Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    780 Global Posts
    I picked up my Pre a few days ago and have some of the usual hardware issues that are common so I won't bother with those.

First the good stuff:

- I really like the UI
    - Great screen
    - Love the browser
    - Email seems to work great
    - I adapted to the keyboard after about 1 day
    - WIFI works well
    - Nice camera

Issues that are a real problem for me:

- Calendar app freezing...nothing like being with a client and scheduling a few meetings and have the Pre freeze after the first one is entered. The longest this has lasted is about 4 hours if I just leave it alone.

- All of my roughly 500 memos transferred from my Palm Desktop but there is no search making the built in app pretty useless. I have tried Evernote on the Pre but there is no search for that either from the Pre side.

- I am so used to scheduling tasks with alarms but since that functionality is not there I am putting tasks into the calendar. This works but really clutters up the calendar with other than appointments.

As I read these forums, it seems like people have a lot of faith that these types of issues will be addressed by Palm. Is that based on something Palm has publicly said? I have been using Palm products for over 10 years and they are not exactly known for their updates.
    Alot of things will probably be fixed by Palm. Third-party apps will also definitely add features to the Pre. Just gotta give it some time and hope... The Pre and WebOS are still very new.
    Quote Originally Posted by eharty View Post
    As I read these forums, it seems like people have a lot of faith that these types of issues will be addressed by Palm. Is that based on something Palm has publicly said? I have been using Palm products for over 10 years and they are not exactly known for their updates.
    Not really, but 3 updates from launch date seems to be different policy, isn't it?
    You are right Palm isn't known for their updates. What we have gotten so far is underwhelming. We shall see if they will actually do what is necessary to keep the Pre competitive. I know one thing the general lag throughout the OS and especially in the browser and calendar need to be fixed. Palm also needs better community relations and let us know what they are working on. The silent treatment doesn't serve them well.
    Global Posts
    780 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    Not really, but 3 updates from launch date seems to be different policy, isn't it?
    I have to agree with you there.

It sure would be nice if Palm would tell us what issues they are working on. No dates, just a list so we know what is on their radar.
    Global Posts
    780 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    You are right Palm isn't known for their updates. What we have gotten so far is underwhelming. We shall see if they will actually do what is necessary to keep the Pre competitive. I know one thing the general lag throughout the OS and especially in the browser and calendar need to be fixed. Palm also needs better community relations and let us know what they are working on. The silent treatment doesn't serve them well.
    You would think they would be all over these issues and maybe they are. They have a lot of competition from RIM and WM devices even though their UI's are old and rusty. And speaking of old, I still have an old 755p to fall back on if need be. It isn't pretty but it is extremely productive.
    I'll fix one problem for you, while in the memo app just start typing to perform a search of memos.
    It takes time to do SW work. The last thing they want to do is release an update that causes more problems. Like deCorvett said, 3 updates in less than a month is pretty good.

Each update will probably be small with a few things in it. Otherwise it would be two months between updates with many features added in...which would you choose? I know which I prefer.

Another thing I saw which I liked taken from: http://forums.palm.com/palm/board/me...thread.id=4117

Information hasn't been published to the site yet. Palm released an official notice to Sprint, and I heard about it from my corporate account rep. According to Palm:

Fixes:
    Unauthorized applications could be installed without having physical access to the device

Looks like a security update.
    Which hopefully that means they don't have to ask for permission from Sprint everytime they release an update...a la WinMo.

- All of my roughly 500 memos transferred from my Palm Desktop but there is no search making the built in app pretty useless. I have tried Evernote on the Pre but there is no search for that either from the Pre side.
    I'm interested, what kind of stuff do you put in your memos? I've never taken to using them and maybe I'm missing a useful feature. I tend to just go on the internet, make appointments, use the internet...
    I would prefer more small updates rather than few big updates. But Palm seriously needs to let us know what they're working on. They don't need to give us every single specific detail, but at least an idea would be nice. Also, some kind of feedback option for that would be nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    I would prefer more small updates rather than few big updates. But Palm seriously needs to let us know what they're working on. They don't need to give us every single specific detail, but at least an idea would be nice. Also, some kind of feedback option for that would be nice.
    Who does that?

I wouldn't mind them telling me what they fixed after the fact tho.
    There is search in Evernote's Pre client. Just go to the main notes view and start typing. The interface is a bit confusing--the little search icon is for notes that are geotagged and such. But, when you start typing, a more general search field pops up.

The Evernote client needs work, but when it's up to snuff will be the premier note-taking tool on the Pre, I'll wager (like it is for many people on other platforms).
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    Who does that?

I wouldn't mind them telling me what they fixed after the fact tho.
    Yea you are right. But how revolutionary would it be if they were the ones to start? Might just net them a few more customers, and stop the slew of returns on the 5th of July the rep at my Sprint store told me they were expecting. Says a lot of people have been calling and complaining to Sprint about the Pre. Says that if PALM doesnt release a MAJOR update before then, its a wrap for them.
    I LOVE THIS TREAD!

It's exactly how I'm feeling.

This OS has so much potential but the holes are killing me.

- NO migration path (Outlook? What's that?)
    - External SD MIA (Apple has two flavors - 16 or 32 GB for X sake - when did Apple EVER offer more then anybody else?!?)
    - Video? Really? Sad.
    - great camera specs but no preferences AND no cover, just a simple sliding plastic cover to keep the pocket lint out. How hard would that be.
    - A little communication would be nice (as mentioned above) Anything.
    - WiFi but no file services
    - USB can't charge the phone????!!!!
    - No USB sync (of any kind - WTF?)
    - I'll stop now on the specifics....

- Simple stuff - World clock, texting that is somewhat similar to EVERYbody else, "About" in the app itself - crazy talk, updates in the app itself - again, crazy talk, simple notification changes (sound, flashing, etc), etc, etc.
    I agree about the camera app. It would be nice to be able to adjust the size and quality of pictures taken. Some editing software and effects would be nice too.
    Quote Originally Posted by PF Graham View Post
    I LOVE THIS TREAD!

WTF?? right back at ya.
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    WTF?? right back at ya.
    hahaha, What are you talking about PF?
    USB definitely syncs,
    Plugging in the USB cord gives you 3 options:
    -Media Sync
    -USB Sync
    -Just Charge

Check your computer
    The Pre's folder should be under 'Computer' in the Start Menu (PC)
    Last edited by boston_ant; 06/29/2009 at 08:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by PF Graham View Post
    I LOVE THIS TREAD!

It's exactly how I'm feeling.

This OS has so much potential but the holes are killing me.

- NO migration path (Outlook? What's that?)
    - External SD MIA (Apple has two flavors - 16 or 32 GB for X sake - when did Apple EVER offer more then anybody else?!?)
    - Video? Really? Sad.
    - great camera specs but no preferences AND no cover, just a simple sliding plastic cover to keep the pocket lint out. How hard would that be.
    - A little communication would be nice (as mentioned above) Anything.
    - WiFi but no file services
    - I'll stop now on the specifics....

- Simple stuff - World clock, texting that is somewhat similar to EVERYbody else, "About" in the app itself - crazy talk, updates in the app itself - again, crazy talk, simple notification changes (sound, flashing, etc), etc, etc.
    Yeah, now that I look at it, your whole post is whack. You love this TREAD?

Where did you get this stuff, the last iCult meeting?
    Use Google calendar with the web browser. It formats really nice and feels like a stand alone app. Also use a separate calendar for your appointments. That way you can turn them on/off view wise.

I have never seen the calendar application lock but I really love using all the Google applications through the web browser. they look and feel great.
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
    Global Posts
    780 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    I'll fix one problem for you, while in the memo app just start typing to perform a search of memos.
    Thanks for that. I read in the users guide that memos were not part of the universal search and I jumped to a bad conclusion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast