Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    So I walked into my local Sprint store (central NJ) last night around 7PM to see if they had any Pre's in stock. I was in and out in 15 minutes with my brand spanking new Pre and Touchstone. I have to say, given all of the criticisms and complaints on this site and others, some people are just way to critical of the smallest things. I have one dead pixel (which is almost dead center, so a little annoying) but no other hardware issues. Within 15 minutes of walking out I was upgraded to 1.0.4 and synced all of my gmail contacts and email. By around 11 PM I had all the apps installed that I wanted or needed, my Facebook contacts integrated, my other email accounts added and synced and pretty much became acclimated to the gestures.

Will there be hicupps? I'm sure. But given all of the posts here, I was expecting a nightmare when trying to find a phone and even more of a nightmare getting a fully functional, non-defective phone. So far, this is the easiest, most fluid phone I have ever owned (my past two smartphones were the Motorola Q and HTC Touch - all dumbphones before then) or played with (other Palms, iPhone, BB, etc).

I am really glad of my purchase, and I have the patience to wait for the fixes for the small things. I can't wait to see what else is down the road.
    That's awesome, dude. Welcome... I'm on day 4 with my Pre. I'm still in shock that I have one kinda...
    Glad you got your pre bro. Any arnt to critical about it. You were expecting getting a defective pre and you did.... DEAD PIXEL out of the box is defective to me haha

Glad you can overlook this little problem and keep rockin that pre!
    SCK Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by reyalsnik View Post
    I am really glad of my purchase, and I have the patience to wait for the fixes for the small things. I can't wait to see what else is down the road.
    I think you have the right attitude. Lots of users on here looking for the Pre to be as polished as the BB or iPhone have become. That took years. Being as this is the first device of its kind for Palm and that this little gem is a 1.0 WebOS device I think they did well. It can only get better.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TMed_ATL View Post
    Glad you got your pre bro. Any arnt to critical about it. You were expecting getting a defective pre and you did.... DEAD PIXEL out of the box is defective to me haha

Glad you can overlook this little problem and keep rockin that pre!
    When I said defective, I really meant all the other issues people are saying are prevelant, like the yellow discoloration or mutiple stuck or dead pixels. One pixel doesn't constitute the whole phone being defective. I was a little ticked that I did notice it until I got home though...damn.
    Congrats, I will hopefully be picking mine up tomorrow and I hope everything goes as smooth as it did for you.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Congrats! The only issue I have on my release day Pre is the amount of heat generated by the battery. i will probably swap it out before the 30 days is up because its starting to get annoying.
    You aren't the one who was surprised by how good of an experience it was, after all of the posts from the vocal few people who had issues.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    You could run that youtube video that supposedly fixes dead pixels. :-o
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedar View Post
    You could run that youtube video that supposedly fixes dead pixels. :-o
    Isn't that just for stuck pixels? When I say dead, I mean black...as in no power to it, it's expired and gone to meet its maker, it's shuffled off this mortal coil, it's run down the curtain and joined the choir invisible...it's an ex-pixel.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    I think you have the right attitude. Lots of users on here looking for the Pre to be as polished as the BB or iPhone have become. That took years. Being as this is the first device of its kind for Palm and that this little gem is a 1.0 WebOS device I think they did well. It can only get better.
    While I agree that it's pretty good for a 1st revision device/OS, the problem is that it must compete with the devices that are already mature. The iPhone had to be competitive when it first came out 2 years ago, and did so with less features than it has now because the smartphone market was smaller.
    The fact that it's a new platform is no excuse if it can't compare to current other devices. We can't wait a year for it to get better or more polished, because then the competition will get better along with it. See what I'm saying? I'm rooting for the Pre, and I'm probably going to pick one up tonight, but you have to compare it to what's current.
    Quote Originally Posted by stubbs View Post
    While I agree that it's pretty good for a 1st revision device/OS, the problem is that it must compete with the devices that are already mature. The iPhone had to be competitive when it first came out 2 years ago, and did so with less features than it has now because the smartphone market was smaller.
    The fact that it's a new platform is no excuse if it can't compare to current other devices. We can't wait a year for it to get better or more polished, because then the competition will get better along with it. See what I'm saying? I'm rooting for the Pre, and I'm probably going to pick one up tonight, but you have to compare it to what's current.
    Are you serious? You are making a statement about a device you don't even own?! "I'm probably going to pick one up tonight." Dude, for one thing... really... the OS kicks @ss. Most *complaints* we see on this forum (and others) are from either TROLLS who need to go iJaculate somewhere else or from people who actually OWN a pre and have expressed hardware concerns.

