Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28
  1.    #1  
    I use my Pre daily and it has been rock solid. No hardware problems that I can see, and it feels no "looser" or "creakier" than the day I got it.

    I'm starting to think the hardware problems are overblown. We have the Apple fanboys who are making things up to make the Pre look bad, and on top of that, most people don't comment when they are happy with a product. Folks tend to comment and make noise when there's a problem. So the maybe 1% of people who are having issues end up making 90% of the noise and it looks really bad for us.

    I find it personally hard to believe that there are so many hardware issues when my Pre has been so incredibly solid; moreso than most other "slider" phones I've played with. This has been a beautiful product for me; hopefully I'm not jinxing myself with this post but I felt I had to speak up for the many of us who haven't had any issues.

    Spread the love!

    -Zorin
  2. #2  
    I would believe the same thing. I was expecting so many problems after reading through this forum for weeks before getting mine. I have been nothing but pleased.
  3. #3  
    I had an issue with mine but I tend to agree with you that some people are very picky. I had a launch day phone and it was very cheap feeling and the screen was very wobbly. I returned it and the newer one is great.

    With that being said people on their 4th phone should just go with a bb or iphone.
  4. #4  
    my only hardware problem was a ridiculously lose slider. even looser than that youtube video you've all seen. with reluctance, the sprint people replaced it yesterday. the new one feels much better- hopefully it'll stay that way..
  5. #5  
    Personally, I hardware problems with my Pre and that is one of the main reasons I returned it. The slider is going get play in it...give it 2 weeks....and I definitely had a few dead pixels but that wasn't a big deal. Keyboard is what did it for me.....
  6. leez's Avatar
    Posts
    136 Posts
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    #6  
    I agree with OP too. In the first couple days my battery life was meh...but that has entirely gone away after a number of charge cycles. I did report some small issues with heating and screen discoloration, but these seem to have mostly disappeared. Half the other problems people describe, I've never even heard of. I saw a really (crappy) article on Gizmodo the other day...it was a poll about Pre build quality. Of course, it was bombarded by bad votes from iPhone fanboys who even admitted it in the comments.

    Of course, Gizmodo is the same site that (while I do love their site most of the time), embarrassed themselves with the Pre-slicing-cheese video.
    Loving the Pre...
    Follow me on Twitter
  7. #7  
    My slider is slightly loose, and I know of the creak ppl talk about, but it hasn't taken away from the device for me. When the phone splits in half I'll start *****ing.
  8. #8  
    Have to agree with OP. I picked up my Pre on day one. I was originally disappointed by the short battery life, but that has greatly improved, whether by battery conditioning or changes made in the os or tweaking the settings. I've never had a phone with a slider so I guess I have nothing to compare it with, but it seems just fine to me.
    Showed it off to a friend of mine who is a long time Apple fanboi, and even he was impressed.
    My only disappointment so far is that is does not slice cheese as thinly as I'd like.
  9. dbett's Avatar
    Posts
    165 Posts
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    #9  
    Anyone who has followed forums for new phones has seen the same thing repeated over and over. I saw it with my 755p, I saw it with the iPhone.

    Heck I even saw it with my prehistoric Samsung i500 Palm based phone. And that thing was built like a brick (still love that phone - gave it to my 4 year old as a toy and even he hasn't broken it.)
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyusaku View Post
    My slider is slightly loose, and I know of the creak ppl talk about, but it hasn't taken away from the device for me. When the phone splits in half I'll start *****ing.
    The slider is slightly loose by design. If it were really tight it would be hard to slide open and would wear out faster.

    Mine is also slightly loose but it stays in the state I put it in; open or closed.
  11. TheCIArr's Avatar
    Posts
    42 Posts
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    #11  
    I totally agree that people are much more likely to complain than give praise.

    The one thing I will say is not perfect is the battery door (but I have no idea how it could be made to prevent squeeking). Eventually, all the pressure placed on the plastic, from sitting on the phone etc, will cause it to and permanently deform (plastic is meant to bend). I just always make sure to take it out of my pocket when I sit down.

    I'm sure a rock solid battery door will be developed for the Pre2 with the profit Palm makes from the Pre and Eos. This is why I will try buy accessories from Palm whenever I can afford to
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckl50 View Post
    Have to agree with OP. I picked up my Pre on day one. I was originally disappointed by the short battery life, but that has greatly improved, whether by battery conditioning or changes made in the os or tweaking the settings. I've never had a phone with a slider so I guess I have nothing to compare it with, but it seems just fine to me.
    Showed it off to a friend of mine who is a long time Apple fanboi, and even he was impressed.
    My only disappointment so far is that is does not slice cheese as thinly as I'd like.
    Hey Chuck feel the same exact way you do...have not had any hardware problems but the only thing is the battery life for me...I havent had my pre for a week yet but I see the battery life just draining every time im using an app or internet...I only charge it once a day around 8 to 10 at night than put it on airplane mode to conserve the battery through the night. Hopefully the battery life will get better as you said. but I love my pre!!!!
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbett View Post
    (still love that phone - gave it to my 4 year old as a toy and even he hasn't broken it.)
    Be careful; there have been stories about kids using their parents' discarded phones to call 911. Deactivated phones can call 911 and it would suck for you to suddenly have the police at your door because your kid had fun making his first real cel phone call.

    Pull the battery if you haven't already.
  14. #14  
    I agree with the OP about the negative comments on the forum. It may seem like the Pre is a horrible device, but its not. It happens on almost every forum. The negative comments far outnumber the positive ones. But that makes sense when you think about it.

    People who have a bad experience are far more likely to post about it. They just need to vent and complain to make themselves feel better about it. If your happy with the Pre, do you come here and post a thread like "My Pre works fine"? No. That's just how it is.

    The Pre isn't perfect, but it isn't nearly as bad as it may seem just by judging at all the negative "My Pre sucks!!!" posts.
  15. #15  
    For the most part I have to agree. I'm even inclined to believe that many of the posts such as, "I love my pre but really just wish it could do, blah-di-blah." The post doesn't sound all that negative but points out to potentials that their "desired/needed" feature is not available in the Pre. My experience on other forums has further jaded my opinion because posters have been rumored to have multiple accounts. Such a poster might start a thread, such as what I cite above, then use their other accounts to reply to the thread. This technique can make a thread appear more legit AND appear as if more people are experiencing a problem.

    The sad part is that I come to these forums to share, learn tips, etc. about my Pre and end up not enojying my experience because nearly every thread has become suspect. The ethical implications of all this are sickening and the sort of, "dream of the information age" is severely tarnished in my eyes.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight_Lauderdale View Post
    Hey Chuck feel the same exact way you do...have not had any hardware problems but the only thing is the battery life for me...I havent had my pre for a week yet but I see the battery life just draining every time im using an app or internet...I only charge it once a day around 8 to 10 at night than put it on airplane mode to conserve the battery through the night. Hopefully the battery life will get better as you said. but I love my pre!!!!
    Personally, I haven't experienced great battery life with a Centro, iphone, or a Pre. But during the past few years, i've changed habits is all. These days i couldn't tell you if something has bad battery life because i charge it frequently. With the iphone, i got docks at home, at work, in car, etc. With the Pre, i had touchstones at home, work, in the car (now the wife's touchstones).

    You say you charge once a day at night? I just think that system doesn't apply to today's smartphones but worked in the past. I do realize some don't have access to a desk at work or even a car or may roam campuses all day, etc. In these cases, the Pre's battery is replaceable.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    For the most part I have to agree. I'm even inclined to believe that many of the posts such as, "I love my pre but really just wish it could do, blah-di-blah." The post doesn't sound all that negative but points out to potentials that their "desired/needed" feature is not available in the Pre. My experience on other forums has further jaded my opinion because posters have been rumored to have multiple accounts. Such a poster might start a thread, such as what I cite above, then use their other accounts to reply to the thread. This technique can make a thread appear more legit AND appear as if more people are experiencing a problem.

    The sad part is that I come to these forums to share, learn tips, etc. about my Pre and end up not enojying my experience because nearly every thread has become suspect. The ethical implications of all this are sickening and the sort of, "dream of the information age" is severely tarnished in my eyes.
    Wow thats insane and sociopathic to create multiple names to agree with yourself on a forum lol
  18. #18  
    After a couple of weeks mine starting shutting off when closing/opening the slider. Added piece of paper and now it's fine.

    Slider is starting to get loose.

    Battery life from day-to-day is very inconsistent. Not quite sure why. I seem to get better battery life away from the house. I have an Airave at home and use WiFi because Sprint data coverage in my house is poor.

    Don't want to return it until we start seeing REV B units.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    end up not enojying my experience because nearly every thread has become suspect. The ethical implications of all this are sickening and the sort of, "dream of the information age" is severely tarnished in my eyes.
    This is true. I also wonder why the Apple fanboys keep doing this. I'm a Mac user and they embarass me regularly.

    It's not like the iPhone is going to be displaced by the Pre. It has a lot of momentum and is a quality device with great software support. If anything, the Pre should be seen alongside the iPhone as another option, not a competitor that threatens to destroy it.

    I wonder why the iPhone users are so insecure. Is it because many of them are Mac users and have had to deal with being "#2" for so long that now that they are finally #1 on the phone side, they take any competition personally?

    I don't really get it; I just sit back and wish the best for both platforms.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    For the most part I have to agree. I'm even inclined to believe that many of the posts such as, "I love my pre but really just wish it could do, blah-di-blah." The post doesn't sound all that negative but points out to potentials that their "desired/needed" feature is not available in the Pre. My experience on other forums has further jaded my opinion because posters have been rumored to have multiple accounts. Such a poster might start a thread, such as what I cite above, then use their other accounts to reply to the thread. This technique can make a thread appear more legit AND appear as if more people are experiencing a problem.

    The sad part is that I come to these forums to share, learn tips, etc. about my Pre and end up not enojying my experience because nearly every thread has become suspect. The ethical implications of all this are sickening and the sort of, "dream of the information age" is severely tarnished in my eyes.
    That may be the case. But people must be bored

    In my case, i wanted the Pre to work out badly. It sure would be cheaper for me if it did as most of my family is with Sprint including the wife.

    It's really just a lot of little things the Pre doesn't do yet (or has bugs with) but adds up to a subpar experience compared to some of the current competition. I'm sure Palm will address these things but by that time we'll be gearing up for the next webOS device.

    I'm fine being on the sidelines for now as i follow along with it playing with my wife's Pre now and then. The other part of me thinks, hey, i stuck with the iphone during its shortcomings..be a shame to give it up now that they FINALLY gave us what was missing. And i guess that's it..i played beta tester with Apple so its too soon to jump to Palm and redo all that with missing features again.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions