Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    My pre just informed me (through a message I have never seen before) that as soon as my phone begins charging it will update to version 1.04...

Is this the implementation of auto update palm had been promising?
    Last edited by Hook_em; 06/29/2009 at 10:12 PM.
    Sounds like it... if you really want to stop it:
    pre dev wiki: Blocking Updates
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Ok so it is confirmed--

LITERALLY, the second I put the Pre on the touchstone, the 'system update' gift box icon popped up with a notification that reads "System update now available, install will start in 10 minutes"

Anyone else forced into updating to 1.04 yet?
    I plugged and unplugged my phone several times while trying to get the USB drive to work, got the message about updating each time, declined the first two, but it did the update after the third plug-in. Didn't seem to take any time at all and caused no problems.
    They've said all along that it'll be forced. You get 3 chances to say "Install Later" and after the third time it'll be forced. The only reason you didn't see the same thing on 1.0.3 is because you updated before the Pre checked (which I believe it does once a week), probably because you saw a post about it here.
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    Awesome! This means that developers can count on all WebOS users to have the latest OS installed on their phones and can immediately take advantage of the latest software API without worrying about previous versions of the OS.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBinOK View Post
    I plugged and unplugged my phone several times while trying to get the USB drive to work, got the message about updating each time, declined the first two, but it did the update after the third plug-in. Didn't seem to take any time at all and caused no problems.
    Rishi O.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Ya, I figured it was time anyway to install. Got two homebrew apps though before the update forced its way into my shiny little pre. Now lets hope we can find another work around
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmogren View Post
    Sounds like it... if you really want to stop it:
    pre dev wiki: Blocking Updates
    Or another option is not charging your Pre.

HAH.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedar View Post
    Or another option is not charging your Pre.

HAH.
    .....for 8 hours
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    .....for 8 hours
    Are people serious about this? Mine always lasts about 25-30 hours...
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    I'm joking actually. Battery life for me is good at my house.
    But when I'm going with my parents to where they work (almost in middle of nowhere), then my battery gets chopped away by 1 or 2 bars/weak signal.
    Global Posts
    173 Global Posts
    any1 try turning off their phone and putting it on the charger to see if it will still try to update?

edit: it will just turn your phone back on and prompt you to update now or later
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmogren View Post
    Are people serious about this? Mine always lasts about 25-30 hours...
    I can go from an unplug at 11am to 6pm @ 20% with push email all day with my Seidio extended battery. That is ok in my book, certainly not great.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    I can go from an unplug at 11am to 6pm @ 20% with push email all day with my Seidio extended battery. That is ok in my book, certainly not great.
    umm...i can go from 7am to 7 pm and still have 20 percent and I only use the battery that came with the phone...plus i have push email and all that good stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Hook_em View Post
    My pre just informed me (through a message I have never seen before) that as soon as my phone begins charging it will update to version 1.04...

Is this the implementation of auto update palm had been promising?
    Yes. Resistance is futile.
    I still haven't received any notification about the update, and I've rebooted, charged my phone, been on wifi, etc.

I wanna see how long it takes to notify me.
    I got mine this morning. Thought i could skip it by connecting it to my computer and selecting USB mode. No luck. Once disconnected it started right away

Edit: actually it looks like i did skip the update. Just looked at my device info and it says 1.0.3. When it told me it would start Downloading i connected it back