Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    coming from a 700p and 755p. BOTH showed the state when someone calls... like if someone called from 402-xxx-xxxx it would say Nebraska. this comes in handy BIG time with my business calls. is there an app for this or do you think it will be added in a OS update?????
    yeah, even my crappy cricket phone had this thing. I kinda miss it on my newer one and will appreciate it for the Pre once I get mine shipped.
    Last edited by d2globalinc; 07/09/2009 at 10:32 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by d2globalinc View Post
    A solution that requires rooting the phone hardly qualifies as "your wish is granted.' The majority of us are not Linux geeks. It doesn't seem unreasonable to expect that a $500 phone have a basic feature that most throw away phones include.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    posting a solution to a feature that people want is what it's all about. if you want to have a phone that has only features that steve jobs wants you to have w/o flexibility, go for an iphone.

thanks a lot D2. you made my week!
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    A solution that requires rooting the phone hardly qualifies as "your wish is granted.' The majority of us are not Linux geeks. It doesn't seem unreasonable to expect that a $500 phone have a basic feature that most throw away phones include.
    Wah wah wah...I want all the features my phone that has been on the market for 10 years has had time to develop right now, along with all the new features that this new phone has brought to the table. I am an American and I want it all right now, I am not willing to wait a few months! End wah.
    Well, if you want to wait, I'm sure the feature is coming in a future update - the code is already in the device, and they just have to push it into the display areas. You also don't have to be a "linux geek" to be able to add any of these great feature additions floating around the forums to the phone. There are plenty of great HOWTO's to walk any windows only user through the process. Heck, even our little howto we link to in the previous post is a simply copy and paste, no coding, no linux geekness needed..

I for one tho will take this device that I can adapt to anything I see fit over anything else out there..

I've seen at least 3 users already who have 0 linux experience add plenty of new features to their Palm Pre's.. There are plenty of people also willing to help others in these forums accomplish these tasks as well. The community of these and other forums, in my book, only add more value to the Palm Pre.

-D2G
    Hardly seems like that big of an issue anyways...
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    i feel like a mod, dude there's a thread about this on THIS page....right now!!
    can we better moderate these forums please?!?

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...how-state.html
    Quote Originally Posted by d2globalinc View Post
    Well, if you want to wait, I'm sure the feature is coming in a future update - the code is already in the device, and they just have to push it into the display areas. You also don't have to be a "linux geek" to be able to add any of these great feature additions floating around the forums to the phone. There are plenty of great HOWTO's to walk any windows only user through the process. Heck, even our little howto we link to in the previous post is a simply copy and paste, no coding, no linux geekness needed..

I for one tho will take this device that I can adapt to anything I see fit over anything else out there..

I've seen at least 3 users already who have 0 linux experience add plenty of new features to their Palm Pre's.. There are plenty of people also willing to help others in these forums accomplish these tasks as well. The community of these and other forums, in my book, only add more value to the Palm Pre.

-D2G
    I am with D2 on this one. I have NEVER and i mean NEVER had any experience with this however, the way D2 has it set up to copy / paste and with the help of others on the forum, its made it EASY as PIE!!!

Seriously the forums will walk you through it. Thanks to EVERYONE!!!!

I am here all the time now checking to see if D2 has updated or added anything. I think I have become addicted to this site now!~! LOL

Most of the features I had and missed on previous phones I now have on my Pre thanks to the forum and D2's help!! Cant say thanks enuf D2 for your posts and help!

A big KUDOS to you ALL!!!!
    Well if you have a better way, please share-
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    meyerweb = fail.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    I guess if you don't want to root, you'll have to wait for an easy "button clicking program" that will let you alter the code.

This is my first time doing anything Linux, and I was able to root and make my e-mail sidewayz in under 60 minutes. There are very clear, simple, easy to follow instructions if the state problem is that major.

Edit: nevermind, didn't realize meyer wasn't OP.
    Quote Originally Posted by though View Post
    meyerweb = fail.
    Seriously! I mean I know Meyerweb claims to be a long time Palm fan, but he's about as negative as Gekko was. As I recall from past posts he claims to be here because he wants to keep up on what Palm's doing but his posts do little other than bash the Pre. Nothing like inconsistency. The proof is always in the pudding.
  15. enjoyingsilence
    Quote Originally Posted by Inline325i View Post
    I am with D2 on this one. I have NEVER and i mean NEVER had any experience with this however, the way D2 has it set up to copy / paste and with the help of others on the forum, its made it EASY as PIE!!!

Seriously the forums will walk you through it. Thanks to EVERYONE!!!!

I am here all the time now checking to see if D2 has updated or added anything. I think I have become addicted to this site now!~! LOL

Most of the features I had and missed on previous phones I now have on my Pre thanks to the forum and D2's help!! Cant say thanks enuf D2 for your posts and help!

A big KUDOS to you ALL!!!!
    I agree with this. It is NOT hard to root the pre. As a matter of fact, you DO NOT have to do the SSH thing, and "secure your pre" IF YOU DO NOT enable remote access via EVDO. Additionally, if you turn off developer mode, using the konami code (it has an on/off switch), it can't be remotely accessed anyway. Having developer mode enabled, without enabling remote access via the evdo interface (aka ppp0 I think), means only someone in YOUR network can access your phone, and I'm pretty sure, they'd have to know exactly what they were doing...

So there's a number of steps you can skip, during the rooting process.

Honestly, the pre dev wiki does an excellent job of giving code - step by step. You can copy and paste each line, walking it thru. It's quite simple.

What the pre dev wiki does not do, is detail what the individual switches do, such as "-o", actually do, and individual variations.

Personally, I did not install the sudo commands.... I'm not experienced with linux per se, however I'm comfortable enough with linux enough to know, if I'm copying and pasting something, while connected (telnet(ted)) as root, I'm not going to fudge something up.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    Seriously! I mean I know Meyerweb claims to be a long time Palm fan, but he's about as negative as Gekko was. As I recall from past posts he claims to be here because he wants to keep up on what Palm's doing but his posts do little other than bash the Pre. Nothing like inconsistency. The proof is always in the pudding.
    So I'm not the only one who noticed...