Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    Did a search, didn't see this posted.

Palm Has Sold Almost 400,000 Pres...But It Will Still Bomb

KEY EXCERPT:

"The Pre is still no iPhone, however, and it's especially no NEW iPhone, and it's worth keeping the 400,000 Pres sold in context: Apple sold more than twice that many new iPhones in a single weekend.

Over time, we still think the smartphone game is becoming a platform play, and Apple, RIM, and even Google have huge leads over Pre as development platforms. The world doesn't need FOUR major handset platforms. It probably doesn't even need two or three. So, long-term, we still think the Pre will bomb. "

LOL...again what an *****. The world doesn't need two smartphone Os's???
    Let the CNN Money / Henry Blodget bashing commence.
    I believe that there are several articles showing palm needing around 5 million handsets or so to get things rolling so while 400k isn't a bad start they still have a long way to go. I also agree somewhat that there are a lot of players in the market and I don't expect them to all be there still in 5 years. 2 makers only is retarded though.
  3. bbr
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    I agree with this guy, competition is absolutely terrible, especially for us consumers. Give me a break.
    This guy is saying that the world only needs 1 major platform? Why do people write articles about something they apparently know so little about? Currently, winmo, rim, symbian, and apple are all HUGE. How can you take this guy seriously when he fails to mention two of the biggest platforms worldwide? Android and WebOS are pretty noobie, but they're doing well too. Considering the huge growth of the smartphone market, both currently and expected, there's no reason why there can't be many successful platforms.

Also, when you consider that Palm sold 400k (if that's accurate) on only ONE mobile network, they're not doing half-bad. There will be a gsm version of the pre coming out outside of the US in the coming months and verizon and at&t versions shortly after that- 5 million doesn't seem too far-fetched at all.
    Blackberry is not going away any time soon.

Apple certainly is here to stay for a while.

Windows Mobile is still going to be here next year, and the year after that, and the year after that...

Android has been out for a while, but only on one phone in the US, and it seems not to have taken off. Still, with Google muscle and makers like Samsung and Motorola behind it, it could be big any day now.

Palm's WebOS makes 5, and if they keep selling .5M per month, introduce other models, debut internationally with GSM, and get on other carriers in the US, it's going to be pretty big too.

And let's not forget about Symbian, which has recently been open-sourced. It is not going anywhere either.

Whether some analyst thinks there is room or not, we have 6 major smartphone platforms, none of which show any sign of abating yet. There seems to be no shortage of developers for any of these platforms, and lots and lots of people like each of them for different reasons.

Can't we all just get along?
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    comparing a world-wide launch to a US-only launch...hmm...yes that's valid comparison.
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ78 View Post
    comparing a world-wide launch to a US-only launch...hmm...yes that's valid comparison.
    THANK YOU! Why does every stupid article about this topic forget to bring this up? The iPhone has legions of ***** fans WORLDWIDE. let me repeat, WORLD FREKIN WIDE

The Pre sold ONLY on a single, 4th place US carrier. Gimme a break.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees368 View Post
    THANK YOU! Why does every stupid article about this topic forget to bring this up? The iPhone has legions of ***** fans WORLDWIDE. let me repeat, WORLD FREKIN WIDE

3rd.

Sprint is pretty solidly #3. But I agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou View Post
    Sprint is pretty solidly #3. But I agree.
    hey, even better. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    I believe that there are several articles showing palm needing around 5 million handsets or so to get things rolling so while 400k isn't a bad start they still have a long way to go.
    Palm is definitely not saved yet. Look at their balance sheet, they are in a HUGE hole. I hope the Pre helps them survive but it's nowhere close to guaranteed.

Looks like the iPhone isn't the only phone that attracts legions of *****ic fans.

I'll also add that the person that wrote that on CNN money is a moron.
    Last edited by Badandy127; 06/30/2009 at 12:38 PM.

3rd place.

(AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile, Nextel).
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    And let's not forget about Symbian, which has recently been open-sourced. It is not going anywhere either.
    Funny, that's exactly what I think about Symbian's chances in the US, but in the absolute opposite way you do. I know Europe loves it but until it gets subsidized on a US carrier it's not going anywhere here.

Personally, I think there are currently two tiers of smartphone platforms right now:

In the top tier is Apple, webOS, and (just barely making it on this one) Blackberry OS.

The bottom tier is Symbian, WM, and Android.

Now don't get me wrong, the bottom 3 are all very powerful and very capable operating systems, they just haven't really put it all together in a way that will appeal to the general public, generally for UI reasons and too much complexity.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Personally, I think there are currently two tiers of smartphone platforms right now:

In the top tier is Apple, webOS, and (just barely making it on this one) Blackberry OS.

The bottom tier is Symbian, WM, and Android.

Now don't get me wrong, the bottom 3 are all very powerful and very capable operating systems, they just haven't really put it all together in a way that will appeal to the general public, generally for UI reasons and too much complexity.
    That's a very personal list. Worldwide sales, however, have Symbian way ahead, followed by RIM, Winmo, then Apple. The Pre and Android are pretty far behind because of their relative newness.
    As more and more of these idiotic articles pop up, Palm just happily rolls along and continues to improve on the phone while preparing for their next projects down the line. I think "Silicon Alley Insider" just isn't a Palm fan and wants them to go down in flames for whatever reason. If you look at their other articles below - just look at the titles:

"Palm Pre Owners Complain About Shoddy Manufacturing (PALM, S)"

"Palm Pre App Store: Still Tiny, As Expected (PALM)"

Very pessimistic and negative. Instead of saying "Quality control issues in manufacturing still not hurting Palm as they continue to improve. 400,000 sold so far"

or "Palm Pre App store getting ready to grow as more developers get their hands on SDK"

Thanks for making his point even more clear - The Pre will never be a big hit until it can be sold world wide......

The iFruit can be sold world wide and thus stomps the pre
    -Treo 650 | 700wx | Centro | 800w | Treo Pro
    I also think that WebOS is a stronger candidate than Android, only because Palm has so much at stake. Google has lots of money, but they're not dependent on Android for their very survival. In terms of doing whatever's necessary to survive, I think Palm will make the more aggressive decisions.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    I like how this guy completed ignored Windows Mobile in his article...
    Quote Originally Posted by osidak View Post
    Thanks for making his point even more clear - The Pre will never be a big hit until it can be sold world wide......

The iFruit can be sold world wide and thus stomps the pre
    Not true at all. When the original iphone launched, guess what..it was only available in the US also. Give the pre some time to go world wide, and we will see what the demand is really like.
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    Only one smart phone OS would completely stop innovation. Look what happened when MSFT released IE6.. they all had a party and stopped working on the web browser for years until FireFox forced them to release IE7.

Apple was doing the same thing, they were so far ahead of their time with the iPhone, they stopped innovating. That's why I switched to the Pre, I was sick and tired of sloth Apple (as much as I love their products), and was dying for some competition. We need four major players.

I hope RIM, Android, and Symbian all step up their game. Yes, Im not mentioning WinMo, since I'd never purchase such a device
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast