Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    300,000 -- wow! Although, I wouldn't be too surprised. I think there are PLENTY of consumers like me -- people who just never felt that the iPhone (or some other smartphones) were a comfortable fit and were chomping at the bit to jump to a device that addressed the multi-tasking needs of business while providing expansive potential for entertainment needs ('cause the apps are coming).
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    A Skeptic Sees Strong Sales of Palm’s Pre - Bits Blog - NYTimes.com

Edward Snyder, a cell phone industry analyst with Charter Equity Research, often plays the role of cautious pessimist. For instance, he questions whether smartphones or data services will catch on as much as carriers hope, and he unreservedly criticizes what he characterizes as their underperforming cellular networks.

So the report he issued Monday bears notice. Mr. Snyder said that his sources in the manufacturing and retail channels indicated that Palm had sold 300,000 phones — considerably higher than some estimates by analysts — and that the company was struggling to keep up with demand. Mr. Snyder estimates that the company now is producing 15,000 units a day and will ship one million phones to Sprint in the first full quarter of production.
    If true, Palm really needs to get the ball rolling on that public sdk release to build on that momentum and somewhat neutralize the often repeated "it's over 50,000!!!!!!!11111" by some very vocal circles.

Release it within a month, not at the end of summer.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Sorry, Sky. Didn't see your thread. I swear that the front page gets taken up with nothing but gripes. It seems like many things of value get buried.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Plus this has big implications for Palm stock. Glad I didn't sell during Friday's short squeeze. Did you notice he said "one million in the first quarter?" I think the last estimate I saw was like 400,000 for the quarter.
    Snyder may be right on this, but he has been a lousy analyst for 15 years. He was wrong on CDMA's success, and he has been negative on Qualcomm and the CDMA carriers ever since.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meriwether View Post
    Snyder may be right on this, but he has been a lousy analyst for 15 years. He was wrong on CDMA's success, and he has been negative on Qualcomm and the CDMA carriers ever since.
    LOL! Well then, he has truly earned his "skeptic" credentials. And one would have to believe that if he is THAT cynical he must have some really good sources to be able to turn him around like that on the Pre.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    15k/phones a day, thats crazy. Its great to see competition.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    The other amazing thing is that both Sprint and Palm have just started their national TV campaigns. These numbers are early adopters who are more in the know or technophiles.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SharonW View Post
    LOL! Well then, he has truly earned his "skeptic" credentials. And one would have to believe that if he is THAT cynical he must have some really good sources to be able to turn him around like that on the Pre.
    As a skeptic...I cringe when someone uses cynic and skeptic interchangeably.
  11.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by SharonW View Post
    Plus this has big implications for Palm stock. Glad I didn't sell during Friday's short squeeze. Did you notice he said "one million in the first quarter?" I think the last estimate I saw was like 400,000 for the quarter.

Hi Sharon,

For what it's worth, a finance professor I had back in grad school had 4 golden rules of investing. One was "You never make a cent until you sell."

To all those who rode Palm's rocket ride stock increase this year, I hope that you take some of those returns off the table and lock in your gains.

Oh, and congrats on buying both the stock and the Pre!

Lawrence
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanser View Post
    15k/phones a day, thats crazy. Its great to see competition.
    My niece & nephew-in-law just got theirs last night in Houston. He is a Best Buy employee so he had to wait before he could buy, but there was still a waiting list to get the phones. This morning she was already texting w/pictures, had imported music, changed some ringtones--she says she will be using the SprintNav later today.

She came from the BB, but said she has had no problems adjusting to the new keyboard.

Don't forget, they will soon be ramping up for Australia, Canada, & Europe.

Cheers
    300,000 sounds right when you consider they've sold 5 just to me when you count all the returns and exchanges.
    I've seen speculations before but not on the number of apps downloded. I mean how many pre owners haven't downloaded the top two apps accuweather and pandora which are at at arounf 284k and 233k. Do you think people acyually get this phone and not download any apps? Also consider that when you download an update for a program it counts as another download. This isn't meant to be FUD in anyway as I love my pre. Just an honest observation after i've been drinking.
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    I know people with iphones that have never downloaded apps on them.. so yes, there's probably some people that don't download apps.
    -mark
    Joke answer: All of them.
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    and sales of the Palm Pre reached just 205,000 units despite it getting lots of media attention, according to Gartner.

Apple Impresses as Smartphone Sales Grow - PC World
    That number is WAY off.
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    That might have been the launch but there are atleast 331697 phone out there now.... thats the number of times the accuweather app has been downloaded. And even that is a very lowball figure because not every person out there with a pre has downloaded that app.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast