Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    sorry nhavar, but as a 13yr palm user I can't put checkmarks next tpo contacts. and while we're at it you can throw calendar, memos and tasks in the unchecked column. They dumbed down the PIM to work with the likes of Google and ditched a PIM model that was quite successful. so no, they didn't do the basics right.

And comparing iphone 1.0 to webOS 1.0 isn't fair. Apple didn't have 13yrs experience in the mobile OS business. I expect more from Palm than I would Apple with a new OS and phone as they've been there, done that and should have learned so many lessons by now.
    Quote Originally Posted by mapara View Post
    The Pre is no iPhone <--- this
    that's pretty much what a lot of 'reviewers' seem to dance around while trying not to appear to be iPhone fanboys.

Both are nice phones.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    And the IPhone is no Pre.

Didn't the IPhone 3g also have many more Advertisements before its launch? Truth be told, I didn't know about the Palm Pre coming out for Sprint until late May.
    The Pre will get there. In due time, my dears.
    world doesn't need to desktop OS's either but it takes them. Apple isn't exactly a bomb. Hell the would could deal with one car maker too. As for the lead of the competitors. Palm is an established name and that helps. Also think of the very lucrative video game console market. Nintendo had a lead and it didn't stop Sega from eclipsing them only to have that lead eclipsed by Sony with the Playstation and the Playstation 2, only to have Sony's "lead" eclipsed by Microsoft and the Xbox 360 which in turn had a lead over the other late arriving players only to have virtually dead in the water Nintendo rise up and regain the lead. Smart business people making good products will sell. I think they have both but the truth remains to be seen. But it won't fail because it's not in the lead now. you don't have to pass apple to be a lead and tons of products come from behind anyways. Ask Nintendo, Ask Sony, Ask Microsoft, Hell even ask Apple. i think this guy is shorting Palm stock.
    Wow...people talk like the Pre has been out for over a year with no success.... Come on! It's only been one month, and there's new stuff coming to other carriers which will broaden the user base and allow to have more developers to be attracted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees368 View Post
    THANK YOU! Why does every stupid article about this topic forget to bring this up? The iPhone has legions of ***** fans WORLDWIDE. let me repeat, WORLD FREKIN WIDE

The Pre sold ONLY on a single, 4th place US carrier. Gimme a break.
    So ture ... True. Sadly, I always forget this as well. I actualy quote the differenace in Pre launch asaales verse 3gS sales to a friend of my, completely forgetting Ipone was global. Thanks for posting this (i will now go correct my FB wall post)

Quote Originally Posted by DougB541 View Post
    3rd place.

(AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile, Nextel).
    Dude ... Nextel? now owned by sprint. I don;t think that should be on any list (kinda like Alltell, now owned by verizon)

Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    Both are nice phones.
    Agree ! There is a place in the market for both

Quote Originally Posted by groovdafied View Post
    Wow...people talk like the Pre has been out for over a year with no success.... Come on! It's only been one month, and there's new stuff coming to other carriers which will broaden the user base and allow to have more developers to be attracted.
    Yep. When this phone gets to toher carries and gets gloabl, things will really get intresting. This is only 1st step for palm
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    When was the last time Palm sold 400k of ANYTHING in a single month? In that way Palm has already gotten a win.

Palm has restructured, built WebOS the foundation of a new product line, and shown that they can get this product out -- that's gotta say something to investers. Yeah I know profits and all that count as well, but Palm's already shown their potential. I would think that many investos who previously wouldn't even consider Palm are now taking notice and some even willing to invest, all-be-it cautiously.

Palm is the Phoenix, they're the little engine that could, that's got to have piqued someone's interest.
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    Just had a conversation with some friends who were looking at getting an iPhone. Had the chance to show them the PRE as comparison. They are still going to get an iPhone for these reasons:
    - Don't want to switch carriers. MOST people are very intimidated to switch and need a very compelling reason to do so.
    - They are also much more familiar with the iPhone and that brings a comfort level. They see more people with them and that just adds to the comfort level.
    - What they are buying when they buy an iPhone are APPS... They have NO idea about the phone OS or not even that much about the basic phone - but the APPS they can get- that is what really excites people

I was able to compare feature for feature but they really didn't get what multi-tasking can do - or what cards can do - or what synergy can do. They DID like the size and feel of the PRE better. The keyboard - they pretty much take it that a virtual keyboard works as a statement of faith - because - well - if millions of users are ok with it then they should be too!

These are all very VALID reasons to choose an iPhone. I wouldn't try to change their minds.

Over time - once the PRE has the apps and the numbers - then the other factors will begin to kick in and it will be a viable option.

I personally prefer the PRE over the iPHONE, feature for feature it is better, bang for the buck it is better... and for me a KEYBOARD was a requirement, the apps WILL come and if PALM is SMART they won't hold court over developers like APPLE does. But I dislike APPLE JUST because I strongly dislike how APPLE continues to drive people into continuous upgrading ever 1-2 years. They hold off on just enough features so they can get people to jump for new models. Heck - we all know why they don't have replaceable batteries - if every 1-1.5 years you need to send your phone in and spend $70 for a new battery - BUT - guess what - there is a NEW MODEL with 5 GREAT NEW FEATURES YOU HAVE TO HAVE - might as well just upgrade!

