1.    #1  
    Ok, Ok, I get it! After weeks of grumbling about yet another series of cables I have to purchase and throw away, I just learned why MicroUSB will be a godsend - this standard is designed to allow two devices to connect without a host! I think this potentially means you could hook up all kinds of devices directly to the Pre: cameras, GPS units, storage, etc. It will really be exciting to see the kinds of applications that start coming out after Palm finalizes the Developer kit.
    Using my Pre to help run: www.at-peace.net

Sharp Zaurus->HP Jornada->Sony Clie T615->Treo 650 (CDMA)->Treo 755p->Palm Pre (Disappointed) -> Iphone4 (Happy)
    Huh? What's the reason for two devices at once?
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by storino03 View Post
    Huh? What's the reason for two devices at once?
    Without speaking specifically about the Pre's capabilities (since I haven't tried it), there are plenty of reasons to want to hook together two "clients" without a host.

For example, you could connect your Pre to an MP3 player and move songs between the devices. Or you could hook the Pre to some other device that has storage (perhaps one with a SD card!) and copy off files.

You could hook up your digital camera and copy down a few pictures for use of your Pre as wallpapers.

A few years ago, I was traveling in Europe and wanted a way to backup the photos on my digital camera's memory card. I had a PDA with me and it would have been nice to just hook my camera to the PDA to download my digicam pics to it (and it's incompatible memory card).
  4.    #4  
    I think this is a big deal, because it potentially means any device with a microUSB port could hook directly into any other device with a microUSB port. When Palm releases their "netbook" running webOS, it would support these devices (i.e. I could plug in my digital camera via microUSB and transfer photos), or you could tether your Pre to another Pre and transfer movies, etc.

The key is the adoption of microUSB as standard and the following phone manufactures just signed agreement to use: Apple, LG, Motorola, NEC, Nokia, Qualcomm, Research in Motion (RIM), Samsung, Sony Ericsson, Texas Instruments. Just need to get camera and GPS manufactures to commit to the same.
    Using my Pre to help run: www.at-peace.net

Sharp Zaurus->HP Jornada->Sony Clie T615->Treo 650 (CDMA)->Treo 755p->Palm Pre (Disappointed) -> Iphone4 (Happy)
    Connector on Pre is microUSB. I think what OP is referring is USB-OTG support. TI chip in Pre has it. Hopefully Palm hasn't disabled in hardware and will add drivers for it down the line. BTW, Treo 800W does support this feature.
    It's a great technology that i've seen rarely implemented.

If we could get the Pre to support USB-OTG and have Mass Storage for camera's that would be amazing.
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about