Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi I've been a long Palm supporter and currently have a Centro running Chattermail That I Love using. I want to get the PRE but I am leary of email client from some of the posts I have read. I currently use 5 email addresses for business and update those emails every 15 minutes. Given I have to charge the Centro twice a day but can someone give me input on their experiences. Thanks
    Charles
    What are your "must have" features from ChatterEmail?

The Palm email client doesn't have all the functionality of ChatterEmail but still works very well in my experience. If you store your contacts on Gmail/EAS the Synergy Syncing is completely epic!
  3.    #3  
    I would say The shut down features are a must have and the ability to sync effectively 100-150 emails a day.
    Quote Originally Posted by clohrius View Post
    I would say The shut down features are a must have and the ability to sync effectively 100-150 emails a day.
    I'm not sure what you are referring to with "shut down features" but I can tell you that syncing 200 emails a day is not a problem. You can do that however you like. As they arrive, manually or anything in between.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    I'm not sure what you are referring to with "shut down features" but I can tell you that syncing 200 emails a day is not a problem. You can do that however you like. As they arrive, manually or anything in between.
    you can check your email any way you like as long as you don't mind having to enable airplane mode w/out wifi in order to stop receiving emails. Chatter was superior to the extent that it could be turned 100% off.
    I was leary of the transition from my 755 to the Pre as well, bit it worked out OK.

Chatter in my opinion is alot more robust and kills the Pre email if you do not care about html mail (which is where th Pre shines).

Comparing the 2, the Pre lacks: sleep mode, ability to delete all/read all mail, and the ability to choose a different smtp profile when sending

Most importantly for me, different mailbox colors in summary view.

Pre push email is pretty much like Chatter, and works well..just minus all the bells and whistles of Chatter

Basically its a slimmed down client
    Actually, you can choose a different smtp profile to send emails. You just need to create another account with the email address that you would like to use.
    I miss the color-coded messages from different folders. And I can't get my subfolders to automatically sync.
  9.    #9  
    Thanks for all your Answers. You guys are great!! My last question.
    Do you think there will be a 3rd party app for mail at some time? Or would that be redundant for Palm?
    In my opinion, the email client is alredy rock solid... There shouldn't need any 3rd party

Maybe a 3rd party or hack to make different summry mail box colors, that would be cool
    Quote Originally Posted by clohrius View Post
    Thanks for all your Answers. You guys are great!! My last question.
    Do you think there will be a 3rd party app for mail at some time? Or would that be redundant for Palm?
    I'm going to say redundant if.....

- You don't require advance email right now (I'm going to say 90% of the general market will not but perhaps 50% of previous Palm users may)
    - Palm continues to add additional functionality to the built in client
    - If 3rd party apps have limited access to API
    I'm a huge Chatter fan on my Treo 650 and I had thought of following Marc Blank to Android. You can tell he had a lot to do with the Pre mail client while he was at Palm, but it's too bad he left before the launch. I'm going to stick with the Pre, but these are things I miss about Chatter and the Treo 650:

1. I get 500-1000 emails a day instantly pushing (financial markets related and not all were read/opened) and my Treo would last about 12-14 hours. On the Pre I'm lucky to get 8 hours with an extended 1350 mAh battery and most services/radios shut off. The Touchstone, however, makes charging at work a breeze. Also, Seidio claims they are working on a double-sized battery with a replacement back.

2. Chatter syncs subfolders - Pre will not send notifications in subfolders, you must open the subfolder account first. This is a huge omission for business users who use rules and filters - I have detailed scripts I run with my fastmail.fm accounts.

3. Color-coded mailboxes made the Chatter summary view much better.

4. Chatter had emails numbered so you knew how many more you had to scroll through in a mail box

5. Chatter had mark all read - helpful in large mailboxes

6. SMTP reply address are a kludge on the Pre - as mentioned you have to actually set up the account and set it to not sync - problem is there is a bug and my "dummy accounts" sync anyways.

7. Chatter allowed much easier to customize notifications and scheduling for individual mailboxes.

In the plus column for the Pre is vastly better HTML rendering, better attachment handling, and far superior Exchange support.

I'm hoping some developer can add functionality to the mail client, which I would pay for - I think Palm has more pressing issues.
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    I miss Chatteremail's ability to select multiple emails to move to another folder (and/or to delete). I'm using Outlook Web Access to move emails when I have lots to move, and it's functional but a little bit of a pain. Otherwise I really like the Pre email app's functionality.
    Rob Robinson
    Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755p >> Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    I like Chattermail better then mail on the Pre. I miss being able to select multiple emails and delete them all at once. I have made the switch and will live the beta life again. I guess they got me since a Treo 180.
    Marty
    Handspring Visor -> Handspring Treo 180 That stated it would have Wi-Fi -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650->Treo 700P ->Centro->Pre
    Since our workplace is still using Exchange 2000 and only allowing OWA access, Chatter works for me and Pre email doesn't. I also miss the custom alerts per mailbox and the sleep times.

I've worked with MotionApps a little to get Chatter working in classic, but it still gets stuck at the Connecting... message and won't work properly. Since I added a line to get the Pre, I'll continue to use it and Chatter on my Centro for the time being...
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    The email app is missing a few features, mostly cleanup features. I want to be able to delete all emails prior to a certain date, or all emails period.
    Quote Originally Posted by 98GSR View Post
    Since our workplace is still using Exchange 2000 and only allowing OWA access, Chatter works for me and Pre email doesn't. I also miss the custom alerts per mailbox and the sleep times.

I've worked with MotionApps a little to get Chatter working in classic, but it still gets stuck at the Connecting... message and won't work properly. Since I added a line to get the Pre, I'll continue to use it and Chatter on my Centro for the time being...
    Did you try using port 443 to connect with the Pre (same port as OWA)? The server name was: webmail.servername.com. I'm not an expert on EAS, but it worked for me.
    I agree with what everyone has written about what's missing on the Pre's email app. I miss the refinements of Chatter. Still, so far I've been able to live the Pre's email client. However, there's at least one serious problem with EAS messages in replies and forwards: the formatting is completely gone, and all the forwarded/replied to text is scrunched into one long block of text. Also, some html emails are not rendered properly: all I see is the raw html code. I think if you're not using EAS, email on the Pre is at least acceptable in some ways and pretty good in others.
    I'll add that watching the Pre autosearch the Global Addressbook via my EAS account when I type in a contact name is a thing of sheer beauty. I really laughed out loud the first time it did it. Blows all my coworkers away when they see it.

I'd forgotten all of those nifty little features in Chatter. Of course, it hadn't worked for me (exchange 2k7) for a while, so I'd had time to forget.
    Handspring Visorphone -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Treo Pro -> Pre -> NS4G -> FrankenPre 2
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    Also a long-time chatter user, and for the most part, the advantages of the Pre outweigh the features lost from Chatter. In particular, finally having real HTML email is great-- I get a lot of HTML emails that I almost always delete after a fast real. Now I can do that from the phone instead of having to wait to get back to my desk.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast