Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    excuse my ignorance on this topic. but can the camera on the pre autofocus if the correct software is loaded/written or is that a hardware upgrade that is required.

thanks
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    I don't think this is something a software can do, it's a hardware issue.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    I don't think the Pre's camera has auto focus.

According to Wikipedia which we all know is right "The Pre has a 3.2 megapixel camera with LED flash, "extended depth of field", and geotagging"
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Autofocus will require new hardware. The camera we get is decent for a cellcam and all your pictures will be good if you keep your hands stead and remember to keep the subject between 18" and infinity.

Also, keep in mind the spacebar doubles as the shutter button. It's easier to hold the camera with that in mind because the touchscreen button tends to cause camera shake.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    No, the pre definately does not have any autofocus, as evidenced by the photos I took last week of a "visitor" on the windshield of my car...

I sure wish I could get closer with photos. With my 755p I could get pretty close to things and take a reasonable closeup photo...
    I like that last picture, its kinda cool
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    I like that last picture, its kinda cool
    Haha, yeah. That line in the photo makes it look like a gigantic tightrope walker.
    ^^That's what I thought too! Post it on Flicker!
    Perhaps the Pre's camera hardware is AF capable, but Palm has implemented the software side yet?
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcigary View Post
    I sure wish I could get closer with photos. With my 755p I could get pretty close to things and take a reasonable closeup photo...
    First off, Tightroping Mantis = Excellent!

Yeah. Its always weird when a smartphone can't do a simple task that a plain old cheapie phone can do. (Macro, voice dial on Pre, MMS on iPhone etc)
    Last edited by Urkel; 06/29/2009 at 08:49 PM.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ranzchic View Post
    ^^That's what I thought too! Post it on Flicker!
    Ok, posted!

Now how come I can't see that my photo was taken with a Palm Pre, but I can see everyone else's where it says it was taken with a Pre?