Now, THAT said... I invite you to take a journey over to the current iPhone 3G S forums and tell me that you're not seeing hardware complaints! Dead pixels, MELTING backs, overheating, horrific battery life, screen discoloration and scratches, and the list goes on.

You know, come to think of it; you're right! The pre does need to "compete with the devices that are already mature" -- and it DOES. Of course, you might know that if you OWNED ONE!
    Quote Originally Posted by wordweaver View Post
    Are you serious? You are making a statement about a device you don't even own?! "I'm probably going to pick one up tonight." Dude, for one thing... really... the OS kicks @ss. Most *complaints* we see on this forum (and others) are from either TROLLS who need to go iJaculate somewhere else or from people who actually OWN a pre and have expressed hardware concerns.

Now, THAT said... I invite you to take a journey over to the current iPhone 3G S forums and tell me that you're not seeing hardware complaints! Dead pixels, MELTING backs, overheating, horrific battery life, screen discoloration and scratches, and the list goes on.

You know, come to think of it; you're right! The pre does need to "compete with the devices that are already mature" -- and it DOES. Of course, you might know that if you OWNED ONE!
    iJaculate, I love that, thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by wordweaver View Post
    iJaculate somewhere else

Pure WIN
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Integrals View Post
    Pure WIN
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowGod View Post
    iJaculate, I love that, thanks.

Wow one vote for coolest internet phrase of 2009. I have pre and love it. Is it perfect? Nope. Is is 10x better than any phone I have ever owned- yep. Is it better than an iphone- dunno but it can do things the iphone can't and vice versa. Enjoy your pre!
    Quote Originally Posted by reyalsnik View Post
    When I said defective, I really meant all the other issues people are saying are prevelant, like the yellow discoloration or mutiple stuck or dead pixels. One pixel doesn't constitute the whole phone being defective. I was a little ticked that I did notice it until I got home though...damn.
    Don't feel bad, I had no dead pixels on my second Pre... until I charged it and bam one showed up. I even have a friend at the Sprint store and I had him find me one that was perfect. It's just something that happens. When version 3 of the Pre is out... I expect it to be "solid" like the 3GS with it's partially dead touch sensors and buttons on the left side some people saw on it's launch. :P

Anyways, welcome to club Pre. You will enjoy your stay. 0

EDIT: Also you might notice as was the case with my Pre, the dead pixels aren't even visible from most angles.
    Quote Originally Posted by stubbs View Post
    ANY new-from-the-ground-up platform/OS that comes out takes tweaking. Period. The iPhone had less features because they needed to be developed - and are STILL being developed on the EXACT same platform 3 years later.

And despite the fact that it needs some tweaking, I, for one, think it's better for me in its current state than anything else I've seen out there. More apps would be nice, but the thing works for me as is. Plus I DO have time to wait because I see even greater potential.
    Quote Originally Posted by -Drifter- View Post
    Congrats! The only issue I have on my release day Pre is the amount of heat generated by the battery. i will probably swap it out before the 30 days is up because its starting to get annoying.
    A swap will do no good. All Pres get hot.
    Quote Originally Posted by ericshmerick View Post
    A swap will do no good. All Pres get hot.
    The only time my Pre gets hot is when it's on the car charger in the sun running naviagtion. Other than that, it gets warm on the touchstone over night. That's it.