Just a word on Windows Mobile... it sucks. could not WAIT to get rid of my WM device. Now HERE's the bottom line - WM will NEVER be able to do what the iPHONE or PRE can do - it just is not in their architecture. Geez - it is WINDOWS after all, with all the same flaws and HUGE footprint. Forget that the OS stinks - but functionally it will not ever do touchscreen well... it will ALWAYS be slow and it will ALWAYS be resetting and take a darn big system to run...

iPhone and PRE and BlackBerry will be the dominant platforms when all is said and done.

What will allow PRE to get there - is having their devices available on all carriers - which will force Apple to do the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    When was the last time Palm sold 400k of ANYTHING in a single month? In that way Palm has already gotten a win.

Palm has restructured, built WebOS the foundation of a new product line, and shown that they can get this product out -- that's gotta say something to investers. Yeah I know profits and all that count as well, but Palm's already shown their potential. I would think that many investos who previously wouldn't even consider Palm are now taking notice and some even willing to invest, all-be-it cautiously.

Palm is the Phoenix, they're the little engine that could, that's got to have piqued someone's interest.
    I think we all know Palm could've sold much more than that if not a soft launch due to low inventory. No ads really.

If i have any problem with Palm, its execution. They have a great product although there's plenty of bugs to work out.

What troubles me is a lack of focus or at least we don't hear it from them. This upcoming EOS device?? Stupid. They should be concentrating on the Pre and not even wasting resources on a gimped version. Imagine the lag on that thing and only 4 gb?? If they want to address people who don't want sliders, then do a Pro version, provide a card slot for it and a better kb, same processor and ram.

If they want a 99 dollar webOS device? They'll have it next year with the phone you have in front of you...the Pre. And the Pre 2 should be the higher version.

Buyers have indicated the smartphone choices are confusing to them and is a barrier. Keep the models simple to follow. Apple gets this. Hopefully Palm will.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I think we all know Palm could've sold much more than that if not a soft launch due to low inventory. No ads really.

If i have any problem with Palm, its execution. They have a great product although there's plenty of bugs to work out.

What troubles me is a lack of focus or at least we don't hear it from them. This upcoming EOS device?? Stupid. They should be concentrating on the Pre and not even wasting resources on a gimped version. Imagine the lag on that thing and only 4 gb?? If they want to address people who don't want sliders, then do a Pro version, provide a card slot for it and a better kb, same processor and ram.

If they want a 99 dollar webOS device? They'll have it next year with the phone you have in front of you...the Pre. And the Pre 2 should be the higher version.

Buyers have indicated the smartphone choices are confusing to them and is a barrier. Keep the models simple to follow. Apple gets this. Hopefully Palm will.
    Then how about you call up corporate and let them know? Or better yet, why don't you start your own company and produce a competitive device?

It always amazes me when people who work at Burger King get on the internet and presume to tell the world what some company needs to do to be successful.

Get over yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post

I don't get this. Not everyone wants a slider or needs a Pro type device. The EoS/Centro is popular among the set that doesn't need all of those Pro features. It's a market that exists. Palm is employing the RIM model where you have various models of phones across various carriers so that you provide a little something for everyone. The plan seems reasonable to me. Why would a company that needs to gain more market share concentrate on only one device? It's like only have one bullet in the chamber. You better make sure that your shot is right on the money.

If everything plays out as the rumors suggest, customers at ATT & Sprint will have the option of purchasing the Pre or EoS and Verizon will have a different WebOs phone for its customers. What's wrong with options? It seems to me that Palm wants a shot at increasing its market share. What better way to do it than to spread a little WebOs love around to different carriers. And I'm going to assume that Palm will continue to refine the Pre so its not like they have to stop working on the Pre in order to develop the EoS.

And if they do a Pro version of the Pre or EoS as you suggest why does there have to be a memory card slot? Why not just increase the amount of onboard flash memory to 16g or 32g for the Pre on ATT or the Pre 2? 4gs on the EoS maybe reasonable for the target audience. Not everyone wants to store 10,000 pictures and 5,000 songs on a phone.

Palm can and will make a Pre 2 but their plan to have WebOs on multiple devices across multiple carriers makes a lot of sense.
    Last edited by playboy; 07/02/2009 at 11:33 AM.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    Palm hasn't sold 400,000 Pres, until they release their numbers we won't know jack. Already the numbers are from 150,000 to 400,000. I guess another analyst will soon come tomorrow and say a million being sold, lol.
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wprater View Post
    Only one smart phone OS would completely stop innovation. Look what happened when MSFT released IE6.. they all had a party and stopped working on the web browser for years until FireFox forced them to release IE7.

Apple was doing the same thing, they were so far ahead of their time with the iPhone, they stopped innovating. That's why I switched to the Pre, I was sick and tired of sloth Apple (as much as I love their products), and was dying for some competition. We need four major players.

I hope RIM, Android, and Symbian all step up their game. Yes, Im not mentioning WinMo, since I'd never purchase such a device
    Apple stop innovating, they only started selling the iphone 2 years ago and in that space they have introduced 2 different models and 2 different iphone operating systems in that space in 2 years, so much for not innovating. Meanwhile what has Palm done, the only reason they find that they are in the position they are is they've been putting out crap for so long, now that is a company that wasn't innovating. No wonder they had to go in from the ground up and start all over. Apple was also in this position before. If they weren't innovating and staying on top with the iphone, they will find themselves in such a position again.
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nhavar View Post
    Comparing 1.0 products with 1.0 products iPhone 1.0 only sold about 270,000 units it's opening quarter. It was propped up by it's iPod cobranding and the excitement behind having a phone that also had an iPod AND a camera AND had a touchscreen. Critics and users panned it as a crappy phone pretty quickly. It had few built in apps and no app store. It was expensive and for some fragile and buggy. Remember back to all the horror stories of people cutting themselves on sharp edges, on exploding batteries, cracked screens, and bricked phones. Developers railed at the thought of only being able to create web applications for the phone or hack it and possibly brick the phone. Those are the pains that come with a 1.0 product no matter how well thought out.

Apple learned some lessons and have now sold millions of phones world wide over several generations of the phone. Why wouldn't we expect Palm do something similar.

Just looking at the numbers. If the iPhone only sold 270,000 its first quarter and the Pre has already surpassed that - why wouldn't we expect the Pre to end up selling millions of phones over the next two years just like the iPhone did.

Yes, Palm still has to fix the balance sheets, but positive sales of the Pre along with a cut of the profit once the app store opens will certainly help push things in a more positive direction.

One other thing to think about is that given the Pre's optimistic sales numbers maybe it will drive some of the other phone manufacturers to innovate instead of pumping out yet another slightly updated version of their previous line.
    You know the original iphone was 600 dollars and then later 400, how much is the Palm Pre, if anything the Pre should be dramatically outselling the iphone because of its cheaper price. The iphone was universally praised by everyone who used it and spawned many touchscreen phones after it was released. They sold a million units in 74 days, meanwhile we don't know how many Pres have been sold because Palm won't tell us.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adjei View Post
    Apple stop innovating, they only started selling the iphone 2 years ago and in that space they have introduced 2 different models and 2 different iphone operating systems in that space in 2 years, so much for not innovating. Meanwhile what has Palm done, the only reason they find that they are in the position they are is they've been putting out crap for so long, now that is a company that wasn't innovating. No wonder they had to go in from the ground up and start all over. Apple was also in this position before. If they weren't innovating and staying on top with the iphone, they will find themselves in such a position again.
    Why are you here? Seriously. Looking at your posts (which is easy to do by clicking on your username), all you do is defend Apple and talk about the iPhone. Do you really have nothing better to do than troll Palm forums and talk about Apple. If the people in this forum want to live in a fantasy world where the Pre is a nice device, what's it to you? If all you want to hear is wonderful stuff about Apple, got to an Apple forum. Wouldn't that make sense?

Lame.
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    Why are you here? Seriously. Looking at your posts (which is easy to do by clicking on your username), all you do is defend Apple and talk about the iPhone. Do you really have nothing better to do than troll Palm forums and talk about Apple. If the people in this forum want to live in a fantasy world where the Pre is a nice device, what's it to you? If all you want to hear is wonderful stuff about Apple, got to an Apple forum. Wouldn't that make sense?

Lame.
    No actually I don't have anything better to do.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Apple innovate? I don't think they have.
    They just had the job to perfect their original Apple IPhone in my opinion.

I think the APPS did the rest of the work for them. It's made the IPhone into something larger, while Apple just had to "perfect" what they could, by putting in copy/paste and video recording.

It makes sense, because very very limited competition made the IPhone 3G S very similar to the 3G model.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adjei View Post
    No actually I don't have anything better to do.
    It's because of your phone, dude...
    This thread was GREAT!! Such passion on both sides, albeit the iPhone decepticons are wrong.

Pre-autobots, transform!
    Palm III -> Palm m500 -> Zire 71 -> Zire 72 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre Minus -> TWO Touchpads 16gb -. and unfortunately, a Motorola Photon 4G...
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    Then how about you call up corporate and let them know? Or better yet, why don't you start your own company and produce a competitive device?

It always amazes me when people who work at Burger King get on the internet and presume to tell the world what some company needs to do to be successful.

Get over yourself.
    I consult small businesses on a daily basis as a CPA. Smartphones are just a hobby for me. Thanks for the insult though. If you like to actually discuss a topic, then post about it. All you seem to do is make idiotic insults while asking people why they're here. Hopefully your parents explained that to you a long time ago..
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast