Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Just got my Pre this afternoon. After reading all of the horror stories on Precentral.net, let's just my expectation levels are...moderated :-) My apologies in advance...this is not really a review, but more of an unorganized, rambling "first impressions" after using the Pre for about an hour.

I'm very impressed by WebOS and the browser. Not so impressed by the lagginess and I'm expecting the worst for battery life (I've already turned off Location Finder, set Gmail and Exchange EAS to sync every 30 minutes).

Like most everyone, I'm disappointed in the lack of apps. HOWEVER, this is not the end of the world. I applaud Palm for trying to keep quality control in check. This will have a lot to do with the Pre and Palm's success in the future. However, they have to show a commitment to the Development community and to continue improving WebOS. Requiring patience from customers is one thing (hello, Apple..where's the cut and paste? OK, you've released it once you've figured out how to do it right.) However, given Palm's track history, I'm concerned that they'll just abandon dev on WebOS.

OK..back to first impression. First thing I did was setup Gmail and Exchange EAS. I noticed I was constantly reaching for the menu button the keyboard. I really, really wished they had that on the keyboard (maybe it's a strategic decision to save users from themselves and not mess with default options.) This proved to be a problem when setting up Exchange EAS as the account setup defaulted to POP (yuck!) Once I figured out that the "menu" is available at the top of the screen, I was able to setup EAS just fine. The Contacts, Global Address Search, and Calendar syncing works beautifully. Again, really impressed.

Next, I downloaded a few apps. The Pandora app is excellent. I anticipate using this a lot..more so than iTunes syncing. I also played with the NY Times, Associate Press, and mCraigslist apps. These ran well for the most part, but I've yet to figure out what advantages they have over the web browser. I can't wait to try out the rest of the apps.

The web browser is excellent. After suffering with Blazer for so many years and oogling the iPhone browser, it's nice to have a browser that can render full webpages (and apparently faster than the iPhone). I tried to go to a mobile site, http://m.wimbledon.org. However, I ended up at the full site. I need to mess with this more and try to figure out how to "force" the mobile sites when possible.

The keyboard, IMHO, is better than the Centro. While not the best (Blackberry), it's definitely useable and probably the main reason I haven't switched to the iPhone. When I used the phone at the store, I never ran into the problem that others reported where their fingers would bump into the screen "slab" when trying to access keys on the upper row. However, if I had the phone fairly vertical while typing, my thumbs did hit the screen while trying to use the upper row. If you tilt the keyboard forward just a little (so that it's more horizontal), the problem went away.

...haven't made any phone calls or txt yet. I'm anticipating these will be OK based on other reviews.

Overall, I like the phone (and may grow to love it). Lol...no buyer's remorse quite yet. While it would be awesome if Pre had all the cool iPhone apps and support, I've found, for myself, that after a few weeks of trying to install everything under the sun on my phone (a zillion launchers, PDANet, etc, etc.) I end up just using the basic features on my Palm to make calls, text, browse the web occasionally. So I'm going to try my darnedest to NOT mess with / customize my Pre too much until I get a good sense of its limits and workflows and to also let the OS mature a little bit. E.g., I'll pretend it's an iPhone and I can only do the 1-4 things Apple gives me the option of doing at any given time.

My wishlist:
    - WMWiFiRouter-like tethering app. I got sick of dealing with Bluetooth headaches on my laptop with PDANet. No more setting Bluetooth COM ports!
    - Better battery life. OK, this may not be fair since I've yet to go through a charge cycle. However, I'm anticipating crappy battery life.
    - iPhone-like magnifying glass when trying to place the cursor in text.
    - Easier charging access (that's not a $70 touchstone). I thought I was going to break the case when trying to connect the charger for the first time.
    - Release it on ALL major carriers. The critical mass of phones will dictate the success of the App store, accessories, device interoperability, etc.

My phone history:
    Kyocera Palm phone, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700w, Centro, Pre. (Everytime I swear off Palm, I manage to get the next release.)
    Last edited by markdinh; 06/29/2009 at 05:09 PM.
    A couple of thoughts:

My battery life is pretty good. But I bought a car charger and a monoprice wall chsrger to help.

You can get a Touchstone for about $50-55. It's still overpriced, but not so outrageous. I ended up getting one and I LOVE it, both for the convienence and also for the great-feeling back cover.
    The Pre is a nice device that needs some work. Coming from an iphone my biggest issue is speed and general laginess of the applications. Other than that calendar, media and email apps need work not only in speed but features. This is all stuff that palm can fix / add the question is only if / when.

I'm not happy at Palm's silence concerning what they are working on and what to expect. I'm also not happy with the official SDK still 2 months away.

So while the good base to build on is there there is still much work to be done.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Just to play devil's advocate, what if they did release the SDK upon Pre release and it's a half-baked SDK? It would turn off even more developers and/or result in some crappy, unstable releases? Then we'd be complaining about stability and the lack of apps in __ months.

I hate to say it, but I'd rather they take their time and get it done right eventually, rather than make crazy promises (iphone-killer? puhleez). I would agree they need to focus on the lag and make sure the basics like answer calls works consistently.

BTW, I'm not an apple fanboy. I finally bought my first ipod a few months back and have had a mac mini for three years now for my HTPC. Otherwise, I have a Windows laptop and netbook and use Windows at work. While I get frustrated in the lack of features sometimes, I do appreciate the approach they take in terms of keeping things simple and working.

Update: had my first unintended dropped call. Lol...it was Sprint calling me back too and I swear I hit the green answer button.

Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    The Pre is a nice device that needs some work. Coming from an iphone my biggest issue is speed and general laginess of the applications. Other than that calendar, media and email apps need work not only in speed but features. This is all stuff that palm can fix / add the question is only if / when.

I'm not happy at Palm's silence concerning what they are working on and what to expect. I'm also not happy with the official SDK still 2 months away.

So while the good base to build on is there there is still much work to be done.
    The only thing the NYT's app has over the mobile site is the font size. It's beta, and doesn't do landscape. It has ads.

Try this for NYT's and some other mobile sites.

http://m.forums.precentral.net/showt...55#post1716155

Landcape and page down gesture is a main reason I'm keeping the Pre.
    Resurrecting old thread to say that I got my Pre on Friday evening. Upgraded to 1.4 right away. Was previously using a Sprint Centro. Before that was Cingular Treo 650.

My first impressions are VERY positive. I love the hardware. No oreo, no screen problems, no problems whatsoever. I do wish the phone was a *little* larger so that we could have a larger screen, larger keyboard and larger battery. However, I'm happy with the way it is. Small is a good thing, and I think they make the most of the size with the large screen and the slide out keyboard.

The user interface is amazing. It only took me a couple of hours to totally embrace the new way. Now I totally love it. Here are some ramblings of my own:

*I like the snugness of the USB port. Not too crazy about the little cover, but it has done all right so far. As long as I don't break it off it will be o.k. I suppose.

*I don't like having fingerprints all over the screen. I kept my Centro and Treo screens spotless all the time. Not a big deal, though. Just a minor nag.

*My battery life has been adequate, but I am usually where I can recharge any time I want. I usually keep it plugged in at my desk, so it stays topped off. And I have a couple of spare Centro batteries that I can use in a pinch.

*I don't need millions of apps. The Pandora app totally rocks! I also found a good Bible app. It is very easy to find and install apps, which is a big improvement for Palm. Not that it was hard before, but easier is better. I'm looking forward to writing some apps of my own, which I couldn't do for my Treo/Centro.

*The camera works pretty well. It is hard to hold it steady enough to take a sharp picture. Maybe I'll try one outside where there is lots of light. The video is a huge improvement over my Centro.

*The "too many cards" bug needs to get fixed right away. If I were Palm, I would put lots of people working on the problem and get a patch out ASAP. The phone cannot work as intended with this bug. I have to restart two or three times a day for this. Unacceptable, but hopefully Palm will fix it soon.

*It is nice to be able to use the full version of websites instead of the mobile ones. The web browser is very good. I'm looking forward to getting "Flash" working in the near future, hopefully.

Overall, I'm very happy with my Pre. My daughter got a Pixi, and I really like it, too. I guess its time to start looking into some patches... ;-)
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    For those of you who want more battery life. Get a Mugen 1400 Mah battery for 30 bucks and use your palm one as a back up. It gives you a few more hours juice.. more than enough to make it through a full day.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Thanks. I have definely been reading the newb guide. It is great.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.