Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    257 Global Posts
    Where do I start?!
    - Bluetooth turning on and off as phone calls came in thanks to PowerHero
    - Cell turning on and off in weak area's (PowerHero)
    - Press-and-hold buttons to start an app (Butler)
    - Tasks and Memo's that sync to the computer AND have alarms!
    - DateBK6 (i.e. calendar speed, icons, and other advancements) and it's advanced snoozing of alarms!
    - External Memory card!
    - File Management (Filez for example) as well as the ability to do slideshows and move photo's from album to album.
    - DIVX and XVID video support (third-party player)
    - SplashID with Syncing
    - Bonansi (outlining application)
    - Docs-to-Go
    - Contact Groups!!!!
    - Volume boost (thanks to Phone Tech.)
    - D-Pad --> TealOS did amazing stuff with this!

I'm hoping that a lot of my "missing" functionality will be restored in the Pre since it comes from very well done, consumer third party applications/hacks.
    --WhoAmI--
    Sprint Palm Treo 700p with MR --> Palm Pre

T-Money is now available for the webOS! Financial planning has never been easier.
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo View Post
    I miss my Treo apps. Soo many I love and now they are all gone! I refuse to pay for classic at a beta stage. It is too expensive for what it is right now.
    Classic blows. I tired it and here's the issue. 99% of Palm OS apps were stylus dependent. They'll run under "Classic" but our Pre screens are made, nor calibrated for this sort of input and it simply doesn't work. I have a diet/excercise app that I loved (no, not Diet and Excercise Assistant, it sucks) and I have two different golf games that I can't use. I've tried them. Again, they'll operate...you just can't control them. I've asked BWM (the diet thingy) how soon they'll have a WebOS version and it's unknown. I even sent them a donation!

So...I love my Pre, it works great. The OS is the freakin' best. But I DO miss some apps that were critical to my life.

Oh....memory expansion and some type of one-handed control.

bj
    I don't have a Pre yet. I'm glad I decided to wait and see what real world usage showed. But what I would miss, mostly, (in no particular order) are:

Robust, full feature PIM apps (esp. Datebk6 and TakePhone)
    Syncing of tasks and notes
    The ability to backup everything, when and where I want
    Indicator light
    5-way
    One hand usage
    Full cut, copy and paste
    Video recording, even if I only use it occasionally
    The best keyboard of any smartphone (the 755p)
    3rd party app availability
    Downloading files and images
    custom ring tones (by caller and profile) and alerts
    Custom profiles (those 3rd party apps, again)
    Blazer -- yes, it's slow, but the built in page optimization is so much easier than constantly zooming in and out to read text, then scrolling left and right and up and down, and over and over.

I don't know why Palm threw out the baby with the bath water, but they did. They gave up on their heritage in order to try to compete with the iPhone, the the Pre is worse off as a result.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    I miss:

1) takephone
    2) butler

(yes in that order)

hopefully Shimon can whip up a takephone ASAP!
    Last edited by trim81; 06/30/2009 at 08:53 AM.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Here is my short list from my Treo 800w:

D-Pad It would make life on the Pre so much easier.
    File explorer/ browser
    Free games ex. sodoku, solitare
    IM apps.

Why can I only use google talk and AIM? Who uses AIM these days? I rely on MSN messenger to keep in contact throught the day with coworkers and Yahoo messenger for friends.
    i500 --> Treo650 --> PPC6700 --> MotoQ --> Instinct --> Treo800w --> HTC Mogul/Palm Prē
    @meyerweb jump to the Pre...I am sure you will like it

Being an avid Palm OS user myself, the first 2-3 days of readjusting was kind of cranky, but after that you will see that the Pre is a definite upgrade from the treos
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    copy paste

text fwding

video

ease of calling back last number..

keypad size

the main ones..
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    I'm sitting here looking at my Verizon 700p and my Sprint Centro and I agree with the above items from your list. After getting used to the Centro keyboard, I forgot how "roomy" my 700p was. The Centro was close to "pocketable" but the Pre is in another league. I also miss the hackability and apps. Something tells me that even though it's based on Linux, hackability won't be as great. I sorta hope I'm wrong, but I also don't want too many stories of software incompatibility making the phone useless.
    OK, my initial reaction to the question really was - not much. On reflection, there are a lot of little things (for instance, I played Picture Logic all the time, maybe it will come), but things like the rocker, the keyboard, etc were all things that were nice, but I wasn't dependent on them, and I only used 2gb of the 4gb card in my Treo. Overall, after 9 years with the PalmOS, I was ready for a change.

However, the above post is the one that really prompted me to post (and sorry, I'm going to go off topic a little here). You really miss the "hackability?? Wow. I can understand the apps, but if you want to hack the Pre, get busy guy!

Without any extensive programming knowledge, just following the instructions on the developer's WIKI, combined with a little Linux knowledge, I've been able to do all of the following:

• "LoJacked" my Pre, so it sends me an email every 20 minutes telling me where it's at.
    • Set it up so I can SSH into it if it ever "leaves my posession"
    • Make it so it shows me as the owner when it boots
    • Traded the ugly green dialpad for a smooth looking blue one
    • Added IMDb and BibleGateway to the global searches in synergy (probably adding bing.com today)
    • Changed the messaging app so it timestamped messages

And none of that includes the few Homebrew apps I've added.

Folks, this is in three weeks of use. I think the reason I don't have a list of things I "miss" from my PalmOS days is that I'm having too much fun discovering all the extras this phone does in it's current heavily underutilized state. As it matures, it's going to be a blast!
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    I miss:

1) takephone
    2) butler

(yes in that order)

hopefully Shimon can whip up a takephone ASAP!
    Two *really* good apps. On the positive side, I have spoken with Shimon and he is currently working on both iPhone and WebOS versions of TakePhone...and I let him know what version I would be sending him $$$ for.
    pSSH is about all I miss. The facebook app was nice too, but the browser handles it fine on the pre. A Remote Desktop client would be cool as well, but I haven't missed that as much.

(I know about webshell/ running pSSH in classic....I'd still love a pre-specific ssh client.)

Also games, to some extent. Honestly though, I can't imagine playing warfare Inc without a stylus - my fingers are too big.
    I'll be getting a Pre this week. While excited about getting one, I'm NOT looking forward to doing without some of my most-used applications.

- Slingplayer
    - BibleReader
    - Docs To Go (create, edit files)

Hopefully, webOS versions will be out soon.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Things I miss About my Treo (755p):
    Good Mobile Messaging
    The stylus (selecting web radio buttons can be a b17ch!)
    World Clock
    Managing pictures from the phone
    Creating contact categories and assigning rigntones to the category
    Activating my bluetooth earpice would light up the Treo. I could find it in the dark (if it was on)
    Brighter keyboard backlighting
    Keyboard layout
    Calendar -- could set a custom reminder time
    Volume Care -- I have trouble with the handset and bluetooth volume levels.
    My Games:
    Bejeweled, even though it ate through screen protectors
    Solitaire
    Dope Wars (!!) -- we were together since my first Palm PDA!

Things I Don't Miss:
    Good Mobile Messaging -- life's quieter without so much work email around
    Blazer
    Java and Opera Mini which crashed my phone often
    Plugging it in to charge it :-))
    The lost stylus
    Phone crashing when a call came in
    Removing the battery because the device froze
    Small screen
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    I don't know why Palm threw out the baby with the bath water, but they did. They gave up on their heritage in order to try to compete with the iPhone, the the Pre is worse off as a result.
    That is a little harsh. The Treo 755p was the results of many developers over more than a decade. How can they replicate that in 15 months, including totally new hardware and OS? I think we will be very close to the functionality that we were used to in about a year.

Quote Originally Posted by serqet View Post
    Dope Wars (!!) -- we were together since my first Palm PDA!
    Runs fine in Classic.
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    I'm sitting here looking at my Verizon 700p and my Sprint Centro and I agree with the above items from your list. After getting used to the Centro keyboard, I forgot how "roomy" my 700p was. The Centro was close to "pocketable" but the Pre is in another league. I also miss the hackability and apps. Something tells me that even though it's based on Linux, hackability won't be as great. I sorta hope I'm wrong, but I also don't want too many stories of software incompatibility making the phone useless.
    The PalmOS devices were nowhere NEAR as hackable as WebOS is. The whole guts of the phone are so easily accessible it's absurd.

I don't have a Pre yet. I'm glad I decided to wait and see what real world usage showed. But what I would miss, mostly, (in no particular order) are:

Robust, full feature PIM apps (esp. Datebk6 and TakePhone)
    Syncing of tasks and notes
    The ability to backup everything, when and where I want
    Indicator light
    5-way
    One hand usage
    Full cut, copy and paste
    Video recording, even if I only use it occasionally
    The best keyboard of any smartphone (the 755p)
    3rd party app availability
    Downloading files and images
    custom ring tones (by caller and profile) and alerts
    Custom profiles (those 3rd party apps, again)
    Blazer -- yes, it's slow, but the built in page optimization is so much easier than constantly zooming in and out to read text, then scrolling left and right and up and down, and over and over.

You can still get the "blazer experience" by using most sites m.whatever.com page. Blazer was the state of mobile web browsing 10 years ago, and it never changed.

Blazer was awful. Painfully awful.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gompers View Post
    You can still get the "blazer experience" by using most sites m.whatever.com page. Blazer was the state of mobile web browsing 10 years ago, and it never changed.

Blazer was awful. Painfully awful.
    Must agree. After the novelty wore off I never used it because I could never spare that much time.
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    That is a little harsh. The Treo 755p was the results of many developers over more than a decade. How can they replicate that in 15 months, including totally new hardware and OS? I think we will be very close to the functionality that we were used to in about a year.
    Not harsh at all. What they did was waste the efforts of "many developers over more than a decade" by ignoring the functionality that was available on PalmOS devices. I suspect, because they were new to Palm and using iPhones instead.
    Signal...

My 755p could pull in a signal like a sattelitte phone compared with the Pre.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    1.) Emoticons!
    2.) Instant launching of programs.
    3.) Control pad to scroll around the screen.
    Missing Basic Features
    A number of basic features available on your old Treo, iPhone, or other smart phone are not enabled in the Palm Pre. Users often search for these familiar features but they as yet have not been enabled on the Palm Pre.

Typing
    ►The onscreen keyboard has been hidden but has all of the commands below and more.
    ►Undo - You can't undo a mistake in the Pre. On your PC Undo is [Crtl] - [Z], on a Treo press [Menu] - [Z]. When enabled, Undo should be "Press the Gesture Area x and C at the same time." There is no work-around.
    ►Italics - To italicize highlighted text on a PC, press Ctrl - I , on a Treo press Menu - I . When enabled, Italics should be "Press the Gesture Area x and I at the same time." There is no work-around.
    ►Bold - To make highlighted text bold on a PC, press Ctrl - B , on a Treo press Menu - B . When enabled, Bold should be "Press the Gesture Area x and B at the same time." There is no work-around.
    ►Select All - To select all on a PC, press Ctrl - A , on a Treo press Menu - A . When enabled, Select All should be "Press the Gesture Area x and A at the same time."
    ►Copy - You can copy text you are editing (see Typing section) but not text you cannot edit like internet information.

Music
    ►Slider - The slider bar is enabled for playing videos but not for playing music. There is no work-around.
    ►Landscape - You can watch vides in landscape mode (sideways) but not music graphics.
    ►Lyrics - On iPhone or iPod, tap the album graphic for lyrics. Pre Lyrics aren't enabled. There is no work-around.

Indicator Light
    The Center Button is not enabled to light to tell you there was a call, email, text, etc.

And most of all signal strength. I have spoken with the Airave group many times. The Pre gets no signal at all at our house. the RAZR, Instinct, and all the previous Treos had no problem. The Airave fixed that with full bars.

The five different members of the Airave group that I have spoken with all say that they have learned that they don't even need to ask what phone the user is having signal problems with. It is always a Pre.

The signal problems not hardware but software. The Pre is set up to not allow you to roam unless there is no signal at all. So you may have another CDMA tower to roam to that could give you full bars and the Pre is at 5% and the Pre will not let you roam. The Treos could roam then.

At some point, I hope they enable the basic fuctionality of our old Palms.

- Craig
    Global Posts
    554 Global Posts
    the 5 way & keycaps
    http://phwelo.mobi
    for any questions or to send a donation: phwelo@gmail.com
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast