Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Today I went to exchange my Pre (June 6th launch) at Best Buy due to a few dead pixels that I didn't feel like settling for. I knew that they would not be getting any new phones in until July 8th but I figured they could give me a loaner while I waited. When I arrived, they took my phone and then "conveniently" 3 Pres just showed up from the UPS guy (this took place when she checked their inventory). She proceeded to open the first up and it had obvious dead pixels (glaring green ones at the top notification area). The second one I received has the white blotches along the bottom. The third I refused to even look at and told them I want one that comes in on July 8th.

I suspect Best Buy is getting exchanges, either from their own stores or including Sprint stores, and just moving them around nationally hoping that new customers won't notice. Why else would their second wave of Pres being smaller than the launch number which in my state - AZ averaged 4 a store. Anyone else been sold a Pre today from BB?

Also, does anyone know if the second batch of Pres are shipping with 1.0.3 on them... the last I heard, only 1.0.2 was coming pre-loaded on some phones.
    Last edited by xThe IceMaN; 06/29/2009 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Clarification
    Best Buy is notorious for doing this kind of thing. I avoid BB like the plague.
    I got a Curve 8330 for Verizon at Best Buy about a month ago (since canceled, returned, and switched to Sprint). When you activate a BlackBerry, you get an e-mail confimation to the phone. When I got my confirmation, I also noticed one from January 2009 in the inbox.

Also, slightly less shady was the fact that the clear protectors on the phone were all peeling around the edges, as though an employee tried to put them back on, but did a poor job.
    i have had 3 pre's and actually think it may be impossible to get one without a problem. i guarantee if you went to a sprint store, you would experience the same defects with their "new" phones. All 3 of mine have come from a sprint corp. store.
    I have read about Best Buy doing this before so it wouldn't suprise me...
    I did an exchange at Best Buy last Friday for the loose battery causing the phone to shut off and they gave ma a brand new one without batting an eye lash. I hope the new one doesn't have the same problem. I am not snapping the slider shut anymore though.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by med8869 View Post

I have had 3 pre's, and actually think it may be impossible to get one without a problem ...
    Not true. I got mine from a Sprint store on launch day. Besides a slight wiggle when the phone is closed, the thing is pretty much flawless.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Wow. Is this thread serious? What the crap do you think is happening? The Best Buy Elves are all sitting in the warehouse purposely destroying phones hoping you don't notice while all the employees watch you take the exchange on camera and laugh as you walk out the door?

Best Buy doesn't care if you exchange phones. It doesn't cost them anything. Any retailer who buys from a supplier gets their money back for defective units. Plus, why would any retailer hold sellable product from a customer. They are in SALES!!!

Seriously, people who believe in conspiracies like this just kill me. It's a fricken bad batch man, it happens.

ps......they're watching you
    i had just exchanged mine at best buy (manager that helped me was awesome) and it had loaded up with the 1.03 update
    They do this with videogame consoles, too.

And I don;t think it's just Best Buy, either, especially with "cosmetic" damages that most people won't notice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil1528 View Post
    Wow. Is this thread serious? What the crap do you think is happening? The Best Buy Elves are all sitting in the warehouse purposely destroying phones hoping you don't notice while all the employees watch you take the exchange on camera and laugh as you walk out the door?

Best Buy doesn't care if you exchange phones. It doesn't cost them anything. Any retailer who buys from a supplier gets their money back for defective units. Plus, why would any retailer hold sellable product from a customer. They are in SALES!!!

Seriously, people who believe in conspiracies like this just kill me. It's a fricken bad batch man, it happens.

When I buy a "new" BB Curve that someone at Best Buy left the prior (by four months) activation e-mail on, it's not exactly a conspiracy theory. Best Buy, as with most cell phone carriers, allows returns for any reason within 30 days. Likely they are putting phones back in the boxes that the customers do not specifically say are broken, or they use their own judgment. Regardless, Best Buy is definitely reselling slightly used phones as "new."

