Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    I recently got a Curve on Verizon, I was strongly considering switching to Sprint for the Pre, but ended up deciding against it. The main reason was because I live in an IPCS (affiliate) area of Sprint, meaning we don't have 3G at all, and the stores had no idea when they were actually getting Pres in stock.

I am happy with my curve, going from a dumb phone to a smartphone has been amazing, but I am still very interested in the pre. It just seems like this will be one of the top platforms of the future. Somewhere someone said it is the OS X of phone OSs, (which is ironic ). I bought my curve outright on ebay, so I will be eligible for an upgrade in March, which means it should be availalbe on Verizon's network by the time I am eligible.

Anyways, the point of this post is to get people's impressions with the phone. I've been reading a lot about the Pre, both here and just about any review I can get my hands on. I am really not concerned about lack of apps or software glitches. I can even deal with lower battery life. All of these things will be fixed eventually with OS updates (or can be solved with an extra REMOVABLE battery ).

My main concerns are with the hardware. At first I was really glad I didn't switch because I was reading reports of cracking screens, bad reception, catching sliders, phones rebooting when sliding, and loose screens. All sorts of nasty stuff that can't be fixed w/ OS updates and makes me hesitant to enter into a 2 year agreement with this phone.

However, it seems like a lot of these issues may be due to poor quality control on the first batch of phones. It seems like there are less reports of things like cracked screens and whobbly screens (the ars review alluded to this - first test phone wobbled, 2nd one and the phone he bought did not).

So what are your experiences? Are these just flaws in manufacturing, trying to get the phone out quickly, just simply minor flaws in a first time production of a product, or are these real issues that I should be concerned about?
    Buy it you wont look back... I'd say the number of phones with hardware issues and the number of perfect phones is 100 to 1 if not more....
    palm m103 > palm m130 > palm TlX > 755p > PRE (FINALLY!!!!)
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    I got my Pre during the launch date. I didn't have the problems that have been reported by others. It's a good phone. You should get yourself one.
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    Get a line and pre, with sprint, test the service area and phone yourself, you have a 30 return period.

Then if you like it port your number

If your only looking for opinions on the hardware, read the forum there must be hundreds opinions posted good and bad? surely you can make your mind up from those?
    Last edited by sjjones; 06/29/2009 at 08:21 PM.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    What is your battery life like? I've been streaming radio on my curve a lot and I've been making it through the day without charging. Is this doable? I guess I can always just keep it pliugged in at my desk during the day if need be.
    The Pre does not have as good of battery life as the curve. But, it's got a lot more to offer in my experience. Just get one and try it for 30 days. There is no risk. Service coverage is always a huge factor...only you can determine that though.
    Palm Pre
    (formerly TouchPro, iPhone 3G, Curve, 8800, Treo800p, E61, N9300, Treo 700p ,Treo 600, I500, I330, Treo 300, I300, 6035)
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    I would try it if Sprint had 3G in my area, but unfortunately they do not. I am going to have to wait until March for my verizon upgrade. This is promising feedback so far though. Keep it coming (good or bad).

BTW, I am not expecting the battery life to be like my curve, I can live with that though. I have a USB port and a car charger near me the majority of the day. As long as it can make it through the day with normal usage (some phone calls, web surfing, email, etc). I consider radio streaming to be heavy usage.
    You will always have a disproportionate number of problems if you really only read these forums. Most satisfied people don't even bother reading
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    That is probably true. I usually end up researching purchases way too much and end up finding problems with every option. I have found that the majority of the time the problems people report are few and far between. I am just hoping that applies in this case.

The one thing that really scares me about this phone is the cracked screens. That would be really bad, but again reports of that happening seem to have died down considerably.
    Besides, if you're really that scared, there's the 1 year warranty and the $7 insurance.
    Quote Originally Posted by skaeight View Post
    I would try it if Sprint had 3G in my area, but unfortunately they do not. I am going to have to wait until March for my verizon upgrade. This is promising feedback so far though. Keep it coming (good or bad).

BTW, I am not expecting the battery life to be like my curve, I can live with that though. I have a USB port and a car charger near me the majority of the day. As long as it can make it through the day with normal usage (some phone calls, web surfing, email, etc). I consider radio streaming to be heavy usage.
    You'll be fine as long as you don't need your phone for heavy email. A lot of features are lacking in the email application that your curve had. That's probably the biggest downside to the Pre, but I'm coming from multiple blackberrys and windows mobile. I thought it may have been a deal breaker for me but I've gotten accustomed to its few shortcomings and will let the product mature before i make a final decision, since everything else is AMAZING.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Email is actually something that I think will be better on the pre. I use Gmail, and bb gmail support is just ok. It does not do 2 way read synchronization (read or deleting on phone is instantly replicated to server, but not the other way around. If I delete on the server it will replicate several hours later to the phone, and reads do not replicate at all). There is also no support for folders/labels.

I've learned to accept these limitations, but I was somewhat disappointed because that's what I thought that BBs were supposed to be best at.
    Good points. I do use gmail on my Pre (and on the Blackberry I carry for work) and I do enjoy the synchronization the Pre offers. I was specifically referring to things like message search, delete prior, multiple selections, mark prior opened, and being able to change the font size (I would love to see 20+ emails on one screen). Also cool shortcuts like n for next, u for next unread, t for top, b for bottom, etc. One feature I DO like that the Pre has is the 'flagged' view where you can see all flagged messages in one place. That rocks.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    What about reception? I saw some early reports of reception issues? Is there anything to this, or where those isolated incidents?
    If you're not going to buy until March, why don't you just wait and keep reading the forum. By then you'll know if the issues are just teething problems or inherent in the design, as well as what Sprint and Palm are doing about the problems. You'll even know if Palm DOES fix the bugs and software issues, and what 3rd pasty app support is like.

Seems to me you're a bit ahead of yourself.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    True, but hardware is something they may or may not be able to fix with the current phone. Just curious what it is like now.
    The price is right. The Sprint store guy hooked me up with all kinds of discounts. $250 instant (off $549.00) ((waiting for $100mail-in)).
    $50 accessory credit (Got a car charger and Touch Stone for about $50 m ore then the Pre-Central store) 10% off bill forever. (he asked where I worked, I said "disabled". He asked where I banked and hooked me up) I think you can get as high as 24% off monthly bill depending where you work?
    The WiFi works great but I have a weak 3G signal when they told me I was in a strong 3G area. Sprint is sending me a free Airave relay antenna that will hook to my wireless and will waive the $4.95 monthly fee.
    The phone feels solid and is beyond expectations.
    The Pre works extremely well. For me it's the e-mail and Synergy that really shines (especially EAS/Gmail). Big step forward from the iPhone setup and I would not hesitate to buy again. Sprint 3G coverage in my area (St. Louis) is wonderful which likely contributes to my enjoyment.

That said if you are coming from a BB then the alert/ring tones are going to be a let down at the moment. Very restricted. Sounds like this might be changing but that is my biggest compliant.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    This didn't make me feel a whole lot better:

http://www.precentral.net/palm-pre-hardware-issues

I just don't remember seeing this volume of issues with any other device. Hopefully they make some minor revisions to the hardware or come out with Pre2 for next year which address these issues. I've got plenty of time to wait and see