Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    The guy just want's to play golf every week without excluding one of his buddies on accident. It is pretty ridiculous that my treo 650 can do group texts but not the pre...
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by cannibal869 View Post
    OK, this is a ghetto workaround -
    if you put a group of contacts into the same "company" and then type the name of that company into the messaging field (bottom left + sign), those contacts will pop up below.
    Unfortunately, it's a very ghetto workaround and not very convenient at all.
    Thanks DUDE!! It works much better and faster than doing this 1 by 1.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    Anyone else tired of posts where people are irate over rediculously trivial points.
    Its not trivial, ITS REALITY!! Get a LIFE bud
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    Anyone else tired of posts where people are irate over rediculously trivial points.
    you're mostly a dumbass.

for those of us who have social lives and like to coordinate events...group texting is essential.

also for those of us who run a large outside sales team...again group texting is essential.
    I've seen this issue in several places (and have been waiting on a resolution since the first day i got my phone). it is at the top of my wishlist.
    Just thought i'd check to see if there have been any developments.
    I coach a couple youth teams and send mass (group) texts multiple times a day... and not having to input each name individually would be a REALLY nice feature.

any developments through updates/app catalog/homebrew/etc????
    isnt this why twitter, facebook, etc exists? If you're texting 20 people something why not go all out and send that same text to everyone you know! and If you don't want certain eyes to see don't allow them to follow you on twitter...I Effin hate twitter by the way. it's stupid
    You can give the web service Jott a try (It used to be free, but it cost money now ).

It allows you to send group sms...you can even dictate text messages. They also have a tool to import contacts from Google.

Here is a list of services that are similar to Jott. They were free at the time this list was posted...
    Last edited by wilderf; 09/23/2009 at 08:51 AM.
    I was actually going to start a thread like this. I play in a band and send out texts to a large group of people every week or so to let them know where I'm playing that night. I used to have the 700WX and I could at least go through my contacts and check each person that I wanted to send the text to as opposed to having to scroll through after selection each person or typing in the name of the next person. Are there really no homebrew apps that allow any kind of texting groups?
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong but don't you still have to select each person individually and retype in the company name every time you want to add a person? I'm pretty sure that is how it would have to be done on my phone. Does not really sound like a true workaround.

You get the same functionality by writing the members of the group on a piece of paper and typing in their names individually. It might actually be easier to do it with the paper. The only benefit to doing it how you describe is that you won't have to carry around a piece of paper. I'm not trying to be mean, just questioning if this is really a workaround at all.
    Well, if you copy the the company name, you would just have to paste it in each contact's info.
    So in order for this to work we would have to be able to set up a Text messaging "DL" of sorts?
    Just two quick points.

1. Treos couldn't do this. However, most people got that really old Palm proof of concept "group message" app that got it done.

2. The lack of this function is killing me as well, and apparently developers have discovered that WebOS is currently incapable of populating a TO: field with more than one user at a time... so painful.

Hopefully, soon <3
    Just waiting for the day my Pre has contacts grouping, and a "speed dial" for text messaging
    thanks for the help Wilderf. I'll check out Jott and see if that will help.

I'd still like to see an app tackle this. I would gladly pay for even just a simple one.

Currently, i have made a couple notes on the Memos app, and just have the note open when i'm sending a text to that group. but i get tired of going back and forth from memo to "to:" box inputting names individually.

here's hoping things develop.
    yes this is an ok work around ..at keast you get all the names in your group in one place you just have to pick them all
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    Use Email. Problem solved
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxLOL View Post
    Problem not solved when you are using your Pre. Still have to select each individual to send to.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou View Post
    This is not currently an option with the Pre.
    not true....

NOT "HP webOS"!!!
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxLOL View Post
    texting is faster...

NOT "HP webOS"!!!
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    i multi text on the pre all the time....

NOT "HP webOS"!!!
    The Hero has a nice implementation of group texting. However, it's messaging interface is not as elegant as the Pre. I love my Pre and hope that Palm adds this feature soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffmcc View Post
    i multi text on the pre all the time....
    Are you sending to a predefined group or are you going through and selecting each contact individually?
    Last edited by BucsnNoles; 10/28/2009 at 12:20 PM.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast