1.    #1  
    hi all

i'm looking for a new phone since my old 1st generation razr is going down the crapper. i'm of course checking out the iphone and the pre.
    so far i really like the pre but i haven't really read a lot about the GPS navigation yet! i'd like a phone that i can use as a "real" GPS in my car.

"sprint navigation" is the GPS system on the pre right? or is it a completely different software like tomtom on the new iphone 3GS?
    - is there additional cost for the GPS?
    - can you attach the phone to the dashboard via GPS accessories?
    - does the GPS work in landscape mode?
    - can it find points of interests like banks, restaurants etc?
    - does it give you multiple routes to choose from?
    - does it automatically update roads/maps?
    - does it re-route in case of traffic jams etc?

sorry for all these questions and thanks in advance!
    Quote Originally Posted by diddiyo View Post
    "sprint navigation" is the GPS system on the pre right? or is it a completely different software like tomtom on the new iphone 3GS?
    - is there additional cost for the GPS? No, Sprint Navigation comes free and it is awesome. Turn by Turn directions with text to speech
    - can you attach the phone to the dashboard via GPS accessories? Not currently, but I am thinking Palm will release an accessory that does it.
    - does the GPS work in landscape mode? No, but to me, it seems weird that people want GPS in Widescreen. I mean, I would I like it as an option, just to be there don't get me wrong, but it seems counter productive to have it in widescreen. When you're driving, you drive straight, and as such the more screen real estate in front of you, the better.
    - can it find points of interests like banks, restaurants etc? Yes
    - does it give you multiple routes to choose from? Haven't delved that deep. Do not know.
    - does it automatically update roads/maps? Don't know
    - does it re-route in case of traffic jams etc? Yes

sorry for all these questions and thanks in advance!
    Hope this helps.
    Treo 650p --> Treo 755p --> Pre
    Here is the full User Guide for Sprint Nav on the Pre. It's awesome. I would always hesitate to use a phone as a standalone GPS just in case you hit a dead zone or roaming, but this is pretty damn close...
    http://navigation.sprint.com/media/s...1_palm-pre.pdf
    Quote Originally Posted by PreFix View Post
    Here is the full User Guide for Sprint Nav on the Pre. It's awesome. I would always hesitate to use a phone as a standalone GPS just in case you hit a dead zone or roaming, but this is pretty damn close...
    http://navigation.sprint.com/media/s...1_palm-pre.pdf
    The user gudie is excellent but 344 pages. Unfortunately many of the best tips are not included. The link below is a compilation of many of the best documented and undocumented tips and tricks.

In summary the Sprint Navigation is a great GPS without the $120 a year subscription. Google Maps GPS is great for trip planning and just seeing whre you are on the satellite maps.

- Craig
  5.    #5  
    thanks guys I appreciate it. That helped me a lot Walter! Thanks.

Have a good day.
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinde View Post
    The user gudie is excellent but 344 pages. Unfortunately many of the best tips are not included. The link below is a compilation of many of the best documented and undocumented tips and tricks.

In summary the Sprint Navigation is a great GPS without the $120 a year subscription. Google Maps GPS is great for trip planning and just seeing whre you are on the satellite maps.

- Craig
    Hey Milo, I didn't see the link you mentioned. Can you repost it?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by diddiyo View Post
    hi all
    ... i'd like a phone that i can use as a "real" GPS in my car.
    In my opinion you are better off with a 100 dollar Garmin if you plan on using it regularly in your car.
    ESPECIALLY if you plan on using the GPS while talking on the phone.
    The Pre (as I understand it, some please correct me if I am wrong - I still have my 800w but have been following this forum) cannot pull down updated maps while you are moving if you are on a voice call.

May not seem to some like a big deal, but when you are running late and need to call ahead, it can serve to make you a bit later!
    Quote Originally Posted by edlex View Post
    Hey Milo, I didn't see the link you mentioned. Can you repost it?

Thanks
    Check out his signature line. It's linked there.
    Quote Originally Posted by jabo View Post
    In my opinion you are better off with a 100 dollar Garmin if you plan on using it regularly in your car.
    The Pre (as I understand it, some please correct me if I am wrong - I still have my 800w but have been following this forum) cannot pull down updated maps while you are moving if you are on a voice call.

May not seem to some like a big deal, but when you are running late and need to call ahead, it can serve to make you a bit later!
    If you will be using it very often, you might want to have a dedicated GPS unit, as recommended by jabo. The Pre gets very warm when the GPS is active. I'm concerned about the life span of the unit if the GPS is used too often. Also, you won't be able to use the GPS with Sprint Navigation if you're not in a data-coverage area. I think the GPS with Google Maps might work, but how will Google get the map data to you without the data-coverage?

I must say that the GPS software (Sprint Nav) is awesome, however. I've had two (older) other GPSs and this one blows them away. I love that it reads out the street names you should turn on (rather than just telling you to turn in .3 miles). I also like how precise it is (in feet). Finally, when listening to music (via Palm music app, not sure about Pandora), it drops the music volume to speak, then raises it back. Well integrated software...
  10.    #10  
    thanks again guys! i'm not planning on using it daily as a GPS. but it would be nice if i could use it every now and then for a weekend trip for example.

Quote Originally Posted by jabo View Post
    i'm one of the few people on the road that don't talk on the phone while driving i might want to get a bluetooth headset tho if i get a new phone.

Quote Originally Posted by rhong View Post
    The Pre gets very warm when the GPS is active.
    mh, that's a bit concerning when you think of all the problems the pre is having right now...
    I put up a review in the App Reviews section. I got a phone call while navigating and it will resume when done. However, you won't see the route if it is more complicated than drive 20 more miles on this road, that is an issue.
    I may be a sample of one here, but I tried using my GPS the other day in a pretty densely populated city, and it was nearly worthless. I had the phone still, but even so, the voice kept saying I was "off route," and map was indicating I had taken turns that I hadn't taken. Don't know if it was due to signal drops or what, but for this reason I would definitely recommend not using this as a primary GPS if you use GPS a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by smedley12 View Post
    I may be a sample of one here, but I tried using my GPS the other day in a pretty densely populated city, and it was nearly worthless. I had the phone still, but even so, the voice kept saying I was "off route," and map was indicating I had taken turns that I hadn't taken. Don't know if it was due to signal drops or what, but for this reason I would definitely recommend not using this as a primary GPS if you use GPS a lot.
    That's interesting. It has never happened to me, but I've heard of this happening to others. This may be obvious, but was your Pre's GPS hardware turned on in the settings (I think you can't even operate Sprint Nav without it being on, but I thought I'd ask just in case.) I know that if that GPS hardware isn't on, and it has to use CDMA tower triangulation, it won't have as precise a location as the GPS hardware would provide. I guess if the GPS couldn't acquire connections with enough satellites (poor line of sight with the sky), then it would be imprecise in that case too.
    Yep, GPS is turned on. Maybe it does have something to do with poor line of site to the sky? Weird. I'll try it a few more times before I give up, but the couple of times I did try it, it was just sort of distracting. Bummed because I was really excited to have GPS.
    Something else I noticed and posted in another thread...
    I noticed that my Sprint Nav updates / speaks out directions and street names even when the screen is turned off and multitasking (not the foreground application). I did this to conserve batteries, since we all know the Pre has battery drain issues, and was pleasantly surprised when it still navigated me with the screen off.