You're very naive if you think BB and other stores don't do such things as repackage returned items and sell them as new. Not all stores do this, but it wouldn't surprise me that this was just the case with the OP, especially since the Pre is in short stock.
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
    Not true. I got mine from a Sprint store on launch day. Besides a slight wiggle when the phone is closed, the thing is pretty much flawless.
    Mine too. No problems.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlaqkAudio View Post
    You're very naive if you think BB and other stores don't do such things as repackage returned items and sell them as new. Not all stores do this, but it wouldn't surprise me that this was just the case with the OP, especially since the Pre is in short stock.
    When Best Buy returns a phone, it only allows the phone to be shipped back to the manufacturer, not the sales floor. The registers do this automatically. It is physically impossible for you to get someone else's cell phone. I know this because my friend works there.

At best, because they don't have live demo's, you might get a phone that has been used to show another customer a feature, but you will not get someone else's return.

This is a fact. Just cause someone got burned at a random store by a random employee does not sum up the entire existence of a major company.
    I've heard of best buy doing this also with Camera's where the geek squad will use them and repackage them, there was a story on this a year ago or so where the person found pictures of the geek squad member on the camera itself.
    i don't think there is such a thing as a problem free pre
    This thread makes me LoL. I work at Best Buy/ Geek Squad as a part time on top of my normal full time. We do resell returns on certain items that we are allowed to by the manufacturer... BUT they are clearly labeled as OPEN BOX and sold at a 10% discount. ALL mobile phones are automatically sent back to the manufacturer; the unit used as a demo is locked up and cannot be sold for any reason.

The thing about Geek Squad using a camera is funny also. That was probably a display unit used by Digital Imaging and would carry the OPEN BOX tag. We are not even allowed to open an item to show a customer for a few seconds without tagging it as open box. First offense you get fired on the spot, and it has happened. The manager gave the customer a new Archos with a 25% discount as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by xThe IceMaN View Post
    Today I went to exchange my Pre (June 6th launch) at Best Buy due to a few dead pixels that I didn't feel like settling for. I knew that they would not be getting any new phones in until July 8th but I figured they could give me a loaner while I waited. When I arrived, they took my phone and then "conveniently" 3 Pres just showed up from the UPS guy (this took place when she checked their inventory). She proceeded to open the first up and it had obvious dead pixels (glaring green ones at the top notification area). The second one I received has the white blotches along the bottom. The third I refused to even look at and told them I want one that comes in on July 8th.

I suspect Best Buy is getting exchanges, either from their own stores or including Sprint stores, and just moving them around nationally hoping that new customers won't notice. Why else would their second wave of Pres being smaller than the launch number which in my state - AZ averaged 4 a store. Anyone else been sold a Pre today from BB?

Also, does anyone know if the second batch of Pres are shipping with 1.0.3 on them... the last I heard, only 1.0.2 was coming pre-loaded on some phones.
    Ive had to replace phones so much at best buy, they always get the crappy inventory, i wouldnt be surprised if its defective units shipped around.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Prasamaccus View Post
    This thread makes me LoL. I work at Best Buy/ Geek Squad as a part time on top of my normal full time. We do resell returns on certain items that we are allowed to by the manufacturer... BUT they are clearly labeled as OPEN BOX and sold at a 10% discount. ALL mobile phones are automatically sent back to the manufacturer; the unit used as a demo is locked up and cannot be sold for any reason.

The thing about Geek Squad using a camera is funny also. That was probably a display unit used by Digital Imaging and would carry the OPEN BOX tag. We are not even allowed to open an item to show a customer for a few seconds without tagging it as open box. First offense you get fired on the spot, and it has happened. The manager gave the customer a new Archos with a 25% discount as well.
    Exactly
  20.    #20  
    What the crap do you think is happening? The Best Buy Elves are all sitting in the warehouse purposely destroying phones
    First off, I didn't say they were destroying Pres on purpose. I said I suspected they were reselling exchanged phones as new to naive customers who don't look for screen issues.

It doesn't cost them anything.
    Perhaps, but it certainly doesn't make them money either. If they have to send them back, that's time/customers lost who could potentially go buy the phone from Sprint stores instead of waiting.

Plus, why would any retailer hold sellable product from a customer. They are in SALES!!!
    This only further proves my point that Best Buy wouldn't hold "sellable" product... they would repackage the phone and sell it as new.

Ps... go **** yourself!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast