who own the phone but don't post at all? Or the fact the vast majority of people who own the phone don't actually come here? Or the fact that there's nothing preventing people who don't even own the device from voting? Or creating a poll?
    What does any of this commentary have to do with with my post?
  13. SharonW's Avatar
    Posts
    402 Posts
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    I disagree. The Pre has only been out a few weeks. So if most people voted when only half that time had elapsed it is possibly extremely inaccurate at this point.

    For example let's exaggerate it to show what I mean. If the poll were opened and most people cast their votes one hour after the Pre went on sale then the poll would show 100% of people on their first Pre because there simply would not have been enough time for people to find their problems, get on Sprint's waiting list and return the device.

    Also, people are most likely to vote in the poll soon after getting their first device. Nobody has a crystal ball and can tell ahead of time that they are going to develop a loose slider or a swarm of dead pixels next week and need to return the phone. For these reasons (and the self-selecting nature of poll responders) I'd guess that the poll is extremely inaccurate at this point.



    Unfortunately that wasn't the case for me. Sprint did hassle me and made me wait 1-2 weeks for each exchange. I eventually got so fed up with Sprint I simply returned the phone for a refund and bought another one from Walmart. Walmart, by contrast, did not hassle me and I was able to exchange a defective phone immediately.



    I agree that a few bad pixels isn't the end of the world. My current phone (#5) has at least 2 bad pixels and I'll live with that. But Pre #2 had at least 11 stuck pixels and and Pre #3 had at least 9 stuck pixels. I don't think it's unreasonable for me to say that that is too many.
    Man, too many issues getting messed up here. First of all, the poll isn't that old. Others here on this thread wanted a poll. I pointed the direction. More than one has been done. That was the most recent with lots of responses. You don't like it or believe it, tough. I've watched as the numbers changed and very few were added to the worse categories and, yes, that could be for the reason you stated, but many, many more were added to the perfect or one return category.

    Nonetheless, the original poster of this thread had ONE DEAD PIXEL and questioned, nay, hypothesized that this might be a recall product?!?! Get a freakin' grip.

    You had to wait for your replacement at Sprint because DEMAND has OVER-STRIPPED SUPPLY, not because Sprint is "hassling you." Ain't that so cool that you lucked out with Walmart and found one there? Second party sites weren't receiving shipments by any proportion initially.
  14. #54  
    I wish we could get a flood of new apps or something because this forum has just become a bunch of people complaining non-stop for the past week or two.
    Kinda boring if you ask me. For the bulk of us that have no issues with our phone its not very fun to read.
  15. #55  
    I thought my post was fun...or at least funny.
    Why can't the mobile device manufactures get that most want a touch screen and a front face QWERTY?
  16. #56  
    Anybody think this could spawn into a Class Action Lawsuit?
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

    HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
  17. #57  
    Palm undoubtedly has a disaster on its hands and I'm curious how it has escaped notice from the media so far.
    Obviously, it is not a major issue or you would have heard about it in the media.
    Treo 700P : Sprint Treo Pro since March 09
  18. jdale's Avatar
    Posts
    554 Posts
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    Anybody think this could spawn into a Class Action Lawsuit?
    No. What would the argument be?

    "Your honor, my phones had manufacturing flaws, and Sprint kept exchanging them until they found me one that worked."

    If Sprint tried to charge everyone for the exchanges, that might be different.
  19. #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    Anybody think this could spawn into a Class Action Lawsuit?
    Class Action Lawsuits accomplish nothing. Especially when arguing about build quality of a [insert product here]. It's not like it's maiming or killing people (OMG I cut my finger when slicing cheese with my Pre!). Go search around on the 800w boards with folks calling for a class action due to the GPS fiasco and see where that got to.
  20. #60  
    I just can't wait until after July 6th, hopefully the majority of detractors are gone by then.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions