Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    I came from a windows mobile phone (HTC Touch Pro)
    And one of the great things I liked about the phone was that I didn't have to click through so many menus to start dialing a contact#.

The thing I hate about the Pre is that when opening the dialer application I can't just start dialing someones name through the number pad and having it show up as possible matches. For example, if i wanted to call my contact 'Mike' I would hit 6453 and all the mike contacts would show up and I just click the contact I want and hit send.

It's only a minor annoyance in an otherwise great device.
    You can do it through the keyboard though...
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Of course... you can, I guess I only like sliding that thing out when absolutely necessary.
    You dont even need to open the dialer to find your contacts, just type the M and Mike would come up.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diyeiogt View Post
    You dont even need to open the dialer to find your contacts, just type the M and Mike would come up.
    He wants to do it without opening the slider. Now, a cool on-screen keyboard would fix that issue!
    The dialer should be able to do that but the Pre is very feature light right now.
    My annoyance with the dialer is it's slow to register clicks. Can't tell how many times I have tried to answer a call only to hang up because I didn't get confirmation it took the first key press.

The funny thing is when you want to go into Airplane Mode, the menu disappears so quickly you have no idea where you pressed.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanser View Post
    I came from a windows mobile phone (HTC Touch Pro)
    And one of the great things I liked about the phone was that I didn't have to click through so many menus to start dialing a contact#.

The thing I hate about the Pre is that when opening the dialer application I can't just start dialing someones name through the number pad and having it show up as possible matches. For example, if i wanted to call my contact 'Mike' I would hit 6453 and all the mike contacts would show up and I just click the contact I want and hit send.

It's only a minor annoyance in an otherwise great device.
    I'm right there with you. They definitely need to fix this.
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    He wants to do it without opening the slider. Now, a cool on-screen keyboard would fix that issue!
    YES or enable voice dialing and then I wont even have to take it out of the holster.
    My Voice Dialing won't recognize my voice...
    In the dialer preferences, the second section is called, "When typing in dialpad." There's one option, "Show contact matches" On/Off.

Does setting this to "On" do what you want?

The User Guide says the following:

Show Contact Matches
    By default, when you have the dial pad displayed but you’re using the keyboard to enter a
    phone number, only numbers are entered. You can set a preference, however, so that typing
    on the keyboard with the dial pad displayed enters both numbers and letters and performs a
    search of names in Contacts.

1. Open Phone .
    2. Open the application menu and tap Preferences.
    3. In Show Contact Matches, tap On or Off.

You still need the slider open. When this is set to "On", if you're in the dialer, start typing a number or name on the slide-out keyboard and it starts looking up the contact just like universal search. When this is set to "Off" only the number keys work on the slide-out keyboard. I actually like it "On".

While I agree this would be nice if it looked up the contact without the slide-out keyboard, I don't see how there would be room on the screen for the list of contacts plus the dialpad.
    Last edited by ronlongo; 06/30/2009 at 09:37 AM.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    I set up speed dials for my top 5 most dialed people, so in the dialer all i have to do is hold the 4 button down, or 5 etc.. and then it calls. I agree with you though on opening the keypad. There are some other cool options though for enter 4 digits and having the phone auto fill in the rest. I also wish the dialer would auto-quit after a call has ended.